Used 2013 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Buy something else
By ledward88

2013 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Bought a mini brand new. We drive the speed limit and keep up the maintenance. The tires had to be replaced at 24000 miles, not covered by warranty. Right after warranty expired we had to replace brakes and rotors and battery. The transmission stalls in first gear after stopping at a light, but only on hot days. The water pump is bad and leaks coolant; $900 fix at the dealer. The water pump goes bad a lot on this mini; you conveniently do not have a Temp gauge! It also leaks oil from the valve solenoid; $2500 fix at the dealer. Overall worst vehicle I have ever owned, period.

40mpg but you have to use premium. If you do not use premium or get inferior premium our Mini stalls and a red engine light comes on that freaks us out. Design is very nice and it is fun to drive when we aren't thinking about the problems.

Mini should take a lesson in reliability/durability from Honda or Toyota. I do not exaggerate and cannot say enough to the extent of work that has to be done on such an unreliable auto. The Mini slogan of "Lets Motor" should be changed to "Lets Repair Motor." If Mini is going to build a product that fails then gauges to regulate operating parts on the auto should be installed and visible; temperature gauge, oil pressure, oil temp, etc.

Every day is fun on this car!
By jswcat

2013 MINI Cooper John Cooper Works 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Having owned over thirty cars this is the only one that I look forward to driving every time I get in. The absence of electrical overkill (nav,sensors,power seats, etc.) is refreshing especially with a REAL steering wheel with NO buttons! A real driver's car with plenty of torque and not unusable excess for the sake of numbers.

The nimble handling and Recaro seats are my favs on this car.

Your speedometer won't be even close to accurate
By lindigo

2013 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Before you buy, do a search on Mini Cooper + speedometer so you will know inaccurate speedometers are their policy. I asked them to recalibrate my speedometer which is running about 7% high. They refused, quoting an internal bulletin not to repair speedometers that are within 10% of accurate plus another 2.4 miles. I.e., if you and your Garmin know you are driving at 65 mph, your speedometer will not be recalibrated unless it is displays OVER 74 mph. So much for their claim that they fix new cars. I even bought the extra coverage so this "guarantee" would continue for extra years. I would never buy another Mini Cooper. Still talking, but I may have to sue to get my new car fixed.

Bring speedometer accuracy into compliance with U.S. law. They seem to have a policy that allows twice to four times the error allowed by U.S. law. "Dan Edmunds, an automotive engineer and the director of vehicle testing at Edmunds.com, says that speedometers cannot have an error of more than 5 percent (typically expressed as plus/minus 2.5 percent relative to the actual speed) according to federal law." (From a May 11, 2012 Fox News article.) Hey, Dan, if you see this, can you give me a cite to the federal law? I haven't found it in the U.S. Code or the CFRs. Is it in case law? Thanks.

Fun Car but Mini Service is Bad!
By hippiechick

2013 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Beware - Mini service is the pits! I loved my Mini until something happened to it. I was hit and my car had some minor damage. I took it to an authorized dealer. First time - my door wouldn't open when I got home and my tail lights were messed up. I have now taken it twice to repair the same issue - second time they left parts in the back. Mini corporate tells me my only recourse is to take it back to the same dealership. Isn't that super!!! Will never buy another one even though I like the car. You have to have a car that you can get fixed when you need work done. Also, run tires do not work - pull over immediately!!!

Fun drive, horrible interior design & engineering/road noise
By norcalcommuter

2013 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Small car. I knew that. Realize you are basically buying a 2 seat micro-car. You might as well fold the back seats down and use it as trunk space. My 8 & 10 year olds have no leg room and barely get space to plant their feet when 5'-4" mom is driving. Don't tell me adults can fit back there! I *Hate* the Mini-Connected system with it's joystick and horrible look/software. Confusing, not user friendly. In the world of touch screen everywhere, this lack of, is archaic. The seatbelts get caught between the seats and door post. You have to open the door to get your buckle. Too many confusing dash switches. Hard to get to the back seat. Ugh, glad I leased not bought!!!

The drive and handling is what is going to get you, along with the exterior styling and ability to build and "customize" your car. Even the non "S" base model has sufficient pep in the 6 speed manual trans. You will love the tight feel of the drive, but once you start using this car in the real world under your daily routines, you will hate it. Well, except for parking, because it's so small. I know Mini wants to be hip and different, but fix the stupid hip stuff (see below) into normal car specs. You can keep the exterior styling and handling everyone wants, but clean up the cramped & confusing interior stuff and lame electronics!

Road noise is horrible on the freeway. You can hear the rumble of the road under your seat enveloping the cabin. Needs better noise insulation throughout the car. Makes long freeway trips unbearable. Ditch mini connected and the non-intuitive too many step software for a simple touchscreen system. Since that huge speedometer is useless (take eyes off road to look to right below dash= crash), relocate essential info to behind the steering wheel area and make it a bigger one glance multi-info screen like other cars!. Hand controls for the small on steering wheel display are too confusing, too many steps to toggle through to find info like temp, fuel econo, and to set vehicle operations!