Used 2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 52 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Very cool and fun - til it breaks and cost $$$$
By Mr. Brian

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The poor mans Porsche turns ugly as early problems (Turbo out - fixed under warranty) foreshadow a mixed future. At a mere 55k miles all hell breaks loose. They've got a winner IF they can ever fix reliability. Perhaps 2009 was a fluke? better do your research I decided to sell mine early for a LOSS!!!

TURBO CHARGER
By Barbara Bahrke

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

My vehicle has been babied all the way to 54000 miles. I bought it brand new and it has been serviced through the extended warranty with hardly any issues. At 6years old and 54,000 miles on the odometer, WHAM, BANG massive oil leak and a turbo charger issue. Now $4,000 dollars later, my little red MINI is not so pleasing. Major complaints to MINI I have been learning about since review online. My complaint to MINI fell flat on its face. Thanks a lot MINI for all the consideration! NOT! Is this vehicle going to be yet another expensive paper weight (that's what I have heard other MINI owners call them.

A TRUE MONEY PIT! Buy Anything Else.....
By Luther McKeehan

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned almost every type of car known to mankind and with one exception (67 Porsche 911 S) this is the worst car I've ever owned. Maintenance cost are through the roof, parts and labor extremely expensive. BMW sold the car with a long term KNOWN engineering defect (poor timing chain design) that has motors blowing up all over the world (ck the internet) at between 55k & 65k miles. While maintained to absolute factory standards, mine blew up at less than 30 mph with 60k. After fighting with the company for over 9 months (while I made car & insurance payments and had to acquire an additional vehicle) they only agreed to pay for the $11,000.00+ repairs after I recorded a series of conversations which proved I'd repeatedly been lied to and my attorney told them "fix it today or we file tomorrow!" The local dealership was super but BMW calls the shots. Although they finally did agree that it was a design issue in the end they refused to reimburse me for the towing and miscellaneous out of pocket cost which had been promised to me in every single conversation. BMW Corporation, in my humble opinion, is run by a bunch of crooks who sell cars with known defects and should be jailed. I will NEVER purchase nor recommend any BMW product. Also ask about the engine having to be completely torn down and shot sprayed with crushed walnut shells as part of regular maintenance cleaning because it is so poorly designed. I lost thousands of dollars on this car. They're cute and fun but don't walk....RUN AWAY FROM THIS LEMON!!!!!!

These Cars Have Problems! Be Careful...
By candleman

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Be sure to ask your local dealer just HOW MANY of these vehicles they have serviced for "carbon build up" problems.
Problem starts usually just outside the 36K warranty, are anywhere from $500 - $1000 to fix, and will recur about every 40K miles or so.
Evidently, if they are not driven "aggressively" (high RPM's), this is COMMON.
Do the research, gang... [non-permissible content removed]

My ex-wife and I LOVE the looks, drive and just about everything about this car (except placement of the speedometer). However, given the carbon buildup problem/repair and the fact that it is expected to happen about every 40K miles given the conservative way that we drive, how could we ever recommend it?

Mini dealers KNOW about the "carbon buildup" problem... they see it all the time and charge big $$ to repair it. They do NOT fix the problem... only the symptom and know it will happen again and again. We are so disgusted with how they have treated us and don't understand why others have not posted here previously to warn us. I hope others benefit from this post, and strongly urge you to RESEARCH this before you buy a used one (at 34K miles 9 months ago) like we did.

Great, Fun-to-Drive Car
By engender

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had some problems with carbon build up as mentioned in other reviews, but I have not had any other mechanical problems and I've never had to have my MINI towed. To prevent the carbon build up, I was told to use a gas additive every month and drive in a spirited manner every so often.

With my MINI S, I often find myself driving in a spirited manner. The horsepower is great for merging onto an interstate or passing slower cars on single-lane roads. It's also great for weaving in and out of rush-hour traffic.

The main drawback is the rough ride. I've hit potholes (and a ladder once) that have slammed my teeth together. However, the only damage done to the MINI was a broken headlight!

Handling, pickup, gas milage (I get an average of 28 mpg with my spirited rush-hour driving, with about 34 mpg on the interstate).

If a smoother ride would compromise the handling, I'm okay with a jaw-jar every few months.