Used 2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 52 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Better than expected
By a happy owner

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

A fun car to drive; I was initially worried about its reliability, but after 12,000 miles, only problem I've had was the electrical control of the Windows (not closing completely when the close button was pressed once), which was fixed by the dealer at no cost promptly. I built and ordered it online, tailor-made for me, after 6 wks, the car was at the dealer as I designed. Cool! Overall, very happy; a great build quality (much better than I expected from a British make, but I guess German engineering is at work nowadays). Will buy it again

fun to drive

not much, don't change it too much for the next generation car!

Mini, a great surprise
By AD MCMLX

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I actually own a Cooper Clubman S which I transitioned to via MB C class Kompressor and BMW Z4. I had no high hopes for this car outside of that was built by BMW. 4 months later and 4k miles on it I absolutely adore this car. Granted this car is the most expensive and overpriced little car on the market but when you get a good deal you appreciate it that much more. This truly is a drivers car especially in SPORTs mode. LA to Vegas (300 mi) with barely over a half a tank (37.6 mpg) 75 mph @3k rpm. 476-500 miles to empty w/ some city driving. Cruises uphill Mount St Jacinto with 3 people in 4th gear to 8000 feet with ease. Rancho Mirage- Idyllwilde-Los Angeles 39.7 mpg.(140 mi)

Steering is top notch, Precise and direct. Turbo shines across the range without being loud. Long drives quite comfortable. USB audio and Satellite radio is a must have, giving you plenty of uninterrupted music.Interior lighting is therapeutic and inviting.

Hope to see the all wheel drive from the new Countryman in all the Mini's. Then this is going to become the best ride ever. Cruise control should be available on manual also. Center console should be standard.

To my fellow Road Warriors
By RoadWarrior

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I love my 2009 MINI and it's a good thing I do because I spend most of my time in it. I am writing this review for people who are considering buying this car for frequent long trips. The car is a blast but I'm not sure I would purchase again because of all the long trips I take. In 14 months I have driven this car almost 60k mi. To be honest, the interior is not very comfortable. After driving about 2 hours on the hwy I start to get fidgety. Being in the passenger seat is almost unbearable after 1hr. Great gas mileage, but not really any pickup on the highway. I know I sound like I'm complaining. I really love my Mini but if you plan on driving as much as I do, you might want to reconsider.

I get lots of compliments on my red and black seats, double sunroof, and huge gauges (tho they're not for everyone.) Mood lights are cool too! The car is a real attn-getter and you feel like you belong to a special club because when you drive past other Mini owners you always get a wave or a smile.

I don't like the placement of the ipod jack, it's almost impossible to connect while you are driving. Window controls are in a bad spot, blocked by cup holders. The hatch can be difficult to open.

nice car
By Kathy

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Overall happy with this car. Would like to see heater improvements. Heated seats save the day. Don't like the way the oil or whatever it is gets on front wheel rims. Fun to drive and I'll definitely get another one

The rear seat room is fine.
By Carl Anderton

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Even favorable reviews of Mini Coopers claim that the back seats are almost useless. Horse hockey. I'm 6'2", and I've ridden in my backseat. Sure, it's not a stretch limo, but I didn't want a stretch limo. I wanted the ultimate blend of style and utility and that's what I got. My family of 4 fits just fine in my Mini. And I'll tell you something else, that hatchback rear facilitates quite a bit of cargo that your standard 4-door compact could not handle. This car puts a smile on my face every time I get in it. Can you say that about your car?

Power Handling Style

Get rid of the big speedometer in the middle of the dash and put in a temperature gauge.