2013 MINI Cooper Consumer Review: Your speedometer won't be even

2013 MINI Cooper - Consumer Review

2013 MINI Cooper

Base 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual)

Your speedometer won't be even close to accurate
By lindigo on

2013 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Before you buy, do a search on Mini Cooper + speedometer so you will know inaccurate speedometers are their policy. I asked them to recalibrate my speedometer which is running about 7% high. They refused, quoting an internal bulletin not to repair speedometers that are within 10% of accurate plus another 2.4 miles. I.e., if you and your Garmin know you are driving at 65 mph, your speedometer will not be recalibrated unless it is displays OVER 74 mph.
So much for their claim that they fix new cars.
I even bought the extra coverage so this "guarantee" would continue for extra years.
I would never buy another Mini Cooper. Still talking, but I may have to sue to get my new car fixed.

Bring speedometer accuracy into compliance with U.S. law. They seem to have a policy that allows twice to four times the error allowed by U.S. law. "Dan Edmunds, an automotive engineer and the director of vehicle testing at Edmunds.com, says that speedometers cannot have an error of more than 5 percent (typically expressed as plus/minus 2.5 percent relative to the actual speed) according to federal law." (From a May 11, 2012 Fox News article.) Hey, Dan, if you see this, can you give me a cite to the federal law? I haven't found it in the U.S. Code or the CFRs. Is it in case law? Thanks.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By chilimini
on 05/23/14 14:20 PM (PDT)

I don't think this is a typical problem. My '07 never was more than about 2-3 mph off at 70, whether with stock runflats, or with the nonrunflats like I use now.

By darex
on 08/01/14 10:43 AM (PDT)

What do your findings have to do with the 2014 MINI Cooper? I am finding the speedometer to be nearly exactly accurate on mine, or no more than 1-2 mph off.