Used 2010 MINI Cooper S Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2010 MINI Cooper

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Worst car experience
By faye

2010 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I Bought this car after having driven a 1998 Ranger for a year and a half. It was supposed to be my rliable vehicle. I bought it used and for the first month it was great. Pros: it accelerates well, can park anywhere,and has great fuel economy. Cons: closest dealership is 4 hours (300+ miles) away & getting them to do anything is like pulling teeth, repairs are a nightmare as they are way over what i have ever paid in repairs on any other vehicle, constant breaking down. I can honestly say ihave paid more on this car to fix it then i have actually gotten paid off on it and i have had it almost two years and only driven it less then half of that as repairs usually take a month or more to get done.

So Glad to Not Have It Anymore!
By Marko

2010 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We loved it at first, the handling the materials, the BOSE sound, great mileage, superb handling! However, Waterpump broke at 48K ($700), and the engine runs very ruff , so loud, clanking- I think its known timing chain issue. Transmission started make lound noises when shifting and we are just over 50K.... Also, the inside plastic makes so much noise on rough roads, it's very annoying. The AUX input does not work very well. We traded it in and very happy with our new VW!

Like a little go-kart
By nmwolfe

2010 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my Mini new in August 2010 from a dealer in Albuquerque, NM. I've owned a 1966 Porsche 911, a 1973 Porsche 911s and a 1985 Porsche 930, but I can honestly say my little Mini although it "ain't a Porsche is a blast. I've got 50k on it and my MPG which I never have reset is 37.5 and my average MPH is 58.9 over those 50,000 miles. Top speed, 149......I couldn't get it to 150. Oh well, 149 MPH is pretty fast and it'll get there pretty quick. I truly love my Mini!

This thing will get 40-50 MPG cruising at 70 MPH. Handling is very good. I'm only 5'8 so it fits me like a glove. I find it very comfortable.

The speaker on the drivers door is in a bad place. My foot hits it when I get out of the car so the plastic cover is cracked. The weather seal around the windshield has cracked?

Not Reliable
By dynamos

2010 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We loved our Mini--until about 15,000 miles, when it began to run a little rough.
By 18,000 miles, the check engine light came on.
We took it to the local Mini dealer for service.
Turns out there were multiple error messages, due to excessive carbon build-up in the engine.
The problem was caused by the direct injection system.
They cleaned the engine by removing the intake manifold and blowing out the engine with crushed walnut shells.
Also, the timing belt tensioner was loose and leaking oil.
They tightened it and replaced the gasket.
The service writer stated that the repairs would have cost over $600 if the car was not on warranty.

The car is fun to drive and gets good gas mileage. Ours was an automatic.

Mini and BMW needs to fix the carbon build-up problem. It was suggested we used a top tier gas, like Chevron with Techron to lessen the problem. Unfortunately, 90% of the fuel we used in our Mini was Chevron Premium. Turns out this carbon problem, along with the timing chain issue has been around since 2007. Supposedly, the 2012's have solved the issue, although the service guy did not know what had been done. I would stay away from Mini. If you search the internet, you will find many more owners and former owners with similar problems. We traded for a Honda.

Great Alternative
By es

2010 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is perfect for my daily 20 mile, one way commute. Fits into 50% more parking spaces - such a pleasure in NYC. Performs great although gear-shifting in auto lags a bit. Switching to manual takes care of that. Love the look and roomy interior (cant speak for backseat.) Gas mileage a little less than estimated (27) but still very good (24-25). Sport mode is a little jumpy for city driving (for me) but great for highway. Overall very very pleased with purchase.

Handling and pickup are second to none. Affordable price. Unique look. Car is all windows adding to spacious feel of interior. Armrest-worth the extra $250 - adds another storage space to otherwise limited storage capacity. Ipod interface.

Mesh sun-roof cover does not block sun well enough. Visors also are too small - when put to the side window does not come close to providing shade for me or passenger. Limited storage space.