Used 2011 MINI Cooper Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Chose this over a Miata
By skysoxwiz

2011 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I spent a world of time comparing the Cooper to the Mazda Miata. They're both great cars, fun to drive and easy to buy and own. I think I would be happy with either car but the Mini has the "cute factor" over the Miata. 9,000,000 Miata owners can't be wrong but it also makes it somewhat ordinary. The Cooper "S" is incredibly fun to drive, especially in a mountain state like Colorado.

Favorite Features

The 6 speed automatic transmission is great. I do a lot of in-city driving and during test drives found the 6 speed manual to be quite a chore, clutching, shifting etc. I'm 65 years old so that affected my comfort level as well. I love the Mini's scary-fast acceleration, it's mountain handling (it dares you to push its handling limits) and the deep bucket seats that keep you stable during driving. It looks great, handles perfectly and makes each trip out a pleasure.

Suggested Improvements

While Mini prides itself on tradition I think the controls and dash could be reorganized. There's just something counter-intuitive to reaching for the dash to roll the windows up or down! The placement and function of the road and fog lamps is somewhat confusing but probably because I don't use them that much. The sound system is arcane and could use a simple Motorola radio/CD player!

Dream come true
By jg2310

2011 MINI Cooper Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I have wanted a cooper convertiable since it was released. The 2011 seems to have corrected alll of the control complaints I have read about with the 2010 model. I have driven a 2006 s model, and the 2011 ride is much smoother....no comparison. The 6 speed manual is a must, so much fun.

Life is Good
By Anonymous

2011 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought Cadbury (Hot Chocolate exterior with Polar Beige interior) less than a month ago and loving every top down minute! No regrets on selling our 2008 Miata. Averaging 31 mpg.

Favorite Features

Convenience pkg. Bluetooth works great. Sport mode!

Suggested Improvements

Allow orange dash lighting to change with ambient lighting.

Worth the wait
By minidoc

2011 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Traded my Buddy 06 dark Gray s conv (which I messed up trying to modify an automatic) 2011 is a total beast, horizon blue, subdued but classy ( no racing strips on this one) feel like "James Bond " (keep dreaming), premium package a bit too much chrome, probably swap side mirror caps for blue 06 felt like a toy, this machine is the real deal, powerful, stable, a blast to drive in sport mode ( feels like a BMW/ Audi sport car with mini quirkiness. So I'm in Boston w/ first new convertible on the block, sure to be a head Turner

Favorite Features

power, front grill, handling, interior ( all black with chrome)

Suggested Improvements

so far first 150 miles only averaging 22 mpg? we'll see