Used 2009 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

These Cars Have Problems! Be Careful...
By candleman

2009 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Be sure to ask your local dealer just HOW MANY of these vehicles they have serviced for "carbon build up" problems. Problem starts usually just outside the 36K warranty, are anywhere from $500 - $1000 to fix, and will recur about every 40K miles or so. Evidently, if they are not driven "aggressively" (high RPM's), this is COMMON. Do the research, gang... [non-permissible content removed]

My ex-wife and I LOVE the looks, drive and just about everything about this car (except placement of the speedometer). However, given the carbon buildup problem/repair and the fact that it is expected to happen about every 40K miles given the conservative way that we drive, how could we ever recommend it?

Mini dealers KNOW about the "carbon buildup" problem... they see it all the time and charge big $$ to repair it. They do NOT fix the problem... only the symptom and know it will happen again and again. We are so disgusted with how they have treated us and don't understand why others have not posted here previously to warn us. I hope others benefit from this post, and strongly urge you to RESEARCH this before you buy a used one (at 34K miles 9 months ago) like we did.

Great, Fun-to-Drive Car
By engender

2009 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had some problems with carbon build up as mentioned in other reviews, but I have not had any other mechanical problems and I've never had to have my MINI towed. To prevent the carbon build up, I was told to use a gas additive every month and drive in a spirited manner every so often. With my MINI S, I often find myself driving in a spirited manner. The horsepower is great for merging onto an interstate or passing slower cars on single-lane roads. It's also great for weaving in and out of rush-hour traffic. The main drawback is the rough ride. I've hit potholes (and a ladder once) that have slammed my teeth together. However, the only damage done to the MINI was a broken headlight!

Handling, pickup, gas milage (I get an average of 28 mpg with my spirited rush-hour driving, with about 34 mpg on the interstate).

If a smoother ride would compromise the handling, I'm okay with a jaw-jar every few months.

Poor Reliability
By lorri636

2009 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have a 2009 Cooper S with automatic transmission. It's a fun car to drive, but goes in to have work done about every 6 months. It's had multiple problems with misfiring, carbon build up, timing belt replaced at 24,000 miles, electronic sensor issues. I'll probably keep it until the warranty is up and then trade it. Will never buy a Mini again.

do not buy
By mike1006

2009 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

do not buy, very unreliable. These cars have major issues. We are very disappointed in service from 800 mini and the car has issues. I would absolutely knowing what I know now never recommend this car to anyone. If an engine light comes on the only acceptable answer is to stop and be stranded. never ever get this car for young people or your wife. Until recent issues we loved it, but now after terrible experiences with dealer not ours but on road and mini themselves I would never buy. If you read this, this is not from an unreasonable person, but a father who does not want anyone else to go through what he has had to do 1200 miles away.

BUY OR CONSIDER BUT BEWARE
By chungking

2009 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my Mini Cooper S 2009 brand new. It was performing great for the first year but then as it got older although it was under mileage (12,700 miles) in 14 months of ownership, the engine experienced annoying pinging sound specially while on idling. Note* the engine is warm. I took it to the dealership and was told it's normal. The pinging sound became louder and it sounded like a diesel engine. I traded it in for a Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback AWD Turbo Lancer Ralliart.

BMW Mini need to realize that there is a problem with the engine. Reading the owner forums, there is definitely an engine concern specially with the S models.