replacement for my 911
By hellfire on
2009 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
No it's not a 911, but it is surprisingly more fun. The quirky character starts with the handling and interior, and goes all the way to the company propaganda (love the 'always open' mantra and the crazy ads that go with it). I can pull more g's in the corners than i could with my 911 or boxster even on stock suspension & tires (love the incredulous look as i pass them on the curvy on-ramps). incredibly easy to manage the manual transmission - heel-toe downshifts are easy, rev-matching is much easier than the supercharged minis. averaging 29MPG with spirited driving+some stopngo.
Favorite Features
there's an ineffable fun quality that has made me take more pointless rides in this car than any other i've driven, including 911's, turbos, mercedes, etc. it's the combo of handling, transmission and pep. surprisingly good exhaust note. hill holder takes drama out of hillstarts. great mileage too!
Suggested Improvements
stock suspension lends itself to torque steer and skittish over bumps - lowering+tighter suspension helps. shifter throw a little long (nothing $150 short shift kit won't fix).