2002 Mitsubishi Diamante - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Diamante model:
Excellent Value
By jrbruner on 08/07/12 18:16 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Diamante LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car. I read all the reviews before I bought this car, and the power train was highly rated. This car is quiet, comfortable, powerful and reliable. I have the LS with the heated, 8-way power seats w/power lumbar and love it. This car was virtually unchanged from 98 until last year, 2004. The engine is smooth, and responsive and I get much better mileage than edmunds says. I measured 30 mpg highway in SoCal. Transmission failed at 75k (apparently common). Had it fixed by the pros at SoCal Transmission in San Diego and not a lick of trouble since. Heater core is recurrent problem w/these cars. These sell for much less than comp. Acura CL or 3.2 TL.

Started out ok
By bconboy on 12/28/11 13:27 PM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Diamante LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

In its early years this car was a good car, some maintenance as expected I guess (but pretty pricy for this imported car). But as others have said, once things started going, they went fast. Had to replace alternator, muffler, tires (worn on inside) and I don't know what else in a pretty short amount of time, and now it sometimes won't even start. I've asked around and no one knows why, we replaced the magnet at the end of the crankshaft, because it had actually blinked out and died on me while driving, but seemed to be only a temporary solution.

Big Mistake
By never again on 01/11/10 14:19 PM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Diamante LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Worst mistake I made, uncomfortable ride, too much road noise, just generally unhappy with the car. Didn't want to be upside down on a trade, so I kept it. Lots of little annoying problems, that I was not used to dealing with in other cars purchase. Due to road noise would rent a car if going over 100 miles. Just bought 2010 Acura. I'll never go back.

Diamante
By Tribefire on 10/04/09 14:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Diamante VR-X 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The Mitsubishi Diamante Vr-X is a fun fast ride but since I purchased it I have had to put a lot of money into it... the heater core went around 75k, and it's conveniently place on the firewall so the job itself is a nightmare, I haven't met a Diamante driver past 80k who didn't have to do the same, now I'm having trouble with the 02 sensors, I replaced 3 last year and this year the fourth went. I'd say the car would be worth it if it didn't cost so much to maintain. About 1500$ for the heater core repair and about the same for the o2 sensor work.

100,000 Miles 2002 Diamante LS
By MN on 03/24/09 10:13 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Diamante LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my LS for just over 4 years now and have just under 100,000 miles on it having purchased it used with 17k miles. I test drove a variety of vehicles at the time within my price range and options requirements. Nothing else came close to the value of this car. Pblms at 100k miles: 1. One door speaker needs to be replaced 2. Antenna no longer retracts. 3. Roof Liner in back has started to droop Minor issues, but lead to a problem; replacement parts are hard to come by due to the rarity of the car. Mechanically its been a rock. Zero Dollars past scheduled maintenance so far. I am still in love with this car 4 years later.

Great car
By Myfirstreview on 03/15/09 13:05 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Diamante LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car was purchased in 2003, It now has 140,000 miles on it. After about 130,000k, it started to burn a little oil at high rpms, guess this is kinda my fault for always driving like a maniac and always in a hurry.. Anyways, now, if i keep it at low rpms the engine is fine, I haven't had any problems with the transmission, heater and a/c works great.. Has been in two wrecks and this car holds up really well, regular maintenance and good driving habits this car will last a LONG time.. I mean, nothing is broken, it all works fine, and is what, 8 years old with 140k miles on it, great buy!

Great Car!!!
By RRR on 02/19/09 15:50 PM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Diamante LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent car for the price. Handles well in snow and all has all the goodies for the price.

Vroom with a VRX
By Frank S. on 10/08/08 09:18 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Diamante VR-X 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been a dream. Lots of power when you need it and a nice sporty feel and sound. Speaking of sound the audio/radio is a great system. There has been no mechanical issues other than oil, brakes and tires. The tires on mine have only about 2,000 miles on them and they are top quality. I had automatic start installed which is nice in bad weather. We no longer need another vehicle so I'm parting with it.

Looks Great!
By 7Mick on 07/29/08 19:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Diamante LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Overall I love this car. Like many others though. I too had the transmission problems. Even after the fix. Still not right! The car is so great to look at. Kind of a Beemer front and a Volvo back. But very unique. Drives like a much bigger car with its smooth ride. I am a chauffeur and when I get out of my town car I don't mind jumping into this car!

i love it
By john on 05/07/08 23:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Diamante LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

First I felt love by the look, but soon I've realized its performance. I wish we could buy this car in Europe. One of the best looking car I have ever seen. More luxurious than the price tag would tell you.