2013 MINI Cooper Consumer Review: Horrible interior design & eng

2013 MINI Cooper - Consumer Review

Horrible interior design & engineering/road noise
By norcalcommuter on

2013 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

People are going to get this mini because its "cute" and has "style". Maybe you buy into Mini's whole "lifestyle" and marketing gimmicks. I think you either love this car or hate it. My wife loves it, I hate it. Its her daily driver, so there you go. Its a small car. I knew that. Realize you are basically buying a 2 seat micro-car. I'm 5-8 and skinny and think this car feels cramped, and i grew up driving all models of small air cooled VW's. You might as well fold the back seats down and use it as trunk space. My 8 & 10 year olds have no leg room and barely get space to plant their feet when 5'-4" mom is driving. Don't tell me adults can fit back there! I *Hate* the Mini-Connected system with it's joystick and horrible look/software. Confusing, not user friendly. In the world of touch screen everywhere, this lack of, is archaic. The seatbelts get caught between the seats and door post. You have to open the door to get your buckle. The seats are hard to adjust to get right and comfortable. Too many confusing dash switches. Hard to get to the back seat. Ugh, glad I leased not bought!!! If you like the old school, kind of meets the future, this is your car. Mini holds onto stuff like retro toggle switches, the big bezel dial like speedometer, but then puts a tiny digital box on top of the steering column with a digital speedo, outside weather temp, etc, but it takes like 5 different presses of a button to get to different parts of the display and the screen is too small to be useful. Spring for the black wheels. The stock silver are always dirty and a pain to get and keep clean. I gave up.

***Update*** 2016: After 3 years, glad I am turning the car back in at the end of the lease. If you really want a mini, test drive an "S" and the standard engine. I think the standard is underpowered. The freeway noise (lack of noise insulation throughout the car) and the god awful mini connected interface are the worst things about this car. Don't fall for the sales pitch to buy the extended tire care warranty. The run-flat tires are expensive to replace, but not as fragile as the dealer makes them out to be. They made claims that curbs and potholes would cause them to blow out easy. Never had an issue with them, not even a nail in the tire...

• Climate control
  • Entertainment
  • Usb ports
  • Navigation
  • Purchase cost
  • Resale value

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By anthony94114
on 02/22/14 07:14 AM (UTC)

Good review. One thought- if you'd BOUGHT, you could much more easily sell it off early and not suffer till the lease runs out. We had a MINI Crapper and ultimately sold it after 13 months and 10 returns to the dealer. If we'd leased for 3 years I can't imagine ow we'd have tolerated it.