2012 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
2012 R58
By bcz on 02/21/14 09:11 AM (PST)

2012 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

A more accurate description is a 12' S Coupe w/ automatic and LOADED. Bought this car in December 2011 and have driven 42k miles so far. I am a commuter from a rural area into a college town and was looking for an economy car, but not one that was underpowered or cheap. This is likely to be the brand I stick with for awhile, they are SO fun to drive and cannot be beat in city traffic (only two wheels have it better). It feels safe because you know that the car has very respectable handling and power to get you around, and deal with occasional poor drivers on the open roads. Rather expensive based on size alone, it has taken the miles and years of ownership to gain a greater appreciation.

Oil consumption & fuel mileage !
By raymondn1 on 02/13/14 12:37 PM (PST)

2012 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Great little car I purchased new for my wife however it has consumed 2 quarts of oil in on 3500 miles she has put on it.Fuel mileage is no where close to what is claimed.....Just traded it in on a Porsche Carrera that is getting the same fuel mileage as the Mini did with no oil consumption thus far :)

Love my Mini
By lgreen17 on 10/02/13 08:50 AM (PDT)

2012 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my car about a year ago, the Bayswater package. It is everything I ever wanted in a car! It's fun to drive, easy to park (I work on a college campus and I can always squeeze it in somewhere), has style and good gas mileage too. I've only had a couple of issues, 1) the service engine light came on after a few months and the dealer said I must have put regular gas in it, not the premium, and 2) the door is hard to open sometimes. I'm taking it in for a year service next week so I hope to get that fixed. Press the button door locking is my favorite feature. I also drive on gravel everyday and it handles great.

MINI - Making driving fun again
By parscar on 09/24/13 18:50 PM (PDT)

2012 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I have had numerous cars over the years. Company and personal. The MINI Cooper is by far the most fun to drive. Handling is great. Acceleration is fine and exceptional with the turbo.

Fun and Quality
By jcihak on 06/28/13 07:14 AM (PDT)

2012 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We purchased a fully loaded 2012 Cooper S Convertible thinking it would just be a fun cruiser. I have been awed by its excellent handling and performance. Its become my daily driver and despite having a lead foot, I'm getting 33 mpg mostly country driving. The quality is that of a luxury car - compared to the Honda CR-V and Toyota Prius I also have in the garage. The Honda and Toyota feel like tin cans in comparison. Once you get used to the quirky controls, the car is nothing but fun.

Spicy Cooper
By da_wave on 03/14/13 19:12 PM (PDT)

2012 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I’ve had my MINI Cooper Hatchback for about 7500 miles and 8 months now. I got just what I wanted when I ordered it. This is just about the perfect City car – it’s small and easy to park, the gas mileage is excellent, it’s super fun to drive (6sp manual!) and handles like a go-kart on steroids. Moves out smartly for something with just 121hp; I think that the 6M is the way to go for the base Cooper without the turbo. For 1 or 2 people just running around town to work, the grocery store, the movies or the mall – it’s hard to beat. It’s just very efficient in every way compared to a minivan or a pickup, unless needed. You can actually fit lots in the back with the seats folded down!

2012 Mini S convertible
By ron244 on 11/29/12 10:37 AM (PST)

2012 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I wanted a mustang GT wife wanted this car and of course, we have the Mini in the garage. Once I got used to how small the car is, now I can appreciate the whole set up. I think of it as a can-am spider, but more confortable. Mileage is great even if you dog it, can see anything, but its so small thats not a problem. And you know, when I'm stuck in traffic, I have the top down, life is good, its really fun to drive, get lots of looks, and maybe not off the line, but going down the highway, most cars are gonna have a hard time keeping up. I drive it like a drove my motorcycles.

Best MINI Ever!
By joe1952 on 09/07/12 13:24 PM (PDT)

2012 MINI Cooper 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I owned a hard top but traded it in for a Convertible! The car is a blast to drive and the gas mileage I get make it even better.

New Mini Owner 2012
By marymouse on 06/17/12 14:30 PM (PDT)

2012 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I just purchased a 2012 mini hardtop bayswater package. love the vehicles looks in and out, quite roomy for a little car, the back seat is a joke. think of this as a 2 seater, we keep the seat folded and just use the back for transporting goods for the store or the dogs.

Rocket on wheels
By joejh on 02/15/12 05:08 AM (PST)

2012 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I'm always shocked at how exciting this ride is everytime my foot touches the accelerator. It's the grown-up's go-kart, on steroids. Mario can eat my dust! How did they put such a large herd of horses under that tiny hood? This car literally growls and thunders when I hit the starter. And what's even more shocking is the fuel economy. Still get low 30's even with my happy feet dancing on that gas pedal. And the bucket seats are perfection - I heard BMW has a PhD designing their seats. It has to be perfect in order to keep you in it!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 MINI Cooper in VA is:

$146 per month*