Used 2012 MINI Cooper Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Love my Mini
By lgreen17

2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my car about a year ago, the Bayswater package. It is everything I ever wanted in a car! It's fun to drive, easy to park (I work on a college campus and I can always squeeze it in somewhere), has style and good gas mileage too. I've only had a couple of issues, 1) the service engine light came on after a few months and the dealer said I must have put regular gas in it, not the premium, and 2) the door is hard to open sometimes. I'm taking it in for a year service next week so I hope to get that fixed. Press the button door locking is my favorite feature. I also drive on gravel everyday and it handles great.

Press the button door locking is my favorite feature.leather seats and seat warmers, temperature control, handling, style, arm rest (must have), roomy interior

you cant roll the window down if you have something in the drink holder, the USB is in an hard to reach place, the door is sometimes hard to open

MINI - Making driving fun again
By parscar

2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I have had numerous cars over the years. Company and personal. The MINI Cooper is by far the most fun to drive. Handling is great. Acceleration is fine and exceptional with the turbo.

Handling, interior comfort, appearance, gas mileage, reliability and the MINI maintenance free warranty period.

The radio and temperature controls could be slightly bigger or of different design.

Spicy Cooper
By da_wave

2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I’ve had my MINI Cooper Hatchback for about 7500 miles and 8 months now. I got just what I wanted when I ordered it. This is just about the perfect City car – it’s small and easy to park, the gas mileage is excellent, it’s super fun to drive (6sp manual!) and handles like a go-kart on steroids. Moves out smartly for something with just 121hp; I think that the 6M is the way to go for the base Cooper without the turbo. For 1 or 2 people just running around town to work, the grocery store, the movies or the mall – it’s hard to beat. It’s just very efficient in every way compared to a minivan or a pickup, unless needed. You can actually fit lots in the back with the seats folded down!

Feels like a small sports car and not an economy car. As a driver, you are really in touch with the road in this car. Handling is superb and the gas mileage has been outstanding – over 30MPG no matter how you drive it. 6sp manual is very good and easy to use – the car wouldn’t be the same without it. Handles like a go-kart. Exceptionally practical for what it is. And FUN!!

These are more like areas of opportunity: Rides like a go-kart. I have the standard suspension and 15” wheels and tires. I can only imagine how much stiffer the ride would be with the sport suspension, or 16” wheels and tires (195/55/16’s) or BOTH. My wife doesn’t really like the car for this reason. If you spend a lot of time on rough or poorly maintained roads, you might want to think twice about this as your daily driver…Premium fuel is recommended for this car, and the dealer will tell you to use it exclusively too. The S Models are prone to expensive repairs from what I've read - this is why I didn't buy one with a turbo. Consider that carefully if you are looking at an S car.

New Mini Owner 2012
By marymouse

2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I just purchased a 2012 mini hardtop bayswater package. love the vehicles looks in and out, quite roomy for a little car, the back seat is a joke. think of this as a 2 seater, we keep the seat folded and just use the back for transporting goods for the store or the dogs.

styling, roomy compared to others. great service at the dealership. love the leather seats, the big speedometor, love the handle on driverside and it really zips faster then I thought, put it in sport mode and its a racecar. This car has character, not like the ugly kia soul I almost got.

ok the worse is the ride, I live in sw florida our roads are pretty darn good, we drove to tampa this weekend and they had alot of construction on the roads and it felt like RR tracks for like 20 minutes...my poor back. they are the run flat tires. maybe that is why. I hate, hate the location of window and lock door knobs, if you have a drink in its holder you have to remove it, very inconvenient. I purchased a arm rest for the middle, would hate it without it. have them throw one in on the deal.

So much fun! and frugal for us
By bruccoo

2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Where to begin? My wife and I bought this car to replace her '04 AWD V6 Honda CRV. She was originally looking at the coupe but after seeing it in person changed her mind. She test drove this model and liked it. The hatch provides great functionality and since it is the two of us didn't need a large vehicle. After driving this car a week we both have grown even more on it. It is really fun to drive, think of go-kart handling as its main selling point. The mileage is definitely better as well in comparison. Going from regular to premium still provides a savings cost in our situation. Also, super easy to park! We opted for the auto trans in ours btw.

Handling, no body roll, sport cloth seats with heating, panoramic sun roof, mpg, warranty with maintenance.

Sound dampening is all, definitely upgrade the sound system to the Harmon Kardon setup. Makes a big difference when listening to the radio and taking phone calls in the car.