1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Fun to Drive
By Alex

1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT 2dr Coupe

Second Mitsubishi 3000 GT I've owned. The body is beautiful, slick and aerodynamic. The interior panel with amazing display. More fun to drive than my other 2 newer and more expensive vehicles.

Favorite Features

Exterior aerodynamic style and road stability.

Suggested Improvements

Back seat needs more room.

Great Machine
By Knightstar

1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 Turbo 2dr Coupe AWD

Mits came up with a solid winner with this car. Even though it is a little heavy with AWD and all wheel steering, acceleration is fierce at 5.3 sec/>60 mph. The VR-4 is well built and very dependable. I bought mine new and has 71,000 miles now. Although the car is expensive, you get more than you paid for. Even in wet weather, the car never fish tails or slips its tracking around corners, thanks to AW steering. Yes, the rear wheels turn up to 15 degrees in proportion to the front wheels steering. The 320 HP rating can be increased relatively cheaply w/intake and exhaust mods to 400 HP!

Favorite Features

The VR-4 comes with all the performance you would need for everyday driving and safety. Excellent craftsmanship and materials.

Suggested Improvements

Performance can be greatly improved with low restriction intake and exhaust plumbing/performance mufflers

1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT
By starquest

1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 Turbo 2dr Coupe AWD

I've had this car for about 8 years and counting. Starting with the bad experience, I had to replace my tranny twice. Other than that, the car is great. I raced against a 2000 viper and won among other races. With the radio controls on my steering wheel, I never take my eyes off the road. It feels comfortable on the road. It pulls real hard on the take off when the pedal is to the metal. The interior is nice. I've recently upgraded the turbo, carbon fiber hood and light weight fly wheel. This car is a monster.

Favorite Features

AWD, the rear spoiler and the big front brake calipers.

Suggested Improvements

Tranny.

Great Vehicle
By JB

1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT 2dr Coupe

I have been working with vehicles for a long time and I have found the 3000gt to be very fun with a very good body design. Also they are very fast when modified correctly.

Favorite Features

Body design.

Suggested Improvements

Ability to fit wider tires.

GT collector
By JayBird

1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT 2dr Coupe

I collect 2nd gen 3000GTs and currently have 4. I've only owned this 97 GT for a few years and I am still impressed with it. It had 187,000 miles on it when I bought it and it now has 234,000 miles. The only problems so far were the rear brake calipers went out on it and the exhaust downpipe. But other than that it is a great car, quick and reliable. It is a big car, though, clearing in at 7ft wide and 14ft long. It sticks to the road. It is a shame that they could not produce them cheaper to keep them around but at least they outlived their twin, the Dodge Stealth, and the over priced Toyota Supra. The 97 GT is a great car if you can find one.

Favorite Features

The best dash layout I have ever seen, great body curves, even the big famous 97 hoop wing is a great feature! The engine has a lot of snap even at factory tuned. I even approve of the ground clearance.. 10 1/2" . Just an overall great car.

Suggested Improvements

I do not understand why they would ever put a single overhead cam in a 3000GT! What a waste!! The rear seats could have been set back some more for rider room. The skid plate under the front could have been 1 piece instead of 3. The rims could have looked a little better... but its great.

My Car
By blkdrgn

1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 Turbo 2dr Coupe AWD

I have very few problems with this car. It handles great on street and highway driving. It gets the ladies. It is very fun to modify if you like to do that. It has a very nice layout for the dash and gauges.

Favorite Features

The turbo, steering, handling, AWD, AWS, ABS, and looks, and interior design.

Suggested Improvements

It should have more head room, cheaper replacement parts, and a better engine layout (you have to take off to many parts to get to one simple thing).

Lightning on four wheels
By Mike

1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 Turbo 2dr Coupe AWD

I bought my '97 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4, in black on black, brand new with seven miles on it, when I drove it off the lot. This car, even with AWD and all wheel steering, topping the scale at 4,000 lbs, still whoops some serious booty. I disconnected the oxygen sensor and added a free breather filter. Now it routinely outruns Cobras, Vettes and 911s. I don't know how much HP this trick added, but it must be significant. The rest of the car is entirely stock, except for air horns, which I added.

Favorite Features

The car is exceptionally well designed and crafted with superior materials, with looks that still inspire awe.

My 3000GT Review
By Scott

1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL 2dr Coupe

My car is fun to drive and I love all the reactions I get from it and how people come up to me and ask questions about it. But the only problem i have with it so far is some pulleys and transmisson, however, the person before me raced it so it was going out sooner or later. If you get the chance to either buy one or just to drive one I would go for the VR-4 which is twin turbo AWD. Sooner or later im going to get the twin turbo in my car.

Favorite Features

Just how nice it looks and I love all the attention it gives me.

Suggested Improvements

If there's away I would either put more room in it or no back seats, either one however don't touch the body of the car.

Great car
By tom gilligan

1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL 2dr Coupe

Bought a brand new 3000 GT in the year 1994, had only 56000 miles on it in the year 2001, was hit and totaled. Bought this 1997 from private party in 2002, only had 29000 miles on it. Great fun to drive, design never gets old.

lva3kgt
By LVA3KGT

1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL 2dr Coupe

I've had my 97 SL for several years now. It had 30K miles when I bought it in late 2001. Today it has over 192,000 and still runs 15.0 @ 91MPH in the 1/4mile. Not great, but not bad for a car that gets 25.5 MPG and is a V6. As long as you do the scheduled service, it will last a long time.