Used 2011 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Wish I had read up more on the common problems....
By Indy Musician

2011 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my 2011 manual base Cooper with 35,000 miles on it....now, at 54,000 miles, it has had a failure of two coils. This turns out to be VERY common with Minis when you go to the various forums. The car will sputter on acceleration, take up to 10 seconds to turn over in the morning, etc. and the problem only worsens unless tended to. Cost at an independent mechanic to fix? $650.

Another common problem is dirty injectors at this point.

Oh, and it needs a full synthetic oil....so, when you were hoping to get the $19.99 oil change at Car-X, it quickly triples that cost. :/

And the brakes are about gone now, too, despite mostly highway driving.

And the worst part? Don't get a flat tire. There is NO SPARE. NONE.

The only good part of this car is the gas mileage, but even then, it's not as good as other manuals out there. I get about 33 mpg with, as I said, mostly highway driving.

My Mini Jazz
By Deb King

2011 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased my Mini in February of 2015. I had driven several Mini's before I purchased this model. I actually found her on the internet, called the dealership, put down a deposit and pickup her that weekend. The dealership was not a local dealer. I purchased the Mini with under 50,000 miles on her. I started having problems around 60,000 miles. I took her to a local BMW repair shop due to a lack of acceleration. I was told that she needed an walnut blasting due to carbon build up on the engine intake. They also replaced plugs and wires....$700.00. Later, I had a brake (dash) light come on. I took her back to the repair shop. I was told she need brake pads, new sensors and rotors.....$900.00. I did not purchase an extended warrant so this was an out of pocket expense. I was told by the mechanic that everything should be good for awhile. Needless to say, I was very disappointed in Mini...... Well, I now have almost 70,000 miles on her, with no recent problems. I still must say.....I still love my Mini JAZZ. She is my midlife crisis...LOL......Deb

MINI is a big LEMON
By David Ginsburg

2011 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

You could buy a MINI...or you could throw a pile of cash into a burning dumpster and get the same value. I have a 2011 MINI S, with 63k miles. Car is CONSTANTLY in need of repair. To date, I've replaced the ignition coils and spark plugs three times apiece--THREE TIMES!-- plus hoses, a water pump, drive wheel, fly wheel, water pump pulley, and the AC compressor. Now, the radio is fried and the replacement is $1,000.00 installed.

It's hugely expensive and frustrating, and I would NEVER buy another MINI. I've spoke with the customer relations team several times, and although they are very nice and do their best to placate customers, that's all they do--placate you. There is never an actual solution provided. I'm hoping a class-action suit is filed against MINI soon, because I believe they are defrauding consumers with poorly-built cars and hiding the true costs of ownership. This is the worst ownership experience I've had in 25+ years of driving.

I knew it was a mistake
By sanscrainte

2011 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought a 2011 Mini Cooper for my son to earn to drive on because it was like a go-kart.
I knew what I was in for, it being a perfect storm of unreliability being a German car made in England.
All of my other vehicles are either a Toyota or a Scion.
You buy them and drive them.
They are like purchasing an appliance.
We had the Mini for 5 months when the timing chain broke at a red light, destroying the engine.
Now, although this is a known defect, BMW waned nothing t do with it.
This left me with a $6000 engine replacement and Gid knows what after that.
Know this; if you are not rich, buy Japanese every-time.
Never, ever, buy German or English.
Bad Motor Works.

The color and size of the car.

Recall all the 2011 for timing chain issues.

Real Lemon
By 1sadmini

2011 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

We purchased this car for our daughter, wanted a car that war dependable and safe. Turned out to be a real Lemon. Spends more time in the shop. Can't fix anything unless you have a pix or video to show the problem. Was missing parts from the factory also. Problems still exist. BMW USA offered to replace the car because of all the problems, then changes their mind the next day when we were going to take their offer. Be very careful if you decide to purchase this car from Mini(BMW USA), they do not stand behind their product. Guess that is why there is the LEMON LAW. May have to go to court to get relief. Very disappointed with what was suppose to be a superior company and product.