Used 2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

2012 Base Mini, Manual Trans, Lemon
By Kevin

2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I traded in my trouble plagued 2002 Mini, for what I thought was a major upgrade. I purchased my 2012 Base Model Mini with manual transmission last Aug. with 31,000 miles. While driving down to my favorite eatery, shifting from 1st to 2nd shifter know came off in my hand. I managed to replace it and continued on. A couple of days later a aprox. 32,000 miles I began to notice a clatter from the engine at first start up in the morning, during the next few weeks it became progressively worse. I took it to the local Mini dealer and was informed the clatter was the clutch failing. Being a mechanic for 40 plus years I called BS, told them to keep the car for a cold start test the next day. Low and behold it was determined the timing chain was at fault, these engines apparently have chain tensioners prone to failure. The timing chain was replaced along with tensioners and gears. The dealer Seattle Mini stuck by their story that my clutch was failing and would be 2400.00 to replace, but offered me an extended warranty that would cover the clutch for 1895.00. What a way to cover the cost of the warranty work. About 2 weeks after having the work down, the engine began to misfire badly, had it towed to the dealer, they replaced the coil packs for the ignition, and spark plugs and wires. So here we are today, 41,102 miles, the engine is beginning to clatter again from the exact same location. Under warranty to 50,000 miles. Soon as it gets worse to justify the warranty work and before 50,000 miles back in again for another timing chain, followed by a quick trade in for another car, not MINI. Oh and did I mention that Seattle Mini tried the whole your clutch is failing routine on me a 2nd time with offer of the extended warranty when I took it in for the Misfire problem I mentioned earlier. By the way the clutch still works perfect, however the manual transmission has always been clunky when shifting, the transition from 1st to 2nd requires a firm pull, it also has no reverse lock out, on 2 separate occasions I have been at a light and forgot to downshift into first, while quickly doing so as to not block traffic, it went into reverse. Luckily caught it before I hit someone behind me. Been driving manual for years.

It's an okay car
By Daniel

2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased the car brand new and owned it for almost two years. I never had any problems with it. It definitely had some cons which lead to me selling it. When it rains it is impossible to enter the car without a gallon entering with you, poor design. The AC is below average and makes a lot of noise. The Bluetooth was terrible, the other party could hear everything. It also had its pros. I was getting 38 mpg mixed driving , it was a manual. It was fun to drive and very easy to park. I never had one issue with it on the 2 years of ownership. It was a fun car, but I couldn't stand the cons.

2012 R58
By bcz

2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

A more accurate description is a 12' S Coupe w/ automatic and LOADED. Bought this car in December 2011 and have driven 42k miles so far. I am a commuter from a rural area into a college town and was looking for an economy car, but not one that was underpowered or cheap. This is likely to be the brand I stick with for awhile, they are SO fun to drive and cannot be beat in city traffic (only two wheels have it better). It feels safe because you know that the car has very respectable handling and power to get you around, and deal with occasional poor drivers on the open roads. Rather expensive based on size alone, it has taken the miles and years of ownership to gain a greater appreciation.

The handling is excellent, the exceleration is still surprising to this day, this (S type) is not the car to get overly excited in unless you are used to driving pseudo sports cars. I don't mean that as a belittlement, this car is a genuine sleeper as far as the general public knows. Own one and you will quickly find challenges from virtually all types of vehicles because most are certain you are driving an underpowered economy car...and they couldn't be more right AND wrong simultaneously. Regardless of weather/driving conditions and a heavy foot, I consistently average 36-38 mpg in my Coupe S (R58).

The cars almost always (no spare), come with very HQ run-flat tires, although the handling is well above average the ride can suffer considerably depending on road conditions and outside temps. I just recently replaced my run-flats with a high-end all season performance tire. I gave up a bit in high speed handling but made up for it in cabin comfort for I was no longer 'feeling' every nuance of the road. *These tires still had some tread life, guessing I'd say 45k would be the life expectancy of them. My roads were just to poor to find the harshness comfortable any longer.

Love my Mini
By lgreen17

2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my car about a year ago, the Bayswater package. It is everything I ever wanted in a car! It's fun to drive, easy to park (I work on a college campus and
I can always squeeze it in somewhere), has style and good gas mileage too. I've only had a couple of issues, 1) the service engine light came on
after a few months and the dealer said I must have put regular gas in it, not the premium, and 2) the door is hard to open sometimes. I'm taking it in for a year service next week so I hope to get that fixed. Press the button door locking is my favorite feature. I also drive on gravel everyday and it handles great.

Press the button door locking is my favorite feature.leather seats and seat warmers, temperature control, handling, style, arm rest (must have), roomy interior

you cant roll the window down if you have something in the drink holder, the USB is in an hard to reach place, the door is sometimes hard to open

MINI - Making driving fun again
By parscar

2012 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I have had numerous cars over the years. Company and personal. The MINI Cooper is by far the most fun to drive. Handling is great. Acceleration is fine and exceptional with the turbo.

Handling, interior comfort, appearance, gas mileage, reliability and the MINI maintenance free warranty period.

The radio and temperature controls could be slightly bigger or of different design.