Used 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3000GT model:

Real Grand Touring Performance Car
By Andrew

1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 Turbo 2dr Coupe AWD

18 months ownership of my 91 TT and I still love to drive it. I grunt like a wrestler getting into it but once in my 6 ft 3" is fine and I don't get reviews that say over 6 ft is a problem - adjust the seat! I live in the ideal place for a GTO - New Zealand with a whole south island full of empty fast roads. The week spent her is THE most enjoyable fast driving I have ever done, and that includes 4 x 911, 5 x Corvettes, De Tomasso, Lotus x 2, Cobra Replica, BMW 635, Audi Quattro. And for a car I paid $6000 dollars for! Keep it serviced regularly, at a main dealer or specialist and it is the flash looking exotic car with massive performance you always wanted with ownership costs.

Performance, looks, road ability in all conditions.

free flow air filters make a big difference, and with a few low cost tweaks it becomes a true supercar.

Almost 20 years
By yodgiesings

1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL 2dr Coupe

I was excited when I bought this beauty and am still excited almost 20 years later. She is still gorgeous, rides great, looks fabulous and I just can not part with her. My siblings make fun of me for keeping a car so long, but I truly can not help it. The engine hums like a baby and you don't even know it's on when you come to a stoplight. Power? She can beat them all, but I am one of those "slow" drivers anyway, so it doesn't matter. She sticks to the road around turns and sometimes when I am in my pickup, I forget that the pickup can't take the turns like the 3000GT can. Whoops! It was a midlife crisis thing when I bought her, and now, at 64, I am still in the midst of the crisis.

Style, power, fun to drive

91 3000GT VR$
By LiLMo2100

1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 Turbo 2dr Coupe AWD

This car is amazing by far! Back in 1991 it had set the standard for the automotive scene for good. This car was way ahead of its time. Topping out all of the competitors out there. I've only just begun on the long road with this car and it has had it's up and downs. The downs, being my fault and the person I purchased it from. But overall. This car is amazing to drive. The Turbos are great when they are fully spooled and push you back into the seats. The exterior is a flawless design, and the interior is to die for. I agree the back seats are to small for anyone. But the two front ones are perfect for either just me, or me and my lady. I highly suggest anyone to get this car.

Twin Turbo, AWD, AWD, Active Exhaust, Active Aero, stunning looks, and great capability. I love hearing those turbos spool and blow off. The deep rumble to tell you she's a sports car. And the loud roar she makes as you scream by the ones you're racing.

I don't feel this car needs much improvements. Even the back seat don't need improvements. I don't sit anyone back there so they're usually just flowed down or just empty bucket seats. I do think that the improvement of gas consumption could be improved. But that's it.

My baby
By Cat

1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL 2dr Coupe

First year out model; I saw it on the billboard advertisement and just knew this was MY car. After 225K miles, I replaced the engine & transmission. The A/C was converted from the old freon-type. Everything is factory stock with the exception of new door speakers. I have to replace the leather seats someday soon but other than that, I am still lovin' my car as though I just bought it. I'd rather not put anyone or anything in the small tiny backseats so I lay the seats down for added baggage room. As expected, any new parts are hard to find & are at a premium price. I still average 22 MPG & 19 years later, I can hardly wipe the smile off my face when I'm in my car!

Stocky rear end, radio controls on the steering wheel, option for sport/tour suspension mode.

Who knew we'd need bigger and more accessible cup holders! ha!

Miss my VR4
By Miss my VR4

1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 Turbo 2dr Coupe AWD

I owned this car for about 12 years. I recently traded this in with a heavy heart. No other car compares to this baby. I got a 7 series - but guess what - I miss my VR4. Imagine that. The 7 is sweet - but the VR4 is a BLAST! Handles like a dream - oh and I have had it on some very curvy roads in Missouri. Sticks to the road. And acceleration - you say jump and it flies. I have had my share of tickets - and sometimes the cops could not believe their eyes. Those were the days - that was THE CAR!

The handling, the acceleration, the looks. HEART THROB!!

The 91 came with an interference engine. That means, if your timing belt fails, your engine is shot. Make sure to replace the belt every 70k or so miles. Also, my gear box failed. Cost me 5k to replace it. Then I turned around and sold my car for $2.5k after a year. That was stupid on my part.