Used 2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Most Helpful|
Piece of junk!
By Carol Forte

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The first year could be called the "honeymoon period". After that lookout! First of all the service dept is comprised of idiots. They will NOT listen to the customer and will look for any reason than the one the customer is complaining about to blame the issue on. My issue? Carbon deposits in the motor. Yes folks, this can happen to your "fun loving" MINI too - and probably will. 4 trips to MINI - 2 times with the engine light on and guess what? Carbon deposits aka "engine buildup". This issues starts to occur between 30- 40K. You will notice skipping in 1st gear, decreased performance, oddities, etc... and the run around from MINI. Good luck! I traded my little buggy of issues!

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Improve service dept, get rid of run flats, fix engine buildup, lower service prices.

Poor Reliability
By lorri636

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have a 2009 Cooper S with automatic transmission. It's a fun car to drive, but goes in to have work done about every 6 months. It's had multiple problems with misfiring, carbon build up, timing belt replaced at 24,000 miles, electronic sensor issues. I'll probably keep it until the warranty is up and then trade it. Will never buy a Mini again.

Terrible Car
By mcmenefee

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

After owning a 2006 cooper I took the plunge and "upgraded" to a 2009 Cooper S. This is one of the biggest car-buying mistakes I have ever made! It has only 40,000 miles on it and has already been towed 3 times, had carbon buildup in the engine, a new clutch and flywheel (beware this costs over $2000), a new timing chain, tensioner, rails, and gears, and the list goes on! I will never buy another mini and plan to get rid of this one as quickly as possible

Favorite Features

It's got great styling and can be fun to drive when it is running properly.

Suggested Improvements

Mini should really revisit the 2006 model specs. I never had a problem with my last cooper.

Great, Fun-to-Drive Car
By engender

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had some problems with carbon build up as mentioned in other reviews, but I have not had any other mechanical problems and I've never had to have my MINI towed. To prevent the carbon build up, I was told to use a gas additive every month and drive in a spirited manner every so often. With my MINI S, I often find myself driving in a spirited manner. The horsepower is great for merging onto an interstate or passing slower cars on single-lane roads. It's also great for weaving in and out of rush-hour traffic. The main drawback is the rough ride. I've hit potholes (and a ladder once) that have slammed my teeth together. However, the only damage done to the MINI was a broken headlight!

Favorite Features

Handling, pickup, gas milage (I get an average of 28 mpg with my spirited rush-hour driving, with about 34 mpg on the interstate).

Suggested Improvements

If a smoother ride would compromise the handling, I'm okay with a jaw-jar every few months.

do not buy
By mike1006

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

do not buy, very unreliable. These cars have major issues. We are very disappointed in service from 800 mini and the car has issues. I would absolutely knowing what I know now never recommend this car to anyone. If an engine light comes on the only acceptable answer is to stop and be stranded. never ever get this car for young people or your wife. Until recent issues we loved it, but now after terrible experiences with dealer not ours but on road and mini themselves I would never buy. If you read this, this is not from an unreasonable person, but a father who does not want anyone else to go through what he has had to do 1200 miles away.