Used 2013 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 MINI Cooper Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Good fun driving
By Jacob

2013 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The car is fine. Any and all imperfections in the roadway are very apparent.

Again?
By Crickett Hoffman

2013 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I'm the original owner. I have kept this car up and broke it in properly. Let's see: 3,000 miles new engine. Caught it before it blew and stranded me. Next was the wonky stereo that wouldn't play nice withe the iPod. Now, less than a week after its second service I am sitting on the side of the freeway, waiting the hour and a half for Mini Roadside Assistance to come get me. My clutch went out at a little over 18,000 miles. I know enough about cars to know that when you let the clutch out and give it some gas it should go forward. All I get is a revving engine. So much for BMW quality.

Buy something else
By ledward88

2013 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Bought a mini brand new. We drive the speed limit and keep up the maintenance. The tires had to be replaced at 24000 miles, not covered by warranty. Right after warranty expired we had to replace brakes and rotors and battery. The transmission stalls in first gear after stopping at a light, but only on hot days. The water pump is bad and leaks coolant; $900 fix at the dealer. The water pump goes bad a lot on this mini; you conveniently do not have a Temp gauge! It also leaks oil from the valve solenoid; $2500 fix at the dealer. Overall worst vehicle I have ever owned, period.

Your speedometer won't be even close to accurate
By lindigo

2013 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Before you buy, do a search on Mini Cooper + speedometer so you will know inaccurate speedometers are their policy. I asked them to recalibrate my speedometer which is running about 7% high. They refused, quoting an internal bulletin not to repair speedometers that are within 10% of accurate plus another 2.4 miles. I.e., if you and your Garmin know you are driving at 65 mph, your speedometer will not be recalibrated unless it is displays OVER 74 mph.
So much for their claim that they fix new cars.
I even bought the extra coverage so this "guarantee" would continue for extra years.
I would never buy another Mini Cooper. Still talking, but I may have to sue to get my new car fixed.

Bring speedometer accuracy into compliance with U.S. law. They seem to have a policy that allows twice to four times the error allowed by U.S. law. "Dan Edmunds, an automotive engineer and the director of vehicle testing at Edmunds.com, says that speedometers cannot have an error of more than 5 percent (typically expressed as plus/minus 2.5 percent relative to the actual speed) according to federal law." (From a May 11, 2012 Fox News article.) Hey, Dan, if you see this, can you give me a cite to the federal law? I haven't found it in the U.S. Code or the CFRs. Is it in case law? Thanks.

Fun Car but Mini Service is Bad!
By hippiechick

2013 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Beware - Mini service is the pits!
I loved my Mini until something happened to it.
I was hit and my car had some minor damage.
I took it to an authorized dealer.
First time - my door wouldn't open when I got home and my tail lights were messed up.
I have now taken it twice to repair the same issue - second time they left parts in the back.

Mini corporate tells me my only recourse is to take it back to the same dealership.
Isn't that super!!!
Will never buy another one even though I like the car.
You have to have a car that you can get fixed when you need work done.

Also, run tires do not work - pull over immediately!!!