Used 2011 MINI Cooper Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

I knew it was a mistake
By sanscrainte

2011 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought a 2011 Mini Cooper for my son to earn to drive on because it was like a go-kart. I knew what I was in for, it being a perfect storm of unreliability being a German car made in England. All of my other vehicles are either a Toyota or a Scion. You buy them and drive them. They are like purchasing an appliance. We had the Mini for 5 months when the timing chain broke at a red light, destroying the engine. Now, although this is a known defect, BMW waned nothing t do with it. This left me with a $6000 engine replacement and Gid knows what after that. Know this; if you are not rich, buy Japanese every-time. Never, ever, buy German or English. Bad Motor Works.

The color and size of the car.

Recall all the 2011 for timing chain issues.

Real Lemon
By 1sadmini

2011 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

We purchased this car for our daughter, wanted a car that war dependable and safe. Turned out to be a real Lemon. Spends more time in the shop. Can't fix anything unless you have a pix or video to show the problem. Was missing parts from the factory also. Problems still exist. BMW USA offered to replace the car because of all the problems, then changes their mind the next day when we were going to take their offer. Be very careful if you decide to purchase this car from Mini(BMW USA), they do not stand behind their product. Guess that is why there is the LEMON LAW. May have to go to court to get relief. Very disappointed with what was suppose to be a superior company and product.

Great small car
By exp10

2011 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Well I did it I got my MINI. I'm glad I got the manual it's a blast to drive even if it's a non turbo. I took a 700 mile trip north and avg 46 mpg on a flat expressway with keeping the speed of 65mph. If you go above that MPG will not be as great. 70 mph not bad and still received 42mpg. Keep your foot out of it and shift easy 32-35mpg in city shouldn't be a problem. I installed a K&N Typhoon kit and sounds great and improved MPG. I looked at many other cars in the same type of class. This one gave me the most personal room. It's bigger than you think on the inside. I can even fit my kids booster seats in. I have a 6 and 8 year old and they can ride in back no problem.

Looks. I have the spice orange with black rims and roof. I get all kinds of compliments. On board stereo with blue tooth is great. The usb can play MP3 from a flash drive very cool. Maintenance reminder.

Change the place where the USB plugs into. The power window buttons get blocked by cup holders if drinks are in them. The Continental Premium Contact 2 tires are really bad in wet weather I would stay away from them. Need to install a Temperature gauge. I live in the south and gets very hot. I like to pay attention to temps

Crazy in love with my MINI
By JML

2011 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Had been dreaming of getting a MINI for years. (family member has had 2 already) Finally got bran new 2011 w/ manual tranny last month, and have been grinning ear to ear ever since. If my MINI could be said to have any flaw, it would be that the ride is a little noisy--but that's ok: have been turning off radio anyway b/c enjoying listening to the engine growl and purr as I shift gears! This is by far the best car I have ever owned. Almost tempted to do the grocery shopping one item at a time just to have as many excuses to drive as possible!! Can't describe it: it's more than just a car...it has a personality all it's own. It's like a pet I can drive around in!

sun roof, heated seats, xenon headlamps with adaptive controller, sport button, exterior styling, sport seats. Oh, EVERYTHING!

my MINI is perfect; wouldn't change a thing (but wish I ordered the auto- dimming rear view mirrors along with the other goodies for MINI....will order those with my next MINI)

A car that makes you feel great
By bryan

2011 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I have wanted one of these cars for a long time. Now that 2 of the 3 kids are away at school, it was time to take the plunge. The car is amazing, very high tech with all the amenities of a luxury car. It is so much fun to drive and I am getting better than 33mpg overall. With the back seats folded down there is plenty of space for trips to Costco, etc. I especially like the 3 year no cost maintenance and the 4/50 bumper to bumper warranty. I guess we are still on the honeymoon but I think it is going to last.

sunroof, sat radio, blue tooth, 6 speed manual trans.

it's perfect.