2010 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
Not Reliable
By dynamos on 02/06/12 15:56 PM (PST)

2010 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We loved our Mini--until about 15,000 miles, when it began to run a little rough. By 18,000 miles, the check engine light came on. We took it to the local Mini dealer for service. Turns out there were multiple error messages, due to excessive carbon build-up in the engine. The problem was caused by the direct injection system. They cleaned the engine by removing the intake manifold and blowing out the engine with crushed walnut shells. Also, the timing belt tensioner was loose and leaking oil. They tightened it and replaced the gasket. The service writer stated that the repairs would have cost over $600 if the car was not on warranty.

Great Alternative
By es on 10/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is perfect for my daily 20 mile, one way commute. Fits into 50% more parking spaces - such a pleasure in NYC. Performs great although gear-shifting in auto lags a bit. Switching to manual takes care of that. Love the look and roomy interior (cant speak for backseat.) Gas mileage a little less than estimated (27) but still very good (24-25). Sport mode is a little jumpy for city driving (for me) but great for highway. Overall very very pleased with purchase.

THE best small car for your $
By barmjuan on 10/08/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I recently found myself in the market for a new car. Since I knew I wanted a car made by BMW but only wanted to spend about $30k the choice was pretty obvious. I didn't realize it would be so obvious that this car was made by BMW. The Mini Cooper S is so fun to drive you may, as I did, have to adjust to having a car that handles so well, an engine that is just so eager to jump at being driven hard, and still manage to get around 30 mpg in the process.

A brand new MINI with dead USB port
By ymc on 09/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought a brand new MINI a few weeks ago. Before we signed the purchased contract, we found the iphone/USB port does not work. The dealer insured us that was just a very minor and common issue in some 2010 mini and could be fixed easily by updating software upgrade or just replacing a small united called ULH box (where all the wires for the usb/ipod connect). He said if we can wait for a few hours they can fix it. We were so stupid and believed his words, and took the car since we run out of the time stay over there. Now it turns out a very serious problem, after I send the car back for them to fix. They cannot fix the USB port in a few hours but request a few days.

Enjoyable Ride
By jekahrn on 08/05/10 06:04 AM (PDT)

2010 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is a great little car, it has speed, maneuverability,and is comfortable! I drive 3 hrs a day one way to work, and the gas mileage is 40 to 42! I find that Shell gas works the best, any other and the mileage fall to 38. Bluetooth works well and be sure to get the better radio. All in all, a good choice.

Great Car!
By ChrisNJ on 07/02/10 09:28 AM (PDT)

2010 MINI Cooper 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I just traded a 2009 Mini Cp for a 2010 Mini Conv. Previous to these 2 cars I have always driven BMWs. I love my Mini. Rarely needs gas. :-)

What Thrill!
By centurion8 on 05/19/10 15:09 PM (PDT)

2010 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Tired of "run-of-the-mill" cars. Wanted something different. This Mini S hits home. Still in "brake-in" period, but what a thrill to drive. Plenty of power, great cornering, excellent stability. We could not ask for anything more. Added a few options. Pleased with MPG, right now showing 29. Has factory turbo and boy does it move. Very pleased with this Mini S.

Interesting...
By Euro on 04/21/10 05:21 AM (PDT)

2010 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Well so far I am having fun driving. I am not sure how it handles in the snow or in cold weather yet so I am trying to wait to pass "full" judgment. As far as the way it handles day to day I find it easy to maneuver and great reaction timing.

Tantilizing
By dee on 04/07/10 16:59 PM (PDT)

2010 MINI Cooper John Cooper Works 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Wonderful - JCW Fun. I have owned BMW (535), Lexus (IS, ES), Mini Cooper S, and now this fun go cart! Expectation exceeds my already high expectations It's sexy

Our new MINI
By hrnsindy on 04/07/10 06:40 AM (PDT)

2010 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

When we purchased this MINI, I wasn't sure about it. I had liked the VW GTI, But hubby and daughter were sold on this..but now that I have driven it - I love it too! the gas mileage is great we are getting 33/36 mpg! and it is fun! I find that I have a bit more of a defensive driver as people tend to run you over. But our 16 yr loves it and I see that she is a better driver too. We had a Mustang GT, but this far better and we are glad we bought it! We keep it in sport mode for city driving (the turbo lag is the only thing I don't like) but Sport mode takes that away. Get the Mini Cooper S...and the good stereo.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 MINI Cooper in NJ is:

$218 per month*