Used 1997 Mitsubishi Diamante Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mitsubishi Diamante - Consumer Reviews

1997 Mitsubishi Diamante

View reviews for a specific Diamante model:

I love my Mitz
By Jamie0827

1997 Mitsubishi Diamante ES 4dr Sedan

I am a proud owner of a "Mitz" Mitsubishi Diamante. I love my car it's fast, nice inside and out, and it's good on gas, I got it used and I have not had any problems with it since. (Thank GOD!) I also just love the color it like a baby blue, also like no other.

EVERYTHING

The only thing I don't like about the car is there are no lights in the back, and the lights in the front are very dim and you can't use them to look in the back because they are made facing the driver and passenger. I am talking about interior only!

Still Happy!
By Tommysgirl3

1997 Mitsubishi Diamante ES 4dr Sedan

Except for the quirky little jerk sometimes while the transmission shifts to 2nd gear, this is one of the best cars I have ever owned. No maintenance issues, great gas mileage and an overall reliable vehicle. I purchased it in 2000 with 37,000; I'm now at 98,000 miles with years to go.

Comfort and style are second to none with a roomy trunk to boot. Plenty of power and easily manuevered.

I understand the 1997 transmission issue is a quirk that Mitsubishi corrected in 1998 models. That aside, the only other issue I have had is that the rear-view mirror has been replaced twice. It isn't anchored very well and vibrates loose.

Rough in the Diamante
By Mauricio

1997 Mitsubishi Diamante ES 4dr Sedan

I bought my Diamante with 77,000 miles for cheap. It's a dream ride. It's quiet, powerful, smooth. But it's a heavy car, so the brakes go fast and they are not strong enough for the car. The transmission is not strong enough either. Over a long period and it starts to fail when down shifting. It seems like it's a common problem on high mileage Diamantes. A lot of little things have started to go wrong. The AC started failing. The trunk didn't open from inside anymore. The leather seat started ripping, etc. They are excellent cars for a while. The drop in the bucket was the failing distributor at 99,000 miles. After that, I had to sell it. Too bad, they are not easy to find and I miss it.

I love the great engine, it was like new at 99,000 miles. The rest of the car didn't agree. It has a smooth ride and a great sound. It couldn't compete with other luxury in the market.

Its gas mileage was only 18-20 MPG in the city, which is just OK nowadays when the Prius is making 60 MPG. Better parts would be nice, specially better brakes and transmission. It drives like a big car. I would like to see a tighter wheel and not such a soft suspension.

Bought It New
By bsm

1997 Mitsubishi Diamante LS 4dr Sedan

The car has been a dream. It has over 182,000 miles and my only problem was the brakes initially until a mechanic changed me to another brake pad. I will probably get over 300,000 miles out of the car. This is the only car in my life I have ever kept for more than two years. Its transmission seems odd to other drivers who borrow the car but that is because it adapts to each drivers driving habits after about three or four times they have driven it consecutively. This is the best money I have ever spent on a car.

The style of the car and the reliability.

Why did you stop making the car?

Love this car!
By Rev Dee

1997 Mitsubishi Diamante ES 4dr Sedan

I have had my 1997 Mitsubishi Diamante for four years and have had very few problems. I love the torque and the ride. I also love the look and the feel.

The way it handles.