Used 2012 MINI Cooper Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

2012 Base Mini, Manual Trans, Lemon
By Kevin

2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I traded in my trouble plagued 2002 Mini, for what I thought was a major upgrade. I purchased my 2012 Base Model Mini with manual transmission last Aug. with 31,000 miles. While driving down to my favorite eatery, shifting from 1st to 2nd shifter know came off in my hand. I managed to replace it and continued on. A couple of days later a aprox. 32,000 miles I began to notice a clatter from the engine at first start up in the morning, during the next few weeks it became progressively worse. I took it to the local Mini dealer and was informed the clatter was the clutch failing. Being a mechanic for 40 plus years I called BS, told them to keep the car for a cold start test the next day. Low and behold it was determined the timing chain was at fault, these engines apparently have chain tensioners prone to failure. The timing chain was replaced along with tensioners and gears. The dealer Seattle Mini stuck by their story that my clutch was failing and would be 2400.00 to replace, but offered me an extended warranty that would cover the clutch for 1895.00. What a way to cover the cost of the warranty work. About 2 weeks after having the work down, the engine began to misfire badly, had it towed to the dealer, they replaced the coil packs for the ignition, and spark plugs and wires. So here we are today, 41,102 miles, the engine is beginning to clatter again from the exact same location. Under warranty to 50,000 miles. Soon as it gets worse to justify the warranty work and before 50,000 miles back in again for another timing chain, followed by a quick trade in for another car, not MINI. Oh and did I mention that Seattle Mini tried the whole your clutch is failing routine on me a 2nd time with offer of the extended warranty when I took it in for the Misfire problem I mentioned earlier. By the way the clutch still works perfect, however the manual transmission has always been clunky when shifting, the transition from 1st to 2nd requires a firm pull, it also has no reverse lock out, on 2 separate occasions I have been at a light and forgot to downshift into first, while quickly doing so as to not block traffic, it went into reverse. Luckily caught it before I hit someone behind me. Been driving manual for years.

It's an okay car
By Daniel

2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased the car brand new and owned it for almost two years. I never had any problems with it. It definitely had some cons which lead to me selling it. When it rains it is impossible to enter the car without a gallon entering with you, poor design. The AC is below average and makes a lot of noise. The Bluetooth was terrible, the other party could hear everything. It also had its pros. I was getting 38 mpg mixed driving , it was a manual. It was fun to drive and very easy to park. I never had one issue with it on the 2 years of ownership. It was a fun car, but I couldn't stand the cons.

Love my Mini
By lgreen17

2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my car about a year ago, the Bayswater package. It is everything I ever wanted in a car! It's fun to drive, easy to park (I work on a college campus and
I can always squeeze it in somewhere), has style and good gas mileage too. I've only had a couple of issues, 1) the service engine light came on
after a few months and the dealer said I must have put regular gas in it, not the premium, and 2) the door is hard to open sometimes. I'm taking it in for a year service next week so I hope to get that fixed. Press the button door locking is my favorite feature. I also drive on gravel everyday and it handles great.

Press the button door locking is my favorite feature.leather seats and seat warmers, temperature control, handling, style, arm rest (must have), roomy interior

you cant roll the window down if you have something in the drink holder, the USB is in an hard to reach place, the door is sometimes hard to open

MINI - Making driving fun again
By parscar

2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I have had numerous cars over the years. Company and personal. The MINI Cooper is by far the most fun to drive. Handling is great. Acceleration is fine and exceptional with the turbo.

Handling, interior comfort, appearance, gas mileage, reliability and the MINI maintenance free warranty period.

The radio and temperature controls could be slightly bigger or of different design.

Spicy Cooper
By da_wave

2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I’ve had my MINI Cooper Hatchback for about 7500 miles and 8 months now.
I got just what I wanted when I ordered it.
This is just about the perfect City car – it’s small and easy to park, the gas mileage is excellent, it’s super fun to drive (6sp manual!) and handles like a go-kart on steroids.
Moves out smartly for something with just 121hp; I think that the 6M is the way to go for the base Cooper without the turbo.
For 1 or 2 people just running around town to work, the grocery store, the movies or the mall – it’s hard to beat.
It’s just very efficient in every way compared to a minivan or a pickup, unless needed. You can actually fit lots in the back with the seats folded down!

Feels like a small sports car and not an economy car. As a driver, you are really in touch with the road in this car. Handling is superb and the gas mileage has been outstanding – over 30MPG no matter how you drive it. 6sp manual is very good and easy to use – the car wouldn’t be the same without it. Handles like a go-kart. Exceptionally practical for what it is. And FUN!!

These are more like areas of opportunity: Rides like a go-kart. I have the standard suspension and 15” wheels and tires. I can only imagine how much stiffer the ride would be with the sport suspension, or 16” wheels and tires (195/55/16’s) or BOTH. My wife doesn’t really like the car for this reason. If you spend a lot of time on rough or poorly maintained roads, you might want to think twice about this as your daily driver…Premium fuel is recommended for this car, and the dealer will tell you to use it exclusively too. The S Models are prone to expensive repairs from what I've read - this is why I didn't buy one with a turbo. Consider that carefully if you are looking at an S car.