2011 MINI Cooper Consumer Review: I knew it was a mistake

2011 MINI Cooper - Consumer Review

I knew it was a mistake
By sanscrainte on

2011 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought a 2011 Mini Cooper for my son to earn to drive on because it was like a go-kart.
I knew what I was in for, it being a perfect storm of unreliability being a German car made in England.
All of my other vehicles are either a Toyota or a Scion.
You buy them and drive them.
They are like purchasing an appliance.
We had the Mini for 5 months when the timing chain broke at a red light, destroying the engine.
Now, although this is a known defect, BMW waned nothing t do with it.
This left me with a $6000 engine replacement and Gid knows what after that.
Know this; if you are not rich, buy Japanese every-time.
Never, ever, buy German or English.
Bad Motor Works.

The color and size of the car.

Recall all the 2011 for timing chain issues.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By w507w507
on 12/23/15 04:20 AM (PST)

Sorry to hear you had problems with the timing chain on your car. But I don't think it's very fair to nationalise its unreliability. The engine you bought is a Peugeot designed case (french) modified by German designers at BMW and manufactured in the UK. The UK builds over 2 million cars a year, many of them Japanese. I drive a 20 year old Land Rover defender manufactured in Africa, over obscene distances and terrain and it is built like a tank - not one problem that has left me in difficulty. Meanwhile I drove a 2007 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 deep into the Kalahari (there are lions there) and suffered a battery explosion and was stranded for days before anyone came by and I could recover the vehicle. The Jeep is a big hard vehicle, it has it's faults but I'm not going to blame the whole of the USA for a faulty alternator regulator which was probably made in Japan...or Italy or some other place. Oh, and how about those Toyota recalls?