2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
These Cars Have Problems! Be Careful...
By candleman on 02/11/13 17:03 PM (PST)

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Be sure to ask your local dealer just HOW MANY of these vehicles they have serviced for "carbon build up" problems. Problem starts usually just outside the 36K warranty, are anywhere from $500 - $1000 to fix, and will recur about every 40K miles or so. Evidently, if they are not driven "aggressively" (high RPM's), this is COMMON. Do the research, gang... [non-permissible content removed]

Great, Fun-to-Drive Car
By engender on 01/02/13 12:02 PM (PST)

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had some problems with carbon build up as mentioned in other reviews, but I have not had any other mechanical problems and I've never had to have my MINI towed. To prevent the carbon build up, I was told to use a gas additive every month and drive in a spirited manner every so often. With my MINI S, I often find myself driving in a spirited manner. The horsepower is great for merging onto an interstate or passing slower cars on single-lane roads. It's also great for weaving in and out of rush-hour traffic. The main drawback is the rough ride. I've hit potholes (and a ladder once) that have slammed my teeth together. However, the only damage done to the MINI was a broken headlight!

Poor Reliability
By lorri636 on 02/19/12 07:00 AM (PST)

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have a 2009 Cooper S with automatic transmission. It's a fun car to drive, but goes in to have work done about every 6 months. It's had multiple problems with misfiring, carbon build up, timing belt replaced at 24,000 miles, electronic sensor issues. I'll probably keep it until the warranty is up and then trade it. Will never buy a Mini again.

do not buy
By mike1006 on 01/29/11 18:59 PM (PST)

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

do not buy, very unreliable. These cars have major issues. We are very disappointed in service from 800 mini and the car has issues. I would absolutely knowing what I know now never recommend this car to anyone. If an engine light comes on the only acceptable answer is to stop and be stranded. never ever get this car for young people or your wife. Until recent issues we loved it, but now after terrible experiences with dealer not ours but on road and mini themselves I would never buy. If you read this, this is not from an unreasonable person, but a father who does not want anyone else to go through what he has had to do 1200 miles away.

BUY OR CONSIDER BUT BEWARE
By chungking on 01/23/11 17:02 PM (PST)

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my Mini Cooper S 2009 brand new. It was performing great for the first year but then as it got older although it was under mileage (12,700 miles) in 14 months of ownership, the engine experienced annoying pinging sound specially while on idling. Note* the engine is warm. I took it to the dealership and was told it's normal. The pinging sound became louder and it sounded like a diesel engine. I traded it in for a Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback AWD Turbo Lancer Ralliart.

Terrible Car
By mcmenefee on 12/29/10 14:37 PM (PST)

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

After owning a 2006 cooper I took the plunge and "upgraded" to a 2009 Cooper S. This is one of the biggest car-buying mistakes I have ever made! It has only 40,000 miles on it and has already been towed 3 times, had carbon buildup in the engine, a new clutch and flywheel (beware this costs over $2000), a new timing chain, tensioner, rails, and gears, and the list goes on! I will never buy another mini and plan to get rid of this one as quickly as possible

Piece of junk!
By Carol Forte on 09/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The first year could be called the "honeymoon period". After that lookout! First of all the service dept is comprised of idiots. They will NOT listen to the customer and will look for any reason than the one the customer is complaining about to blame the issue on. My issue? Carbon deposits in the motor. Yes folks, this can happen to your "fun loving" MINI too - and probably will. 4 trips to MINI - 2 times with the engine light on and guess what? Carbon deposits aka "engine buildup". This issues starts to occur between 30- 40K. You will notice skipping in 1st gear, decreased performance, oddities, etc... and the run around from MINI. Good luck! I traded my little buggy of issues!

Better than expected
By a happy owner on 06/05/10 19:49 PM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

A fun car to drive; I was initially worried about its reliability, but after 12,000 miles, only problem I've had was the electrical control of the Windows (not closing completely when the close button was pressed once), which was fixed by the dealer at no cost promptly. I built and ordered it online, tailor-made for me, after 6 wks, the car was at the dealer as I designed. Cool! Overall, very happy; a great build quality (much better than I expected from a British make, but I guess German engineering is at work nowadays). Will buy it again

Mini, a great surprise
By AD MCMLX on 03/31/10 00:48 AM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I actually own a Cooper Clubman S which I transitioned to via MB C class Kompressor and BMW Z4. I had no high hopes for this car outside of that was built by BMW. 4 months later and 4k miles on it I absolutely adore this car. Granted this car is the most expensive and overpriced little car on the market but when you get a good deal you appreciate it that much more. This truly is a drivers car especially in SPORTs mode. LA to Vegas (300 mi) with barely over a half a tank (37.6 mpg) 75 mph @3k rpm. 476-500 miles to empty w/ some city driving. Cruises uphill Mount St Jacinto with 3 people in 4th gear to 8000 feet with ease. Rancho Mirage- Idyllwilde-Los Angeles 39.7 mpg.(140 mi)

To my fellow Road Warriors
By RoadWarrior on 03/23/10 14:18 PM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I love my 2009 MINI and it's a good thing I do because I spend most of my time in it. I am writing this review for people who are considering buying this car for frequent long trips. The car is a blast but I'm not sure I would purchase again because of all the long trips I take. In 14 months I have driven this car almost 60k mi. To be honest, the interior is not very comfortable. After driving about 2 hours on the hwy I start to get fidgety. Being in the passenger seat is almost unbearable after 1hr. Great gas mileage, but not really any pickup on the highway. I know I sound like I'm complaining. I really love my Mini but if you plan on driving as much as I do, you might want to reconsider.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.