1998 Mitsubishi Diamante - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Diamante model:
Pretty Decent Car
By jimr91 on 04/04/14 00:27 AM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Diamante ES 4dr Sedan

I bought my Diamante for $1200 and I'm not disappointed. It has problems starting even after i replaced the starter but she runs. Smooth riding car. I used to have a 2011 Kia soul and my Diamante handles a lot better. I wasn't expecting a nice engine but I'm amazed at how nice it is. One big problem i have with it is 3 of my door handles are broken. I know someone who had the same problem with theirs. Another small problem i have with this car is it feels a little cramped on the inside. My knees want to rest on the wheel. She's old and needs some more work done but for a $1200 car with 125,000 miles on it I'm very happy with it.

Idle miss fire, electrical problem, Rides Nice
By mikedennehy70 on 03/06/11 08:48 AM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Diamante LS 4dr Sedan

Just bought a 1998 Diamante for 2,700, after getting new tires and fixing a bad front brake caliper it rides nice. I am still working on what I think is an electrical problem. The doors unlock on their own at random and the car can be on or off. Also,the engine idle miss fire still have not figured out. Check engine light is not on. Runs great but still need to figure out these problems befor I say its a good car.

What A Bargain
By Fordham on 07/10/10 02:59 AM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Diamante LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my LS for 12,500 in 2003 and have never had a problem with it. It is faster than the Altima and Camry, and has beautiful Leather and wood inside. I get 30 mpg on the highway.

8 Years now
By Sov1 on 12/03/09 10:55 AM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Diamante ES 4dr Sedan

I've had this Diamante since early 2002. I love its look, the way it (used to) drive, and the driver comfort. As the years went on & I put more miles on it, of course, more went wrong with it. It's down right now, needing its third alternator. It has over 197,000 miles on it, though, and overall, I'm pleased with its life performance. It has a power steering problem (seems like fluid leak) that neither of my mechanics can fix. In the last 3 months, the steering has also become a bit less reliable - you have to turn the wheel more if you round a curve at over 35 mph.

Goo Buy for a Used Car
By Tekball9 on 09/14/08 10:17 AM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Diamante ES 4dr Sedan

I bought this 98 Diamante with 156K miles in it. So far I've had it for few months and no problem at all as far as maintenance. The only issue I have is the antenna makes this weird noise when I turn the radio on and it doesn't want to go down when I turn the radio off. The paint in the back if oxidizing but I think the previous owner really never took care of the waxing part. It's a fun car to drive with the luxury feel to it. I recommend buying one.

Solid and Safe
By Max on 01/17/07 15:34 PM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Diamante ES 4dr Sedan

I was driving my Diamante last weekend and hit a patch of black ice while taking a turn on a raised interstate. My car went into a spin and hit a concrete sidewall at about 35-40 MPH. It bounced off the front and back left bumpers before stopping. The only damage is to the bumpers and lights. The car still drives straight and has no mechanical problems, but most important of all, my two passengers and I are unhurt. This is one solid and safe car.

GOOD CAR
By TIM J on 07/15/05 19:58 PM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Diamante ES 4dr Sedan

We bought our ES with 49K. My wife usually drives it. Both our sons and I really enjoy the acceleration of this car. The powertrain is awesome. I am a diehard Diamante lover. Their value does plummet, so buy while still under factory warranty, and let someone else bite the bullet on the depreciation. I also own a Diamante Wagon with nearly 300k. These cars ARE well made in my opinion.

Good value
By Casey on 06/24/05 10:57 AM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Diamante ES 4dr Sedan

I bought this car after owning a string of American cars which fell apart on me. I bought it with 83k on it and have added another 20k, about 1/2 hwy miles. The car looks great and performs well. I live in Colorado and the 210 HP engine will keep the car accellerating all the way to the top of the Rockies on I-70. The digital climate control works great, the factory stereo sounds awesome and the only thing I've had to replace on the car is the brake pads. Mileage I get is about 20 cty, 30 hwy. The car does have more depreciation than it's competition, but to me that just means less money I had to pay for it.

1998 Mitsubishi Diamante - Good car
By chad on 03/12/05 13:42 PM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Diamante ES 4dr Sedan

The 1998 Mitsubishi Diamante is a good entry level luxury car. It has over 200 hp, a good ride, is roomy, cheaper than a Lexus ES 300, comfortable seats, and looks like some older model BMWs. I still think it looks very sexy and up to date looking at it from the front / front quarter. it has always shimmied a little and the air conditioning makes a little more noise than I like when at a stop. No one notices this but me and the dealership says both issues are common for the car. At 85,000 miles I began noticing the transmission sometimes slips. Also, I had to replace the heater core, but I have not had to make any other major repairs in six years.

Upside potential
By Yuppie on 04/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Diamante LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used and have been driving it ever since. It has the style and finesse to hang with the big boys but won't break the bank. Surprisingly fun to drive and very reliable. Overall a great buy.