Used 2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

nice car
By Kathy

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Overall happy with this car. Would like to see heater improvements. Heated seats save the day. Don't like the way the oil or whatever it is gets on front wheel rims. Fun to drive and I'll definitely get another one

The rear seat room is fine.
By Carl Anderton

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Even favorable reviews of Mini Coopers claim that the back seats are almost useless. Horse hockey. I'm 6'2", and I've ridden in my backseat. Sure, it's not a stretch limo, but I didn't want a stretch limo. I wanted the ultimate blend of style and utility and that's what I got. My family of 4 fits just fine in my Mini. And I'll tell you something else, that hatchback rear facilitates quite a bit of cargo that your standard 4-door compact could not handle. This car puts a smile on my face every time I get in it. Can you say that about your car?

Favorite Features

Power Handling Style

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the big speedometer in the middle of the dash and put in a temperature gauge.

Fun Car with some minor quirks
By Christine

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Traded my BMW 325is for a Mini and I'm loving it! Similar to the BMW, the handling is great and its fun to drive. Takes sharp turns very well. Since I live in a city that requires plenty of parallel parking, finding parking is amazing. I get compliments on my Mini from everyone. Bucket seats are comfortable. The headrest is larger than any other car brand; I noticed this because I'm short (5'2'') and had to remove them to look behind me, even with the seat pumped to its highest. Never encountered this problem with other cars (including SUVs).

Favorite Features

Hands-free Bluetooth (much more useful and convenient than I ever imagined), iPod adapter, smooth fun ride, gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

These are minor compared the greatness of the Mini: reduce size of the headrest (diameter and height) to a "normal" size, location of window switches so its not obstructed by cupholders, radio interface, move seat levers to one side instead of hidden locations, need trunk/gas door button inside car

Love it! Lots of fun and looks
By Mini09 - TC MI

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I got my Mini with Cash for Clunkers deal. Great value for the money. I have the extended warrantee and the fuel pump had to be replaced at 5000 miles. :( I wasn't happy but the service was good and everything else has been great. Love the pepper white with black top and bonnet stripes--SHARP. Handles great, very fast, mileage good, excellent for running around town for errands, taxiing kids etc.

Favorite Features

Get lots of looks and questions and comments from other drivers. Very fun, enjoy driving to work.

Suggested Improvements

Location of window buttons is awkward and sometimes my travel mug will bump the seat heater and will roast me 'til I notice. Hard for me to open the bonnet (short female fingers) I always need help.

Over The Top Performance
By bbracr

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Economical, well crafted, and hot to trot. The "S" turbo has all the performance & handling you could possibly want while delivering great fuel economy/ The car steps up to anything you want it to do from shopping to open road racing to kana cross and is fantastic for daily use. Interior actually gives me more room that my other car, Corvette, and driving position and flexibility is great for both my wife and myself. The car is an absolute blast and with a few performance enhancements could be a road warrior.

Favorite Features

The drive train is my favorite piece of this car. Good torque & the turbo kicks butt. I use the sport setting / manual and let the car unwind. Shifting is precise. Acceleration at higher speeds is excellent, and cornering ability, due to the wheelbase & low center of gravity makes this a contender.

Suggested Improvements

The run flats it came with are not up to what this car can do. Change 'em! The upgrade sound system is great but doesn't have to take an engineering degree to figure out. The cup holders - Yes it's picky - are a pain and interfere with the controls. Need some exhaust and breather options.