Used 2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Short Lived Love Affair
By Ohioman

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

O.K., it's cute, fit well in my garage and was truly "fun to drive", but the novelty for us was over for us in a big hurry. It is a very small car, and while likely the best in its class, we found it cramped, noisey, rattley and poor riding, especially on road trips. The run-flat tires are bricks, the premium stereo was fair at best, it was nearly impossible to get comfortable (no,we aren't big people), and I really didn't care for the valve rattle at start-up on cold days. I switched to a Camry SE V6 which is (yes) faster, more refined, has far nicer/more of "everything", and for about the same money. If you need to drive regularly, long distances or with others, don't buy a Cooper

Favorite Features

Looks, novelty, heated seats, DSC, big sunroof, BRG color and stripes, gen build quality and fun factor for quick around town trips.

Suggested Improvements

Premium stereo was a waste and very disappointing. Fix valve lash problem at cold start up. Some body rattles. Armrest was very poorly engineered. Order rear fogs initially if you really want them. Understand that the car is very small before you order it.

A MINI That Give You Alot!
By Little Red Rocket

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Have had my MINI for about 15 months. I'd have more miles on it but living in sunny AZ, I love riding my Bikes. This is one 'fun' car! Almost takes me back to when I owned a BMW 2002Tii. I had the JCW Performance Kit installed. Yes it really makes a difference! Not so much wth the JCW Brembo Brakes. Save yourself some money and stay with the OEM. Just about everyplace I park my MINI, people compliment it. My wife has an 06 Miata MX-5. Both cars have almost the same performance stats, but really feel different. The MX-5 is so smooth and natural. The MINI feels like every second it looks for a fight! What fun! Watch out for the options you order A $23K car cost over $40K easily Have fun!

Favorite Features

Uniqueness. I could order it any way I wanted. Nav-system and voice recognition are light years ahead of my Lexus. Very easy to use. Road feel and handling great! 0 mph to trouble in less than 6 seconds. Back has plenty of room for shopping. It has an 'identity' that other cars lack. ATTITUDE!!

Suggested Improvements

Try to smooth out the 'torque steer' on acceleration, but no big deal. More power never hurts although with the JCW Perf Package, it really 'rocks'. With the automatic, display what gear I'm in all of the time rather than just 'D'. It only tells you what geat your in when you shift to manumatic mode

Short lived love affair
By Family Guy

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I custom ordered my Cooper S manual last spring, and sold it after only 9 months of ownership. It was certainly fast (one speeding ticket), nimble and fun to drive, but even my 8 year old daughter complained that the rear seating was too small and that "she didn't feel safe". I regularly drive 2- 3 hour trips and found this car to be harsh riding, noisy and rattley. The small tires and wheels were simply no match for the rough roads around Ohio and Michigan. My full-sized buddies complained bitterly about no leg room when they rode with me, whether in the front or back seats. Buy it for the city and only if you don't have kids.

Favorite Features

Extreme power to size ratio, dual sunroof, very customizable, great styling, fit and finish.

Suggested Improvements

It is what it is. Realize it is small and drive a few before you buy. Don't just fall in love with the looks, power or trendiness. Engine can be noisy on cold start-up. They need to do a better job sorting out the items that can rattle.

awesome cooper s
By rnmini

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Love everything about this car. First it looks cool, so much fun to drive, can go up the hill soo much faster than other cars, still gets good gas mileage..I drive somewhat fast and like to accelerate and I have an automatic turbo charged..i push that sport button and this car will fly..still average 30miles per gallon, have the mini sound system...Fun, reliable, good mpg

Favorite Features

fun to drive, good mpg, design

A Total Blast!
By Val

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I was on my way to purchase the Acura RDX when the Mini Clubman caught my eye at the car show and I totally fell in love. I ended up getting the Mini Cooper since the Clubman wasn't out at the time and haven't regretted my decision for even a minute. I love it!

Favorite Features

Peppy, quick and very fun to drive. Love the mood lighting (purple is my favorite)

Suggested Improvements

Wish I had a built-in compass - which probably came with the navigation package (which I didn't get).