Used 2008 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2008 MINI Cooper

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

MINI Cooper-The best in it's class!
By warren

2008 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

So far, my MINI is winner. As all other reviewers have commented on-- it's a blast to drive! Test drove the other subcompacts and MINI stood out from the pack. Cornering and handling are outstanding with no body roll. Braking is very responsive and fuel economy is excellent averaging about 31mpg combined. Getting 44mpg+ on the Hwy with a light foot in 6th gear. Styling is one of a kind. Base Cooper still nicely equipped without a lot of added options. Interior fit and finish is impressive. Ride is a bit firm, but still in a fun kind of way, although this can get tiring on long drives I must admit. Watch the road dips as this car sits low to the ground.

Favorite Features

6-speed transmission, fuel economy, Sport mode, handling/cornering ability, iconic retro styling and major cool factor. Highly customizable.

Suggested Improvements

Improve bluetooth clarity due to road/engine noise, more trunk space, and improve base stereo system. How about adding BMW's dual-clutch gearbox to the Cooper S?

This is a fun but wacky little car!
By KarenZ

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Pros: handling fuel efficiency (my avg 30.4, I think) parking (mwah, ha ha!!!!!...that little space is mine all miiiiiine!) power/acceleration dash layout fit and finish reliability ipod-friendly ($12.00 male-male cord. Plugs right in...totally easy!) Cons: Very jerky acceleration Somewhat jerky braking The seat belt thing gets caught in the space where the door jamb is.I've tweaked my back/shoulder muscles a few times. Hate that! Awful cupholders. If you can get a soda cup out without crushing it, you are amazing and you should become a surgeon. Trunk locks when doors are locked. Even if you've already "popped" it. Annoying! Wind wiper controls stink. And only two intermittent speeds.

Favorite Features

Parking, parking, parking. Hee hee hee!

Suggested Improvements

Make the cupholders deep and looser.

More Fun than my 911's-Part II
By TPAMiniGuy

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

After 12000 plus miles the car is flawless..it gets better than sticker gas mileage..onboard computer displays your MPG in realtime and average...great feature...not a single problem ..average 36.5-39.5 ..it will get over 40 MPG if you drive it easy on the highway at 70...Sports car ride more firmly than a luxury car..It is incrediblely stable and safe at "highway plus" speeds...also has fantastic brakes..Tons of leg room..We plan to add a 2009 S Convertible so our 2008(yellow) will have a playmate...as soon as she decides on the color....If you're a car guy you'll love this car....If you not, you'll still love this car!

Favorite Features

Tight Sports car feel and ride...lighting acceleration and race car cornering..very stable and safe on the highway..Terrific MPG and troublefree. Able to customize all the display setting and controls...features for the entire car ...IPOD radio Cute but very sporty.

Suggested Improvements

A few more traditional gauges for water/oil temp/pressure.....

Short Lived Love Affair
By Ohioman

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

O.K., it's cute, fit well in my garage and was truly "fun to drive", but the novelty for us was over for us in a big hurry. It is a very small car, and while likely the best in its class, we found it cramped, noisey, rattley and poor riding, especially on road trips. The run-flat tires are bricks, the premium stereo was fair at best, it was nearly impossible to get comfortable (no,we aren't big people), and I really didn't care for the valve rattle at start-up on cold days. I switched to a Camry SE V6 which is (yes) faster, more refined, has far nicer/more of "everything", and for about the same money. If you need to drive regularly, long distances or with others, don't buy a Cooper

Favorite Features

Looks, novelty, heated seats, DSC, big sunroof, BRG color and stripes, gen build quality and fun factor for quick around town trips.

Suggested Improvements

Premium stereo was a waste and very disappointing. Fix valve lash problem at cold start up. Some body rattles. Armrest was very poorly engineered. Order rear fogs initially if you really want them. Understand that the car is very small before you order it.

A MINI That Give You Alot!
By Little Red Rocket

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Have had my MINI for about 15 months. I'd have more miles on it but living in sunny AZ, I love riding my Bikes. This is one 'fun' car! Almost takes me back to when I owned a BMW 2002Tii. I had the JCW Performance Kit installed. Yes it really makes a difference! Not so much wth the JCW Brembo Brakes. Save yourself some money and stay with the OEM. Just about everyplace I park my MINI, people compliment it. My wife has an 06 Miata MX-5. Both cars have almost the same performance stats, but really feel different. The MX-5 is so smooth and natural. The MINI feels like every second it looks for a fight! What fun! Watch out for the options you order A $23K car cost over $40K easily Have fun!

Favorite Features

Uniqueness. I could order it any way I wanted. Nav-system and voice recognition are light years ahead of my Lexus. Very easy to use. Road feel and handling great! 0 mph to trouble in less than 6 seconds. Back has plenty of room for shopping. It has an 'identity' that other cars lack. ATTITUDE!!

Suggested Improvements

Try to smooth out the 'torque steer' on acceleration, but no big deal. More power never hurts although with the JCW Perf Package, it really 'rocks'. With the automatic, display what gear I'm in all of the time rather than just 'D'. It only tells you what geat your in when you shift to manumatic mode