Used 1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3000GT model:

I love & hate my VR4
By 4wheeldrifter

1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 Turbo 2dr Coupe AWD

What I love: The control and performance in all types of weather, especially bad weather. It is difficult to break the tires loose in pouring rain and near impossible in dry conditions. With good tires, even snow and ice do not take away confidence. Sensible upgrades and strict maintenance have kept my VR4 reliable and safe. It's always been fun for me to outrun, outcorner or outbrake other cars with over confident owners. For over thirteen years I haven't been able to find a more capable car that sells for less than $100K. What I hate: Self-serving Mitsubishi warranty reps and irresponsible company policies. The fact that nobody makes a comparable car that sells for under $100K.

Acceleration. Cornering. Braking. Feeling safe and in control while doing so (after making my own modifications). A good looking body style even after all these years. It's still fun to drive. Leaving "new generation" Corvettes, M3/5's E55's and others behind when they paid to be in front.

Synthetic oil. I've had to spend quite a bit of time and money to fix obvious design flaws in the engine, oil delivery, brakes, seat belt and driveline components. Now, the car is the way it should be. Why does Mitsubishi make cars with the same, known safety and performance flaws year after year?

3000gt vr4
By normaldriver

1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 Turbo 2dr Coupe AWD

The best part about this car is that few cars under $100,000 can keep up to it in a straight line or in the corners. It has been reliable only after I fixed it myself.

Humiliating hot-rod tough guys and out cornering the lightweight "sports performance" cars.

Rebuild the engine top to bottom for durability, stress relieve the heads, oversize the turbos and sensibly turn up the boost. Put in a strong aftermarket clutch and carbon brake pads.

1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4
By dennisthemenace

1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 Turbo 2dr Coupe AWD

I have not had any bad experiences my 3000GT yet. It performs well, and IS an eye catcher. I have always wanted a VR4. I've heard some of the stories about some owners having some major problems with their cars, but 90 percent of these owners are people who chose to modify their cars, and anywhere from 20 to 80 percent of the engine components are no longer stock engine parts. There's nothing wrong with doing mods, but remember, if you are going to comment on a vehicle's reliability, it should be one that is stock.

If Mitsubishi's going to continue in the car market, then they had better get their act together real quickly. Because, even though the new Eclipse is cute looking, it's still a "girls" looking type car. Mitsubishi needs the 3000GT to return!

You will never go back to any other car.
By KT

1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 Turbo 2dr Coupe AWD

After owning my Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 (a 1991, a 1994, and now a 1993), it seems like all other sports cars under $100,000 aren't up to the task of dealing with a +10 year old overweight luxury sports car. If you are lucky enough to come across a smartly modified 3/S Twin Turbo prepare to get humbled. The exterior is sharp and aggresive, the interior is open with exotic curves, and the gearing in the 1st generations are very long to accommodate the small fast spooling stock twin turbos that create the wide powerband. these cars reliability is only as good as the previous owner, a true sports car deserves true maintenance.

The V6 twin turbo engine, extra large sunroof, and of course the look on the Supra owners faces after he catches up at the next stop light.

Add larger stock turbos (13g/15g/14b/16g would do).

feels like brand new
By happy with mine

1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 Turbo 2dr Coupe AWD

I bought mine slightly used (12000)mi..
I took it through the paces as I would
any sports car. I reached 160 mph with
4 inches of pedal left. the
aerodynamics made it feel as if I was
doing 80.

I was t-bone by an aerostar van at 20 mph, I received only scratches on the body effects. the van lost it`s bumper. safety is excellant!

Perhaps the switch for the exaust could be eliminated, and run regular pipe. The turbos dont put out true readings with the gauges inside.