2008 MINI Cooper Consumer Review: Mini now, Maxi$$$$ later. Hor

2008 MINI Cooper - Consumer Review

S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Manual)

Mini now, Maxi$$$$ later. Horrible resale value!
By wildmini on

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My 08 Cooper S (6 speed auto) ran at 226 Degrees. The Thermostat is computer controlled and works to keep the temperature HOT. In turn, this cokes up the oil in the Turbo models, and causes a lot of build up in the engine from carbon. I found my Turbo model had excellent fuel economy until you factor in the amount of High-Quality synthetic motor oil I had to constantly replace. People try to say their Mini doesn't use oil, just look at the exhaust pipe on any of them, they use plenty of oil. I sold mine at 77K after a series of replacements. Heat kills & every trip is a risk after you get significant mileage on these.

Favorite Features

I loved the way it drove, quick & responsive. I wouldn't let a young inexperienced driver have the keys to the Turbo model without some close supervision. Extremely quick on the take-off. Steering is immediate and over-steering is possible. The car drives like a Go-Kart and then some. Holds the road well at high speeds & you can stop & turn on a dime, so to say.

Suggested Improvements

Make them to where they don't lose so much of their value in such a short period of time. Run flat tires cause the suspension to send you straight to the Chiropractors in town. You'll need spinal decompression if you drive on roads with bumps or potholes. It's a noisy vehicle, and the Panoramic roofs all seem to leak air and make a lot of noise as you drive. I've been in several different ones and that seems to be typical except when brand new. I took off the 17" wheels & tires and put on oversize 16" wheels & tires and then could really enjoy the ride. Lost a little on the corners but then you don't need to turn that sharply anyway.