Used 2011 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2011 MINI Cooper

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

I knew it was a mistake
By sanscrainte

2011 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought a 2011 Mini Cooper for my son to earn to drive on because it was like a go-kart. I knew what I was in for, it being a perfect storm of unreliability being a German car made in England. All of my other vehicles are either a Toyota or a Scion. You buy them and drive them. They are like purchasing an appliance. We had the Mini for 5 months when the timing chain broke at a red light, destroying the engine. Now, although this is a known defect, BMW waned nothing t do with it. This left me with a $6000 engine replacement and Gid knows what after that. Know this; if you are not rich, buy Japanese every-time. Never, ever, buy German or English. Bad Motor Works.

Favorite Features

The color and size of the car.

Suggested Improvements

Recall all the 2011 for timing chain issues.

Real Lemon
By 1sadmini

2011 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

We purchased this car for our daughter, wanted a car that war dependable and safe. Turned out to be a real Lemon. Spends more time in the shop. Can't fix anything unless you have a pix or video to show the problem. Was missing parts from the factory also. Problems still exist. BMW USA offered to replace the car because of all the problems, then changes their mind the next day when we were going to take their offer. Be very careful if you decide to purchase this car from Mini(BMW USA), they do not stand behind their product. Guess that is why there is the LEMON LAW. May have to go to court to get relief. Very disappointed with what was suppose to be a superior company and product.

Chose this over a Miata
By skysoxwiz

2011 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I spent a world of time comparing the Cooper to the Mazda Miata. They're both great cars, fun to drive and easy to buy and own. I think I would be happy with either car but the Mini has the "cute factor" over the Miata. 9,000,000 Miata owners can't be wrong but it also makes it somewhat ordinary. The Cooper "S" is incredibly fun to drive, especially in a mountain state like Colorado.

Favorite Features

The 6 speed automatic transmission is great. I do a lot of in-city driving and during test drives found the 6 speed manual to be quite a chore, clutching, shifting etc. I'm 65 years old so that affected my comfort level as well. I love the Mini's scary-fast acceleration, it's mountain handling (it dares you to push its handling limits) and the deep bucket seats that keep you stable during driving. It looks great, handles perfectly and makes each trip out a pleasure.

Suggested Improvements

While Mini prides itself on tradition I think the controls and dash could be reorganized. There's just something counter-intuitive to reaching for the dash to roll the windows up or down! The placement and function of the road and fog lamps is somewhat confusing but probably because I don't use them that much. The sound system is arcane and could use a simple Motorola radio/CD player!

Great small car
By exp10

2011 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Well I did it I got my MINI. I'm glad I got the manual it's a blast to drive even if it's a non turbo. I took a 700 mile trip north and avg 46 mpg on a flat expressway with keeping the speed of 65mph. If you go above that MPG will not be as great. 70 mph not bad and still received 42mpg. Keep your foot out of it and shift easy 32-35mpg in city shouldn't be a problem. I installed a K&N Typhoon kit and sounds great and improved MPG. I looked at many other cars in the same type of class. This one gave me the most personal room. It's bigger than you think on the inside. I can even fit my kids booster seats in. I have a 6 and 8 year old and they can ride in back no problem.

Favorite Features

Looks. I have the spice orange with black rims and roof. I get all kinds of compliments. On board stereo with blue tooth is great. The usb can play MP3 from a flash drive very cool. Maintenance reminder.

Suggested Improvements

Change the place where the USB plugs into. The power window buttons get blocked by cup holders if drinks are in them. The Continental Premium Contact 2 tires are really bad in wet weather I would stay away from them. Need to install a Temperature gauge. I live in the south and gets very hot. I like to pay attention to temps

2011 Cooper S
By mini_ziggy

2011 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My wife just traded her '11 Countryman for another '11 Cooper "S" -- she previously owned an '05 "S" and thought AWD was the way to go. She knew the minute we drove off the lot (w/Countryman) that she would be back for another hardtop--just no comparison. The '11 hardtop is great -- Mini has worked hard to refine the hardtop over the years and it shows. The quality of the car is outstanding whether you're talking about engine performance, handling, interior quietness...it's all better!