2009 MINI Cooper Consumer Review: Despite the faults, my favorit

2009 MINI Cooper - Consumer Review

John Cooper Works 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Manual)

Despite the faults, my favorite car ever
By Rob on

2009 MINI Cooper John Cooper Works 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've never had more fun in a car than in my MINI JCW. It pulls hard from 2500-5000 RPMs, corners like no other, brakes instantly, and looks outstanding (mine's dark grey with a black roof). It's nice to be the envy of everyone on the road, especially others driving a Cooper or Cooper S. In fact, the sense of community with other MINI drivers is one of my favorite aspects of the car. I was fortunate enough to be in a financial situation where I could afford the JCW, and the slight performance increase (and I mean slight - it's not much) and exclusivity factor made the extra money worth it. HOWEVER, for anyone more sensible than I, the Cooper S is plenty fun and very much less expensive

The exhaust note is perfect, the exterior is gorgeous, its handling is unparalleled, the acceleration is blindingly quick, and the waves from other MINI owners are awesome, but when I walk outside tired and grumpy every morning and re-realize I commute in this car, my day becomes infinitely better.

Interior is somewhat cheezy, base stereo is underpowered, there are some annoying rattles inside, the sunroof shade doesn't block enough light, and scrolling through artists on the integrated iPod adapter takes WAY too long if you have even a moderate amount of music. Much too expensive also.