2008 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
No more sidewalk model
By marcia low on 08/10/09 07:26 AM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I love my British racing green convertible. The sidewalk package has all the bells and whistles esp the gorgeous brown leather interior. Now they won't make it any more. I am disappointed I wanted a new one only because I think the rear window visibility would be much improved with the retractable roll bars.

One year in my Cooper
By Turbo S on 07/25/09 16:27 PM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Had the car for little over a year now. It is an absolute BLAST to drive, and will always put a smile on your face. Fuel economy is phenomenal for a car this fast as well. Lots of cool features, like the folding mirrors, that are more fun the show of than functional, but fun either way. The pushbutton start is cool, but I wish it had the comfort access system. The leatherette looks nice, but I don't like the way it feels. All in all, for $25,550 and the included maintainance, its a lot of fun for the money.

Wild Maus (mouse)
By JimH on 06/29/09 09:15 AM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

This is my second burgundy Mini. My first was a 1967 that I brought back from Europe. Both cars were/are go- carts. The '67 cornered better, but was underpowered. The '08 has the power but it overpowers the steering. No complaints, mine you! Lord, what a fun car to drive. By the way, the title refers to a carnival ride, "The Wild Maus." It would snap your head off your shoulders, if you weren't careful. Read the complaints: Bumpy ride: It is a sports car - dodge them. Limited space: drop the back seats and think again. Odd radio controls: It has a radio? - who knew! I love to hear it purr!

45,000 and still going!
By Sean Michael on 06/21/09 17:07 PM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

OMFG THIS THING IS A BLAST!!! From the very get go I fell in love with a car my wife had suggested when I thought of getting a bug... I'm glad I went with the Mini. First of all I commute 184 Miles a day up and down from the mountains. Phx to Payson AZ of an elevation change of over 5000 ft. I needed something reliable and could handle the road and elements. This little car has sold me for LIFE! I love the Tech with the Sports handling. If you're thinking of buying your wasting precious time you could be driving. =)

MINI Cooper-The best in it's class!
By warren on 06/13/09 23:26 PM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

So far, my MINI is winner. As all other reviewers have commented on-- it's a blast to drive! Test drove the other subcompacts and MINI stood out from the pack. Cornering and handling are outstanding with no body roll. Braking is very responsive and fuel economy is excellent averaging about 31mpg combined. Getting 44mpg+ on the Hwy with a light foot in 6th gear. Styling is one of a kind. Base Cooper still nicely equipped without a lot of added options. Interior fit and finish is impressive. Ride is a bit firm, but still in a fun kind of way, although this can get tiring on long drives I must admit. Watch the road dips as this car sits low to the ground.

This is a fun but wacky little car!
By KarenZ on 06/04/09 22:21 PM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Pros: handling fuel efficiency (my avg 30.4, I think) parking (mwah, ha ha!!!!!...that little space is mine all miiiiiine!) power/acceleration dash layout fit and finish reliability ipod-friendly ($12.00 male-male cord. Plugs right in...totally easy!) Cons: Very jerky acceleration Somewhat jerky braking The seat belt thing gets caught in the space where the door jamb is.I've tweaked my back/shoulder muscles a few times. Hate that! Awful cupholders. If you can get a soda cup out without crushing it, you are amazing and you should become a surgeon. Trunk locks when doors are locked. Even if you've already "popped" it. Annoying! Wind wiper controls stink. And only two intermittent speeds.

More Fun than my 911's-Part II
By TPAMiniGuy on 05/04/09 10:35 AM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

After 12000 plus miles the car is flawless..it gets better than sticker gas mileage..onboard computer displays your MPG in realtime and average...great feature...not a single problem ..average 36.5-39.5 ..it will get over 40 MPG if you drive it easy on the highway at 70...Sports car ride more firmly than a luxury car..It is incrediblely stable and safe at "highway plus" speeds...also has fantastic brakes..Tons of leg room..We plan to add a 2009 S Convertible so our 2008(yellow) will have a playmate...as soon as she decides on the color....If you're a car guy you'll love this car....If you not, you'll still love this car!

Short Lived Love Affair
By Ohioman on 05/02/09 04:08 AM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

O.K., it's cute, fit well in my garage and was truly "fun to drive", but the novelty for us was over for us in a big hurry. It is a very small car, and while likely the best in its class, we found it cramped, noisey, rattley and poor riding, especially on road trips. The run-flat tires are bricks, the premium stereo was fair at best, it was nearly impossible to get comfortable (no,we aren't big people), and I really didn't care for the valve rattle at start-up on cold days. I switched to a Camry SE V6 which is (yes) faster, more refined, has far nicer/more of "everything", and for about the same money. If you need to drive regularly, long distances or with others, don't buy a Cooper

A MINI That Give You Alot!
By Little Red Rocket on 04/24/09 22:39 PM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Have had my MINI for about 15 months. I'd have more miles on it but living in sunny AZ, I love riding my Bikes. This is one 'fun' car! Almost takes me back to when I owned a BMW 2002Tii. I had the JCW Performance Kit installed. Yes it really makes a difference! Not so much wth the JCW Brembo Brakes. Save yourself some money and stay with the OEM. Just about everyplace I park my MINI, people compliment it. My wife has an 06 Miata MX-5. Both cars have almost the same performance stats, but really feel different. The MX-5 is so smooth and natural. The MINI feels like every second it looks for a fight! What fun! Watch out for the options you order A $23K car cost over $40K easily Have fun!

Short lived love affair
By Family Guy on 04/20/09 05:47 AM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I custom ordered my Cooper S manual last spring, and sold it after only 9 months of ownership. It was certainly fast (one speeding ticket), nimble and fun to drive, but even my 8 year old daughter complained that the rear seating was too small and that "she didn't feel safe". I regularly drive 2- 3 hour trips and found this car to be harsh riding, noisy and rattley. The small tires and wheels were simply no match for the rough roads around Ohio and Michigan. My full-sized buddies complained bitterly about no leg room when they rode with me, whether in the front or back seats. Buy it for the city and only if you don't have kids.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.