Used 2010 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2010 MINI Cooper

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Like a little go-kart
By nmwolfe

2010 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my Mini new in August 2010 from a dealer in Albuquerque, NM. I've owned a 1966 Porsche 911, a 1973 Porsche 911s and a 1985 Porsche 930, but I can honestly say my little Mini although it "ain't a Porsche is a blast. I've got 50k on it and my MPG which I never have reset is 37.5 and my average MPH is 58.9 over those 50,000 miles. Top speed, 149......I couldn't get it to 150. Oh well, 149 MPH is pretty fast and it'll get there pretty quick. I truly love my Mini!

Favorite Features

This thing will get 40-50 MPG cruising at 70 MPH. Handling is very good. I'm only 5'8 so it fits me like a glove. I find it very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

The speaker on the drivers door is in a bad place. My foot hits it when I get out of the car so the plastic cover is cracked. The weather seal around the windshield has cracked?

Not Reliable
By dynamos

2010 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We loved our Mini--until about 15,000 miles, when it began to run a little rough. By 18,000 miles, the check engine light came on. We took it to the local Mini dealer for service. Turns out there were multiple error messages, due to excessive carbon build-up in the engine. The problem was caused by the direct injection system. They cleaned the engine by removing the intake manifold and blowing out the engine with crushed walnut shells. Also, the timing belt tensioner was loose and leaking oil. They tightened it and replaced the gasket. The service writer stated that the repairs would have cost over $600 if the car was not on warranty.

Favorite Features

The car is fun to drive and gets good gas mileage. Ours was an automatic.

Suggested Improvements

Mini and BMW needs to fix the carbon build-up problem. It was suggested we used a top tier gas, like Chevron with Techron to lessen the problem. Unfortunately, 90% of the fuel we used in our Mini was Chevron Premium. Turns out this carbon problem, along with the timing chain issue has been around since 2007. Supposedly, the 2012's have solved the issue, although the service guy did not know what had been done. I would stay away from Mini. If you search the internet, you will find many more owners and former owners with similar problems. We traded for a Honda.

Great Alternative
By es

2010 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is perfect for my daily 20 mile, one way commute. Fits into 50% more parking spaces - such a pleasure in NYC. Performs great although gear-shifting in auto lags a bit. Switching to manual takes care of that. Love the look and roomy interior (cant speak for backseat.) Gas mileage a little less than estimated (27) but still very good (24-25). Sport mode is a little jumpy for city driving (for me) but great for highway. Overall very very pleased with purchase.

Favorite Features

Handling and pickup are second to none. Affordable price. Unique look. Car is all windows adding to spacious feel of interior. Armrest-worth the extra $250 - adds another storage space to otherwise limited storage capacity. Ipod interface.

Suggested Improvements

Mesh sun-roof cover does not block sun well enough. Visors also are too small - when put to the side window does not come close to providing shade for me or passenger. Limited storage space.

THE best small car for your $
By barmjuan

2010 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I recently found myself in the market for a new car. Since I knew I wanted a car made by BMW but only wanted to spend about $30k the choice was pretty obvious. I didn't realize it would be so obvious that this car was made by BMW. The Mini Cooper S is so fun to drive you may, as I did, have to adjust to having a car that handles so well, an engine that is just so eager to jump at being driven hard, and still manage to get around 30 mpg in the process.

Favorite Features

You can customize this car to make it yours. It can be very classy, it can be sporty, it can be race car like, it can be just about anything you want to configure it to be.

Suggested Improvements

The one and only thing I'd like to see improved is throttle response in regular driving, it's just a bit sluggish and jerky if you're anything but careful pressing the gas. Sport improves response but forces the transmission to shift at much higher rpm, with all that torque you shouldn't have to.

A brand new MINI with dead USB port
By ymc

2010 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought a brand new MINI a few weeks ago. Before we signed the purchased contract, we found the iphone/USB port does not work. The dealer insured us that was just a very minor and common issue in some 2010 mini and could be fixed easily by updating software upgrade or just replacing a small united called ULH box (where all the wires for the usb/ipod connect). He said if we can wait for a few hours they can fix it. We were so stupid and believed his words, and took the car since we run out of the time stay over there. Now it turns out a very serious problem, after I send the car back for them to fix. They cannot fix the USB port in a few hours but request a few days.

Favorite Features

We don't like the sunroof screen at the beginning since it is not completed blocked. But after driving a while we do enjoy it. You get fresh air without too much sun burn!

Suggested Improvements

The dealer told us such common problems of Mini and BMW happen all the time. Even for his BMW went repaired right after he bought. I asked how come they didn't check before I come to pick the car. He told me they only check big things, well, that is an $750 update but not in check list!