Used 1998 Mitsubishi Diamante Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mitsubishi Diamante - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Diamante model:

Solid and Safe
By Max

1998 Mitsubishi Diamante ES 4dr Sedan

I was driving my Diamante last weekend and hit a patch of black ice while taking a turn on a raised interstate. My car went into a spin and hit a concrete sidewall at about 35-40 MPH. It bounced off the front and back left bumpers before stopping. The only damage is to the bumpers and lights. The car still drives straight and has no mechanical problems, but most important of all, my two passengers and I are unhurt. This is one solid and safe car.

It is built solidly, reliable, has good performance, and sharp looks even 10 years later.

It has poor interior lighting. The availability of parts is poor, you have to special order air filters.

GOOD CAR
By TIM J

1998 Mitsubishi Diamante ES 4dr Sedan

We bought our ES with 49K. My wife usually drives it. Both our sons and I really enjoy the acceleration of this car. The powertrain is awesome. I am a diehard Diamante lover. Their value does plummet, so buy while still under factory warranty, and let someone else bite the bullet on the depreciation. I also own a Diamante Wagon with nearly 300k. These cars ARE well made in my opinion.

Engine/tranny combination

Side airbags. Really doesn't matter since they don't make them any more.

Good value
By Casey

1998 Mitsubishi Diamante ES 4dr Sedan

I bought this car after owning a string of American cars which fell apart on me. I bought it with 83k on it and have added another 20k, about 1/2 hwy miles. The car looks great and performs well. I live in Colorado and the 210 HP engine will keep the car accellerating all the way to the top of the Rockies on I-70. The digital climate control works great, the factory stereo sounds awesome and the only thing I've had to replace on the car is the brake pads. Mileage I get is about 20 cty, 30 hwy. The car does have more depreciation than it's competition, but to me that just means less money I had to pay for it.

Good power, nice styling, roomy interior and trunk, leather, instruments, stereo, power moonroof.

Interior lighting is virtually non-existent. Adaptive transmission can be finicky at times. I'd like to see more aftermarket parts available, particularly euro style tail-lamps.

1998 Mitsubishi Diamante - Good car
By chad

1998 Mitsubishi Diamante ES 4dr Sedan

The 1998 Mitsubishi Diamante is a good entry level luxury car. It has over 200 hp, a good ride, is roomy, cheaper than a Lexus ES 300, comfortable seats, and looks like some older model BMWs. I still think it looks very sexy and up to date looking at it from the front / front quarter. it has always shimmied a little and the air conditioning makes a little more noise than I like when at a stop. No one notices this but me and the dealership says both issues are common for the car. At 85,000 miles I began noticing the transmission sometimes slips. Also, I had to replace the heater core, but I have not had to make any other major repairs in six years.

The looks.

Add better interior lighting and a better engine mount.

Upside potential
By Yuppie

1998 Mitsubishi Diamante LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used and have been driving it ever since. It has the style and finesse to hang with the big boys but won't break the bank. Surprisingly fun to drive and very reliable. Overall a great buy.

Infinity stereo and roominess (I'm 6'5)

Interior lighting leaves a little to be desired.