Used 2008 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews - 67 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2008 MINI Cooper

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Great Car
By mini coop

2008 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Has been virtually trouble free and I have 48,000 miles on the car in two years. I am 6'5" tall and it is very comfortable..tons of room. My 6'6" son can sit in the back seat behind my wife on the passenger side. We can fit 5-6 bags of grocery even with four in the car. It accelerates very well with 4 in the car even up hills. Ride is firm but has no rattles. The six speed manual is smooth and the engine improves with mileage. I like it better now than when I got it...smoother and quicker. Still gets tons of looks and comments. People pull up asking me roll down my window to say the car is great. Nothing performs as well for the money and 40+ MPG. Great in snow and cold. Strong heater.

Handling, engine, fold down rear seats, hatch, large interior room,trip computer and info available, large amount of options and accessories and nationwide networking base with other owners for incredible mount of ownership information.

More dealers, easier radio controls, better window controls and reliability, better stock radio and speakers, why not more horsepower in base model?

This car is garbage
By Mike

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my 2008 Mini brand new as I wanted a fun car to drive. I have been to the dealer for fixing things so often I am now on a first name basis with them. It's no one big thing, but a bunch of little things. Windows don't work properly, engine indication lights come on randomly, I needed a new valve cover gasket at 28,000 km and since getting the car back from the dealer, it sounds like a diesel. I tried to get it back in right away, but was told that I have to wait three weeks, likely causing further damage. I don't care if the repairs are fixed under warranty. It's the hassle of taking time from my day and having to continuously take the car in that is driving me nuts.

Unreliable go-kart
By Alex

2008 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

DO NOT BUY A MINI!!! I was excited to pick up my Mini a couple of years ago; it had go-kart handling and almost 40mpg. However shortly after I picked up the car the problems started; engine overheating, windows not rolling up, various engine lights coming on, etc... Each time the dealer would help me resolve the issue, but as this wasn't scheduled maintenance, I had to arrange alternative transportation. In addition we live about an hour from the dealer so it was two hours of driving with my wife following me. This wouldn't have been such a big deal if it wasn't in the shop at least once a month. Moritz would not work with me, and I finally sold the car for a much more reliable Nissan.

35 - 37 mpg

Reliability, reliability, reliability.

My MINI Cooper S nightmare
By tdi owner now

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I thought when I bought my MINI Cooper S 2008, I was buying my dream car. I was proven wrong as soon as winter in New England came around. First morning below 0 it left me stranded on the side of the road for 4hours (until Roadside could get me). At that point, it was in shop x 3 weeks, they needed to get a modified "snorkle" part for the manifold. There was water in there. I thought doesn't it get cold in Europe..well yeh! The car come May and June wasn't any better. The car was at the dealer on ave. 1x every 6-8 weeks with less than 20000mi. I lost a ton of money when I traded in my completely unreliable MINI contrary to what the dealer says it does lose value!

6 gears, it was fun to blow through them while flying

design a car that can start in New England winters and handle Ethanol fuel

Not quite sure how I feel
By Not quite sure

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my MiniS because I wanted better gas mileage, but so far I've had 3 flats and one shattered windshild from a stone on the fwy so it hasn't been all that economical. Also, the dealer added $3000 to the MSR b/c "they are so much in demand." Well, now they're not in demand and I paid quite a bit more than I should have. Also, I'm a little afraid to take it on long trips b/c I always seem to come back needing a new tire. Yeah, I do get lots of compliments like "You're car looks like it's smiling at you!" Or, "you've got a cutie!" That's nice, but I'm seriously thinking of trading it for a RAV 4-- more room, better tires, more comfortable on long trips.

LUV the blue tooth, mileage, it's pretty zippy

Change to regular tires, regular fuel