Used 2008 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

disappointed
By kmbkat

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought my Mini new in 2/08 and the fuel pump went out at 17000 miles. Although it was covered under warranty I can only guess what troubles lie ahead. I also had to replace one of the run flat tires to the tune of $249. The car is fun to drive and I have adequate space since I no longer have young kids to transport. But once I experience a major mechanical failure I start looking for a new car. I plan to buy a new Honda or Toyota in 2/10.

Beware of "Warranty"
By Unhappymotorer

2008 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my car brand new a year ago -- have loved it despite quirks with the windows (no fix for it yet...supposedly coming in late 2008). Drove it responsibly for 14,000 miles in the year to include a trip across country. Now the clutch is "burnt" and its not covered under the warranty. They are blaming me, which is ridiculous. I would be wary of buying one again.

It looks cute and was fun to drive...until now because I'm afraid to drive with the clutch issue.

The windows glitch needs to be fixed and I don't know what to say about the clutch issues -- maybe Mini could explain why a clutch would go out at 14,000 miles.

Cooper MINI Convertible
By No Fun

2008 MINI Cooper 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I am very disappointed with the engine & automatic transmission design. There is a very bad dead zone in the acceleration in 1st from a dead stop. The top squeals when coming up. The maintenance is free but when they don't fix anything it's worthless. The repair shop isn't familiar with the car and can't fix problems. I have had to go back 4 or 5 times before something gets fixed. They have even lied, actually fixed something and said on the repair sheet that there was nothing was wrong. I would not recommend anyone buy this Car with an automatic. The rear view is cluttered and very dangerous to back up. The automation in the controls is stupid, mostly unnecessary and very annoying

Handling is exceptional and fun. I like the convertible.

Standarize the components of the driver controls. improve the rear view. teach the mechanics how to fix the problems with the car. don't lie to your customers. Improve the design of the engine automatic transmission assembly simplify the control design to automated.

Too much maintenance, too much time
By MAM

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

It's a fun car to drive, great gas mileage, cute etc, but very expensive for repairs. In one year, I've spent $2500 out of pocket on a car I bought brand new from the dealer, in addition to the gas to get to the dealership (100 miles roundtrip in DC traffic) and taking time off work (they close at 7pm).

driving it and gas mileage

Better service: I brought my car to the dealer, and left it there for two weeks for repairs. One day after picking up the car, the oil light goes on and I have to drive it back, 100 miles round trip, to have that fixed -- that's 200 miles in one week, in DC traffic.

Mini cooper S
By ccs8c

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My clutch went out at 14,000 miles, windows finicky (don't work all the time). Re the clutch: no explanation other than its my fault from Mini of North American and the dealer; I had to pay for the replacement less than a year after purchasing it. My previous clutches didn't burn out until 60,000-75,000 miles, so I don't understand this, but I won't buy another mini and will sell this one within the year.

Clutch, windows