Used 2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

What a blast !
By brett

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

As everyone else says, this car is extremely fun to drive. The "go kart" term gets used a lot but it's absolutely true. I traded in a Mercedes E350 that was nothing but trouble and have not regretted it once. The MINI is everything I hoped for and more. You just cant help but have a fun driving experience when you are in this car.

Performance: I can take corners the way I never could before. I can also fit in parking spaces that I never could before.

Cup holders are in the way of the window switches. Interior quality is a little cheap in places but overall the car is a great value for the money.

Happy Camper
By Joe

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

The salesman told me it handles like a go cart. I concur. He didn't tell me to expect better gas mileage than advertised. I get 30 mpg around town and over 40 mpg on the highway. Amazing. Very happy with this two seater, the back seat is a joke which I was prepared for before I decided on this great car.

Love the blue tooth for my cell phone, always use the sport button for a little more pep. Very happy with the base engine using regular gasoline. Love the great gas mileage. Excellent ac.

not much

Hot Hatch
By milindsport

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Where do I start? This car so far has been such a pleasure to own and drive...and this is coming from a previous sport sedan owner. The "WOW" factor is definitely there...with impressive engine performance, great fuel econ and excellent driving dynamics. Apart from the performance factor, the design though polarizing to some is undeniably unique and the brand itself has a loyal and dedicated following with a large number of auto enthusiasts in the group. Finally the option to be able to customize this car to your exact specifications can be expensive yet a lot of fun. I have the "S" version which is a must for the performance oriented drive. Try the MINI....you will never stop smiling.

Performance, handling and iconic brand status.

Quirky radio controls, small backseat, run-flat tires.

The most fun car I've ever driven
By CityDriver

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I wanted a combination of excellent performance with great gas mileage for under $25,000. This car is by for the MOST FUN car I've ever driven, and I have had my share of fun cars. The power and handling are very comparable to a BMW. The interior space is deceivingly spacious and although the rear seats are small, the back seats do not deserve the "overly cramped" reputation that they have earned, but you're not buying the car for the back seats. The turbo is more than adequate considering the car gets 34 mpg on the highway. There are a few negative aspects- the controls are not easy to use (radio, heating/cooling system) and the speedometer is in the center of the dash which is awkward.

Fun on Wheels
By Hallockg

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I have had my Mini Cooper Hardtop for about a month now, and I honestly have to say without question it's THE most fun c.ar I've ever had (and I have owned a Firebird and a Camaro). I learned early that I have to be careful....once I was driving down a 35 mph street, and was shocked when I realized I was actually doing 89 mph!! Fuel economy is remarkable, and its extrior looks turns heads on the road.

As Edmund's says, it truly is a "go-kart on steroids".

The automatic transmission is not the smoothest when shifting.