Excellent Value
By jrbruner on
2002 Mitsubishi Diamante LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)
I love this car. I read all the reviews before I bought this car, and the power train was highly rated. This car is quiet, comfortable, powerful and reliable. I have the LS with the heated, 8-way power seats w/power lumbar and love it. This car was virtually unchanged from 98 until last year, 2004. The engine is smooth, and responsive and I get much better mileage than edmunds says. I measured 30 mpg highway in SoCal. Transmission failed at 75k (apparently common). Had it fixed by the pros at SoCal Transmission in San Diego and not a lick of trouble since. Heater core is recurrent problem w/these cars. These sell for much less than comp. Acura CL or 3.2 TL.
Favorite Features
This car is a beautiful balance of luxury and performance. Front wheel drive provides responsive, secure handling. I'd like to try the VR-X, but wouldn't give up the luxury features of the LS. The VR-X is supposed to have tighter, sport-tuned suspension, but its the same engine,, but tweaked to produce only 5 more horses. 205 horses from the 3.0 litre in the LS is more than adequate. Apparently since Mitsubishi exited the luxury car market in 2005, these cars have not held their value. Luckily, these feature-rich, beautiful cars can now be picked up cheap -- for much less than comparable Acura or Lexus models. I Think I'll have another . . .
Suggested Improvements
Irrelevant since last model year was 2004.