Used 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3000GT model:

Real Grand Touring Performance Car
By Andrew

1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT Hatchback VR-4 Turbo 2dr Coupe AWD

18 months ownership of my 91 TT and I still love to drive it. I grunt like a wrestler getting into it but once in my 6 ft 3" is fine and I don't get reviews that say over 6 ft is a problem - adjust the seat! I live in the ideal place for a GTO - New Zealand with a whole south island full of empty fast roads. The week spent her is THE most enjoyable fast driving I have ever done, and that includes 4 x 911, 5 x Corvettes, De Tomasso, Lotus x 2, Cobra Replica, BMW 635, Audi Quattro. And for a car I paid $6000 dollars for! Keep it serviced regularly, at a main dealer or specialist and it is the flash looking exotic car with massive performance you always wanted with ownership costs.

Favorite Features

Performance, looks, road ability in all conditions.

Suggested Improvements

free flow air filters make a big difference, and with a few low cost tweaks it becomes a true supercar.

91 3000GT VR$
By LiLMo2100

1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT Hatchback VR-4 Turbo 2dr Coupe AWD

This car is amazing by far! Back in 1991 it had set the standard for the automotive scene for good. This car was way ahead of its time. Topping out all of the competitors out there. I've only just begun on the long road with this car and it has had it's up and downs. The downs, being my fault and the person I purchased it from. But overall. This car is amazing to drive. The Turbos are great when they are fully spooled and push you back into the seats. The exterior is a flawless design, and the interior is to die for. I agree the back seats are to small for anyone. But the two front ones are perfect for either just me, or me and my lady. I highly suggest anyone to get this car.

Favorite Features

Twin Turbo, AWD, AWD, Active Exhaust, Active Aero, stunning looks, and great capability. I love hearing those turbos spool and blow off. The deep rumble to tell you she's a sports car. And the loud roar she makes as you scream by the ones you're racing.

Suggested Improvements

I don't feel this car needs much improvements. Even the back seat don't need improvements. I don't sit anyone back there so they're usually just flowed down or just empty bucket seats. I do think that the improvement of gas consumption could be improved. But that's it.

Miss my VR4
By Miss my VR4

1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT Hatchback VR-4 Turbo 2dr Coupe AWD

I owned this car for about 12 years. I recently traded this in with a heavy heart. No other car compares to this baby. I got a 7 series - but guess what - I miss my VR4. Imagine that. The 7 is sweet - but the VR4 is a BLAST! Handles like a dream - oh and I have had it on some very curvy roads in Missouri. Sticks to the road. And acceleration - you say jump and it flies. I have had my share of tickets - and sometimes the cops could not believe their eyes. Those were the days - that was THE CAR!

Favorite Features

The handling, the acceleration, the looks. HEART THROB!!

Suggested Improvements

The 91 came with an interference engine. That means, if your timing belt fails, your engine is shot. Make sure to replace the belt every 70k or so miles. Also, my gear box failed. Cost me 5k to replace it. Then I turned around and sold my car for $2.5k after a year. That was stupid on my part.

Very unique
By 91GTOtt

1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT Hatchback VR-4 Turbo 2dr Coupe AWD

Overall, probably the best car every created. Not a cheap car to maintain, but work the cost for what you get. Stock over 300 hp with 307 ft-pounds of torque. The only cars that can to that today are the exotics and the corvette

Favorite Features

Good Power Wonderful styling A symphony of sounds when you start modding it. Responds well to modification

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of AWS, can lead to unpredictable turning Too heavy, Needs nicer stock rims

Bang for your buck
By drew.z440

1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT Hatchback VR-4 Turbo 2dr Coupe AWD

I bought this car with 78,000 miles and now at 94,000 miles it still runs like a champ. This car will take newer v-8 mustangs, subaru wrx's, cobalt ss easily. Great styling inside and out, have had it mistaken for a brand new car often times. If you can find one with low miles, definitely snag it.

Favorite Features

Twin turbo feels awesome when it punches you back into your seat. The all wheel drive is awesome on the launch. Still turns heads like crazy. Has so many features (all wheel steering, adjustable exhaust and suspension, active aero) this car was way ahead of its time.

Suggested Improvements

Would be nice if they had put it on a diet but its still great.