Used 2012 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2012 MINI Cooper

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

2012 R58
By bcz

2012 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

A more accurate description is a 12' S Coupe w/ automatic and LOADED. Bought this car in December 2011 and have driven 42k miles so far. I am a commuter from a rural area into a college town and was looking for an economy car, but not one that was underpowered or cheap. This is likely to be the brand I stick with for awhile, they are SO fun to drive and cannot be beat in city traffic (only two wheels have it better). It feels safe because you know that the car has very respectable handling and power to get you around, and deal with occasional poor drivers on the open roads. Rather expensive based on size alone, it has taken the miles and years of ownership to gain a greater appreciation.

Favorite Features

The handling is excellent, the exceleration is still surprising to this day, this (S type) is not the car to get overly excited in unless you are used to driving pseudo sports cars. I don't mean that as a belittlement, this car is a genuine sleeper as far as the general public knows. Own one and you will quickly find challenges from virtually all types of vehicles because most are certain you are driving an underpowered economy car...and they couldn't be more right AND wrong simultaneously. Regardless of weather/driving conditions and a heavy foot, I consistently average 36-38 mpg in my Coupe S (R58).

Suggested Improvements

The cars almost always (no spare), come with very HQ run-flat tires, although the handling is well above average the ride can suffer considerably depending on road conditions and outside temps. I just recently replaced my run-flats with a high-end all season performance tire. I gave up a bit in high speed handling but made up for it in cabin comfort for I was no longer 'feeling' every nuance of the road. *These tires still had some tread life, guessing I'd say 45k would be the life expectancy of them. My roads were just to poor to find the harshness comfortable any longer.

Oil consumption & fuel mileage !
By raymondn1

2012 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Great little car I purchased new for my wife however it has consumed 2 quarts of oil in on 3500 miles she has put on it.Fuel mileage is no where close to what is claimed.....Just traded it in on a Porsche Carrera that is getting the same fuel mileage as the Mini did with no oil consumption thus far :)

Love my Mini
By lgreen17

2012 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my car about a year ago, the Bayswater package. It is everything I ever wanted in a car! It's fun to drive, easy to park (I work on a college campus and I can always squeeze it in somewhere), has style and good gas mileage too. I've only had a couple of issues, 1) the service engine light came on after a few months and the dealer said I must have put regular gas in it, not the premium, and 2) the door is hard to open sometimes. I'm taking it in for a year service next week so I hope to get that fixed. Press the button door locking is my favorite feature. I also drive on gravel everyday and it handles great.

Favorite Features

Press the button door locking is my favorite feature.leather seats and seat warmers, temperature control, handling, style, arm rest (must have), roomy interior

Suggested Improvements

you cant roll the window down if you have something in the drink holder, the USB is in an hard to reach place, the door is sometimes hard to open

MINI - Making driving fun again
By parscar

2012 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I have had numerous cars over the years. Company and personal. The MINI Cooper is by far the most fun to drive. Handling is great. Acceleration is fine and exceptional with the turbo.

Favorite Features

Handling, interior comfort, appearance, gas mileage, reliability and the MINI maintenance free warranty period.

Suggested Improvements

The radio and temperature controls could be slightly bigger or of different design.

Fun and Quality
By jcihak

2012 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We purchased a fully loaded 2012 Cooper S Convertible thinking it would just be a fun cruiser. I have been awed by its excellent handling and performance. Its become my daily driver and despite having a lead foot, I'm getting 33 mpg mostly country driving. The quality is that of a luxury car - compared to the Honda CR-V and Toyota Prius I also have in the garage. The Honda and Toyota feel like tin cans in comparison. Once you get used to the quirky controls, the car is nothing but fun.

Favorite Features

- Handling + good acceleration + economy car mpg - Convertible!!! - Rock solid chassis for a convertible - Great retro looks - MINI community rocks! Too many events and great helpful enthusiasts to mention. - Better nav than any car system I've used (and only $750) - Mini Connected runs Pandora, Tune-In Radio, MOG and many other apps right on the MINI's display. - Actually fits 2 adults and 2 kids.

Suggested Improvements

- Eliminate run flat tires - they're too harsh.