2011 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
I knew it was a mistake
By sanscrainte on 11/02/13 00:41 AM (PDT)

2011 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought a 2011 Mini Cooper for my son to earn to drive on because it was like a go-kart. I knew what I was in for, it being a perfect storm of unreliability being a German car made in England. All of my other vehicles are either a Toyota or a Scion. You buy them and drive them. They are like purchasing an appliance. We had the Mini for 5 months when the timing chain broke at a red light, destroying the engine. Now, although this is a known defect, BMW waned nothing t do with it. This left me with a $6000 engine replacement and Gid knows what after that. Know this; if you are not rich, buy Japanese every-time. Never, ever, buy German or English. Bad Motor Works.

Real Lemon
By 1sadmini on 05/18/13 07:53 AM (PDT)

2011 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

We purchased this car for our daughter, wanted a car that war dependable and safe. Turned out to be a real Lemon. Spends more time in the shop. Can't fix anything unless you have a pix or video to show the problem. Was missing parts from the factory also. Problems still exist. BMW USA offered to replace the car because of all the problems, then changes their mind the next day when we were going to take their offer. Be very careful if you decide to purchase this car from Mini(BMW USA), they do not stand behind their product. Guess that is why there is the LEMON LAW. May have to go to court to get relief. Very disappointed with what was suppose to be a superior company and product.

Chose this over a Miata
By skysoxwiz on 07/27/11 16:48 PM (PDT)

2011 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I spent a world of time comparing the Cooper to the Mazda Miata. They're both great cars, fun to drive and easy to buy and own. I think I would be happy with either car but the Mini has the "cute factor" over the Miata. 9,000,000 Miata owners can't be wrong but it also makes it somewhat ordinary. The Cooper "S" is incredibly fun to drive, especially in a mountain state like Colorado.

Great small car
By exp10 on 07/09/11 21:32 PM (PDT)

2011 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Well I did it I got my MINI. I'm glad I got the manual it's a blast to drive even if it's a non turbo. I took a 700 mile trip north and avg 46 mpg on a flat expressway with keeping the speed of 65mph. If you go above that MPG will not be as great. 70 mph not bad and still received 42mpg. Keep your foot out of it and shift easy 32-35mpg in city shouldn't be a problem. I installed a K&N Typhoon kit and sounds great and improved MPG. I looked at many other cars in the same type of class. This one gave me the most personal room. It's bigger than you think on the inside. I can even fit my kids booster seats in. I have a 6 and 8 year old and they can ride in back no problem.

2011 Cooper S
By mini_ziggy on 06/27/11 17:58 PM (PDT)

2011 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My wife just traded her '11 Countryman for another '11 Cooper "S" -- she previously owned an '05 "S" and thought AWD was the way to go. She knew the minute we drove off the lot (w/Countryman) that she would be back for another hardtop--just no comparison. The '11 hardtop is great -- Mini has worked hard to refine the hardtop over the years and it shows. The quality of the car is outstanding whether you're talking about engine performance, handling, interior quietness...it's all better!

"S" engine is now a star
By clutchplate on 05/24/11 16:52 PM (PDT)

2011 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

It's hard to believe the Mini Cooper S is only rated at 181 horsepower, it feels like more. After driving the standard Cooper hardtop the difference was night and day... if you can't afford the S, don't drive one. I also have a Lotus Elise & have been driving both up the same canyon road to observe the differences. The Lotus corners quicker/flatter, but the Cooper launches you out of a corner with more low end (turbo) thrust. Its power is in the midrange and it flings you forward from around 3,000 RPM. What a blast. It leans a bit while cornering but stays neutral when you hit the gas so you don't need to enter a turn super fast to maintain speed. Great fun, great car.

I Love My Car! But im loosing it! Bee ware!
By 0to60n6 on 03/04/11 21:10 PM (PST)

2011 MINI Cooper John Cooper Works 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My car has been thru everything! Jumps, high speed runs, never has overheated or indicated any ware and tear. I was 15 when i got my car and i loved it! I have gotten hit by a drunk driver in a loaner car and it was a cooper and i obveously didn't die and the Full sized truck was in the ditch and i was stil on the road. He was more seriously enjured, oh and he side swiped me going 80... I love my car to death, but theres one thing to beware it sticks out like a sore thumb i got pulled over the oother day on the interstate for the wrong speed because i stick out and they didn't see the other car so my parents are selling my baby. :( Best car i have ever had and i will miss it so much :(.

Dream come true
By jg2310 on 01/30/11 17:38 PM (PST)

2011 MINI Cooper 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I have wanted a cooper convertiable since it was released. The 2011 seems to have corrected alll of the control complaints I have read about with the 2010 model. I have driven a 2006 s model, and the 2011 ride is much smoother....no comparison. The 6 speed manual is a must, so much fun.

Life is Good
By Anonymous on 12/06/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought Cadbury (Hot Chocolate exterior with Polar Beige interior) less than a month ago and loving every top down minute! No regrets on selling our 2008 Miata. Averaging 31 mpg.

Crazy in love with my MINI
By JML on 11/30/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Had been dreaming of getting a MINI for years. (family member has had 2 already) Finally got bran new 2011 w/ manual tranny last month, and have been grinning ear to ear ever since. If my MINI could be said to have any flaw, it would be that the ride is a little noisy--but that's ok: have been turning off radio anyway b/c enjoying listening to the engine growl and purr as I shift gears! This is by far the best car I have ever owned. Almost tempted to do the grocery shopping one item at a time just to have as many excuses to drive as possible!! Can't describe it: it's more than just a car...it has a personality all it's own. It's like a pet I can drive around in!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 MINI Cooper in NJ is:

$213 per month*