Used 2012 MINI Cooper S Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

2012 R58
By bcz

2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

A more accurate description is a 12' S Coupe w/ automatic and LOADED. Bought this car in December 2011 and have driven 42k miles so far. I am a commuter from a rural area into a college town and was looking for an economy car, but not one that was underpowered or cheap. This is likely to be the brand I stick with for awhile, they are SO fun to drive and cannot be beat in city traffic (only two wheels have it better). It feels safe because you know that the car has very respectable handling and power to get you around, and deal with occasional poor drivers on the open roads. Rather expensive based on size alone, it has taken the miles and years of ownership to gain a greater appreciation.

Favorite Features

The handling is excellent, the exceleration is still surprising to this day, this (S type) is not the car to get overly excited in unless you are used to driving pseudo sports cars. I don't mean that as a belittlement, this car is a genuine sleeper as far as the general public knows. Own one and you will quickly find challenges from virtually all types of vehicles because most are certain you are driving an underpowered economy car...and they couldn't be more right AND wrong simultaneously. Regardless of weather/driving conditions and a heavy foot, I consistently average 36-38 mpg in my Coupe S (R58).

Suggested Improvements

The cars almost always (no spare), come with very HQ run-flat tires, although the handling is well above average the ride can suffer considerably depending on road conditions and outside temps. I just recently replaced my run-flats with a high-end all season performance tire. I gave up a bit in high speed handling but made up for it in cabin comfort for I was no longer 'feeling' every nuance of the road. *These tires still had some tread life, guessing I'd say 45k would be the life expectancy of them. My roads were just to poor to find the harshness comfortable any longer.

Rocket on wheels
By joejh

2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I'm always shocked at how exciting this ride is everytime my foot touches the accelerator. It's the grown-up's go-kart, on steroids. Mario can eat my dust! How did they put such a large herd of horses under that tiny hood? This car literally growls and thunders when I hit the starter. And what's even more shocking is the fuel economy. Still get low 30's even with my happy feet dancing on that gas pedal. And the bucket seats are perfection - I heard BMW has a PhD designing their seats. It has to be perfect in order to keep you in it!

Favorite Features

The acceleration. The handling. The fun. Yeah, there are a bunch of nice features and options I can blah blah blah about. But I tend to forget about all those every time I touch the gas pedal.

Suggested Improvements

Make it less expensive so more people can enjoy this baby! And so I can afford to have two in the garage.