2013 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
Every day is fun on this car!
By jswcat on 07/09/14 11:03 AM (PDT)

2013 MINI Cooper John Cooper Works 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Having owned over thirty cars this is the only one that I look forward to driving every time I get in. The absence of electrical overkill (nav,sensors,power seats, etc.) is refreshing especially with a REAL steering wheel with NO buttons! A real driver's car with plenty of torque and not unusable excess for the sake of numbers.

Your speedometer won't be even close to accurate
By lindigo on 04/01/14 19:45 PM (PDT)

2013 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Before you buy, do a search on Mini Cooper + speedometer so you will know inaccurate speedometers are their policy. I asked them to recalibrate my speedometer which is running about 7% high. They refused, quoting an internal bulletin not to repair speedometers that are within 10% of accurate plus another 2.4 miles. I.e., if you and your Garmin know you are driving at 65 mph, your speedometer will not be recalibrated unless it is displays OVER 74 mph. So much for their claim that they fix new cars. I even bought the extra coverage so this "guarantee" would continue for extra years. I would never buy another Mini Cooper. Still talking, but I may have to sue to get my new car fixed.

Fun Car but Mini Service is Bad!
By hippiechick on 11/25/13 09:04 AM (PST)

2013 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Beware - Mini service is the pits! I loved my Mini until something happened to it. I was hit and my car had some minor damage. I took it to an authorized dealer. First time - my door wouldn't open when I got home and my tail lights were messed up. I have now taken it twice to repair the same issue - second time they left parts in the back. Mini corporate tells me my only recourse is to take it back to the same dealership. Isn't that super!!! Will never buy another one even though I like the car. You have to have a car that you can get fixed when you need work done. Also, run tires do not work - pull over immediately!!!

Fun drive, horrible interior design & engineering/road noise
By norcalcommuter on 11/13/13 12:47 PM (PST)

2013 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Small car. I knew that. Realize you are basically buying a 2 seat micro-car. You might as well fold the back seats down and use it as trunk space. My 8 & 10 year olds have no leg room and barely get space to plant their feet when 5'-4" mom is driving. Don't tell me adults can fit back there! I *Hate* the Mini-Connected system with it's joystick and horrible look/software. Confusing, not user friendly. In the world of touch screen everywhere, this lack of, is archaic. The seatbelts get caught between the seats and door post. You have to open the door to get your buckle. Too many confusing dash switches. Hard to get to the back seat. Ugh, glad I leased not bought!!!

Not Good in the Rain
By specialk8 on 11/05/13 10:21 AM (PST)

2013 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Caution! Don't drive your MINI in the rain! I purchased a Mini Cooper S Countryman in July, 2013 from New Country MINI and have been very pleased until this past week. I was unable to open the door electronically and upon entering via the manual system found that a number of electronics were not working, no ww wipers, no power locks, no speedometer and every conceivable warning light flashing.. Upon bringing it to New Country they diagnosed the problem as "water inside an electronic module" and repairs will cost $900. No problem I thought MINI tells us what a great warranty and maintenance plan they have. But guess what it doesn't cover water!!! They say I opened up the passenger side

Fun car to drive
By par404 on 09/06/13 12:26 PM (PDT)

2013 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I had larger cars in the past and decided to venture out for a smaller fun car. The MINI is all this and more. Hugs the road with great handling, great fuel economy, tightly built and dependable. The car takes premium fuel. The dealer had indicated you can get away with regular or mid-grade. Do not try it. You will lose the driving performance you hear in some other reviews. Otherwise, do not regret buying it and still having fun after one year.

Bad. Very. Very bad.
By ihitcows on 06/28/13 19:20 PM (PDT)

2013 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I'm a writer. It's what I do. I've gone looking for the words to say about this car, and I can't find them. I'm instead overtaken by gusts of anger, confusion, and a general bitterness that this prop, this four-wheeled thing parading as a car, has consumed me this wholly. Look elsewhere. Do not get this car. Do not. Get. This car. Just last week I racked up my twelfth (12th) service appointment in 15 months. MINI has dealt with almost every problem I've submitted, aside from the car running out of oil at 5k and a wheel bearing coming off, by repeatedly denying their existence. When they find a given problem, seven service receipts deep, they say it's "spec."

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By theredrover on 04/23/13 02:17 AM (PDT)

2013 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I've never fallen head over heels for a car before, but my MINI has certainly charmed me and then some. I've owned my Cooper Hardtop (automatic transmission) for almost a full year and I can say I will never own any other car than a MINI. Not only has it been extremely reliable, but the handling on this car is amazing. When people say their car "hugs the road," they really have no idea what that means until they drive a Cooper. Taking a hard turn at 40 mph feels no different than at 10 mph in another car. I feel safer in my MINI than I do in any other car I've driven. I actually get a higher mpg than listed here. So far I average about 42mpg highway and 38 mpg on surface streets.

Don't buy this car
By jbash1 on 02/23/13 07:24 AM (PST)

2013 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

There is something very wrong with the throttle and/or transmission in the 2013 model that mini is not interesting in fixing. Mine started missing and experiencing erratic acceleration after just about a month. I hate driving this car. I never know if it will go when I press the gas pedal and have almost been rear-ended and hit from the side when the car delays before accelerating or stops accelerating abruptly. Had one before that I loved, but I really hate this car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 MINI Cooper in VA is:

$150 per month*