Used 2011 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

My Mini Jazz
By Deb King

2011 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased my Mini in February of 2015. I had driven several Mini's before I purchased this model. I actually found her on the internet, called the dealership, put down a deposit and pickup her that weekend. The dealership was not a local dealer. I purchased the Mini with under 50,000 miles on her. I started having problems around 60,000 miles. I took her to a local BMW repair shop due to a lack of acceleration. I was told that she needed an walnut blasting due to carbon build up on the engine intake. They also replaced plugs and wires....$700.00. Later, I had a brake (dash) light come on. I took her back to the repair shop. I was told she need brake pads, new sensors and rotors.....$900.00. I did not purchase an extended warrant so this was an out of pocket expense. I was told by the mechanic that everything should be good for awhile. Needless to say, I was very disappointed in Mini...... Well, I now have almost 70,000 miles on her, with no recent problems. I still must say.....I still love my Mini JAZZ. She is my midlife crisis...LOL......Deb

MINI is a big LEMON
By David Ginsburg

2011 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

You could buy a MINI...or you could throw a pile of cash into a burning dumpster and get the same value. I have a 2011 MINI S, with 63k miles. Car is CONSTANTLY in need of repair. To date, I've replaced the ignition could twice, spark plugs, hoses, water pump, drive wheel, fly wheel, water pump pulley, and had trouble with the air conditioning unit. It's hugely expensive and frustrating, and I would NEVER buy another MINI. I've spoke with the customer relations team several times, and although they are very nice and do their best to placate customers, that's all they do--placate you. There is never an actual solution provided. I'm hoping a class-action suit is filed against MINI soon, because I believe they are defrauding consumers with poorly-built cars and hiding the true costs of ownership. This is the worst ownership experience I've had in 25+ years of driving.

I knew it was a mistake
By sanscrainte

2011 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought a 2011 Mini Cooper for my son to earn to drive on because it was like a go-kart. I knew what I was in for, it being a perfect storm of unreliability being a German car made in England. All of my other vehicles are either a Toyota or a Scion. You buy them and drive them. They are like purchasing an appliance. We had the Mini for 5 months when the timing chain broke at a red light, destroying the engine. Now, although this is a known defect, BMW waned nothing t do with it. This left me with a $6000 engine replacement and Gid knows what after that. Know this; if you are not rich, buy Japanese every-time. Never, ever, buy German or English. Bad Motor Works.

The color and size of the car.

Recall all the 2011 for timing chain issues.

Real Lemon
By 1sadmini

2011 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

We purchased this car for our daughter, wanted a car that war dependable and safe. Turned out to be a real Lemon. Spends more time in the shop. Can't fix anything unless you have a pix or video to show the problem. Was missing parts from the factory also. Problems still exist. BMW USA offered to replace the car because of all the problems, then changes their mind the next day when we were going to take their offer. Be very careful if you decide to purchase this car from Mini(BMW USA), they do not stand behind their product. Guess that is why there is the LEMON LAW. May have to go to court to get relief. Very disappointed with what was suppose to be a superior company and product.

Chose this over a Miata
By skysoxwiz

2011 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I spent a world of time comparing the Cooper to the Mazda Miata. They're both great cars, fun to drive and easy to buy and own. I think I would be happy with either car but the Mini has the "cute factor" over the Miata. 9,000,000 Miata owners can't be wrong but it also makes it somewhat ordinary. The Cooper "S" is incredibly fun to drive, especially in a mountain state like Colorado.

The 6 speed automatic transmission is great. I do a lot of in-city driving and during test drives found the 6 speed manual to be quite a chore, clutching, shifting etc. I'm 65 years old so that affected my comfort level as well. I love the Mini's scary-fast acceleration, it's mountain handling (it dares you to push its handling limits) and the deep bucket seats that keep you stable during driving. It looks great, handles perfectly and makes each trip out a pleasure.

While Mini prides itself on tradition I think the controls and dash could be reorganized. There's just something counter-intuitive to reaching for the dash to roll the windows up or down! The placement and function of the road and fog lamps is somewhat confusing but probably because I don't use them that much. The sound system is arcane and could use a simple Motorola radio/CD player!

• SUV