2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
Not quite sure how I feel
By Not quite sure on 12/24/09 20:36 PM (PST)

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my MiniS because I wanted better gas mileage, but so far I've had 3 flats and one shattered windshild from a stone on the fwy so it hasn't been all that economical. Also, the dealer added $3000 to the MSR b/c "they are so much in demand." Well, now they're not in demand and I paid quite a bit more than I should have. Also, I'm a little afraid to take it on long trips b/c I always seem to come back needing a new tire. Yeah, I do get lots of compliments like "You're car looks like it's smiling at you!" Or, "you've got a cutie!" That's nice, but I'm seriously thinking of trading it for a RAV 4-- more room, better tires, more comfortable on long trips.

2008 Mini Cooper S
By ckranert on 11/13/09 09:18 AM (PST)

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought the car in May of 2008 and already have over 30k miles, so it is a great car to travel in. I am able to get my wife, son, golf clubs, and everything else that comes with having a toddler in the car with no problems. People complaining about space don't know how to use what they have! Got it for the gas milage first and performance second, it hasn't disappointed in either. My main concern is the constant rattling from the passenger side and the dealership's refusal to fix it. Aside from that it is a great car.

MINI Review
By EastCoastGirl on 11/02/09 14:31 PM (PST)

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had my 2008 MINI Cooper S for a year and half with zero issues. I have only had to have one part replaced on my coop - the recalled exhaust. (The tail-pipes were too long and were a burn hazard for the legs.) I love love LOVE to drive MINI's and can't imagine owning any other car. They handle well, have pep and are cute to boot!

disappointed
By kmbkat on 10/17/09 12:03 PM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought my Mini new in 2/08 and the fuel pump went out at 17000 miles. Although it was covered under warranty I can only guess what troubles lie ahead. I also had to replace one of the run flat tires to the tune of $249. The car is fun to drive and I have adequate space since I no longer have young kids to transport. But once I experience a major mechanical failure I start looking for a new car. I plan to buy a new Honda or Toyota in 2/10.

Beware of "Warranty"
By Unhappymotorer on 08/18/09 07:01 AM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my car brand new a year ago -- have loved it despite quirks with the windows (no fix for it yet...supposedly coming in late 2008). Drove it responsibly for 14,000 miles in the year to include a trip across country. Now the clutch is "burnt" and its not covered under the warranty. They are blaming me, which is ridiculous. I would be wary of buying one again.

Too much maintenance, too much time
By MAM on 08/13/09 09:25 AM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

It's a fun car to drive, great gas mileage, cute etc, but very expensive for repairs. In one year, I've spent $2500 out of pocket on a car I bought brand new from the dealer, in addition to the gas to get to the dealership (100 miles roundtrip in DC traffic) and taking time off work (they close at 7pm).

Mini cooper S
By ccs8c on 08/13/09 08:08 AM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My clutch went out at 14,000 miles, windows finicky (don't work all the time). Re the clutch: no explanation other than its my fault from Mini of North American and the dealer; I had to pay for the replacement less than a year after purchasing it. My previous clutches didn't burn out until 60,000-75,000 miles, so I don't understand this, but I won't buy another mini and will sell this one within the year.

Another Clutch failure
By Disappointed_in Mini on 08/11/09 15:57 PM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my second mini. The clutch went out in the first one after 2 1/ years years and only 22000 miles. The cause was determined to be a manufacture defect and was covered. My 2008 Mini S has only 10727 miles and is a standard transmission too. The clutch began slipping on this one. It is currently at the dealer and I am waiting to hear if the repairs are covered. I do not ride the clutch and do not drive aggressively or even need to shift that often (not a lot of stop and go traffic). I have read many posts on other sites about mini's and clutch problems. Buyer be ware!!!

One year in my Cooper
By Turbo S on 07/25/09 16:27 PM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Had the car for little over a year now. It is an absolute BLAST to drive, and will always put a smile on your face. Fuel economy is phenomenal for a car this fast as well. Lots of cool features, like the folding mirrors, that are more fun the show of than functional, but fun either way. The pushbutton start is cool, but I wish it had the comfort access system. The leatherette looks nice, but I don't like the way it feels. All in all, for $25,550 and the included maintainance, its a lot of fun for the money.

Wild Maus (mouse)
By JimH on 06/29/09 09:15 AM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

This is my second burgundy Mini. My first was a 1967 that I brought back from Europe. Both cars were/are go- carts. The '67 cornered better, but was underpowered. The '08 has the power but it overpowers the steering. No complaints, mine you! Lord, what a fun car to drive. By the way, the title refers to a carnival ride, "The Wild Maus." It would snap your head off your shoulders, if you weren't careful. Read the complaints: Bumpy ride: It is a sports car - dodge them. Limited space: drop the back seats and think again. Odd radio controls: It has a radio? - who knew! I love to hear it purr!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.