2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
2012 R58
By bcz on 02/21/14 09:11 AM (PST)

2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

A more accurate description is a 12' S Coupe w/ automatic and LOADED. Bought this car in December 2011 and have driven 42k miles so far. I am a commuter from a rural area into a college town and was looking for an economy car, but not one that was underpowered or cheap. This is likely to be the brand I stick with for awhile, they are SO fun to drive and cannot be beat in city traffic (only two wheels have it better). It feels safe because you know that the car has very respectable handling and power to get you around, and deal with occasional poor drivers on the open roads. Rather expensive based on size alone, it has taken the miles and years of ownership to gain a greater appreciation.

Love my Mini
By lgreen17 on 10/02/13 08:50 AM (PDT)

2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my car about a year ago, the Bayswater package. It is everything I ever wanted in a car! It's fun to drive, easy to park (I work on a college campus and I can always squeeze it in somewhere), has style and good gas mileage too. I've only had a couple of issues, 1) the service engine light came on after a few months and the dealer said I must have put regular gas in it, not the premium, and 2) the door is hard to open sometimes. I'm taking it in for a year service next week so I hope to get that fixed. Press the button door locking is my favorite feature. I also drive on gravel everyday and it handles great.

MINI - Making driving fun again
By parscar on 09/24/13 18:50 PM (PDT)

2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I have had numerous cars over the years. Company and personal. The MINI Cooper is by far the most fun to drive. Handling is great. Acceleration is fine and exceptional with the turbo.

Spicy Cooper
By da_wave on 03/14/13 19:12 PM (PDT)

2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I’ve had my MINI Cooper Hatchback for about 7500 miles and 8 months now. I got just what I wanted when I ordered it. This is just about the perfect City car – it’s small and easy to park, the gas mileage is excellent, it’s super fun to drive (6sp manual!) and handles like a go-kart on steroids. Moves out smartly for something with just 121hp; I think that the 6M is the way to go for the base Cooper without the turbo. For 1 or 2 people just running around town to work, the grocery store, the movies or the mall – it’s hard to beat. It’s just very efficient in every way compared to a minivan or a pickup, unless needed. You can actually fit lots in the back with the seats folded down!

New Mini Owner 2012
By marymouse on 06/17/12 14:30 PM (PDT)

2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I just purchased a 2012 mini hardtop bayswater package. love the vehicles looks in and out, quite roomy for a little car, the back seat is a joke. think of this as a 2 seater, we keep the seat folded and just use the back for transporting goods for the store or the dogs.

Rocket on wheels
By joejh on 02/15/12 05:08 AM (PST)

2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I'm always shocked at how exciting this ride is everytime my foot touches the accelerator. It's the grown-up's go-kart, on steroids. Mario can eat my dust! How did they put such a large herd of horses under that tiny hood? This car literally growls and thunders when I hit the starter. And what's even more shocking is the fuel economy. Still get low 30's even with my happy feet dancing on that gas pedal. And the bucket seats are perfection - I heard BMW has a PhD designing their seats. It has to be perfect in order to keep you in it!

So much fun! and frugal for us
By bruccoo on 01/02/12 12:26 PM (PST)

2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Where to begin? My wife and I bought this car to replace her '04 AWD V6 Honda CRV. She was originally looking at the coupe but after seeing it in person changed her mind. She test drove this model and liked it. The hatch provides great functionality and since it is the two of us didn't need a large vehicle. After driving this car a week we both have grown even more on it. It is really fun to drive, think of go-kart handling as its main selling point. The mileage is definitely better as well in comparison. Going from regular to premium still provides a savings cost in our situation. Also, super easy to park! We opted for the auto trans in ours btw.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback in VA is:

$146 per month*