Used 2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Fun to Drive, lots of limitations
By jasonbum

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car used and I am perhaps the wrong demographic to own such a car. If it wasn't so fun to drive, I would hate it- if that makes any sense at all! Noisy on highway, base engine strains when pushed. Automatic trans is clunky on downshifts and has trouble making decisions. This car had some type of solenoid problem before I bought it and found that out later. Very finicky about fuel- Mini will almost spit out anything less than 93 octane. Carbon buildup problems exist and on such a tightly built engine, that becomes worrisome. The Mini, for me, is like someone that you just date but wouldn't marry.

Handling, Visibility, Easy parking

Base engine needs more power, Auto trans needs to be smoother and more decisive, Sunroof sticks when hot, needs more effective sunshade,

Go GO Cart GO!
By MINI S POCKET ROCKET

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is a blast to drive, there is no other way to describe this little Pocket Rocket!! Fast tight steering, just out and out fun to drive. I Have had many types of cars in my life over the years from Jags and Vettes to Mercedes and the like. The most fun car to drive ever. The radio is kind of lacking how ever should have bought the Better radio option!

Love the Car period!

Radio.

Great Car
By mini coop

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Has been virtually trouble free and I have 48,000 miles on the car in two years. I am 6'5" tall and it is very comfortable..tons of room. My 6'6" son can sit in the back seat behind my wife on the passenger side. We can fit 5-6 bags of grocery even with four in the car. It accelerates very well with 4 in the car even up hills. Ride is firm but has no rattles. The six speed manual is smooth and the engine improves with mileage. I like it better now than when I got it...smoother and quicker. Still gets tons of looks and comments. People pull up asking me roll down my window to say the car is great. Nothing performs as well for the money and 40+ MPG. Great in snow and cold. Strong heater.

Handling, engine, fold down rear seats, hatch, large interior room,trip computer and info available, large amount of options and accessories and nationwide networking base with other owners for incredible mount of ownership information.

More dealers, easier radio controls, better window controls and reliability, better stock radio and speakers, why not more horsepower in base model?

This car is garbage
By Mike

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my 2008 Mini brand new as I wanted a fun car to drive. I have been to the dealer for fixing things so often I am now on a first name basis with them. It's no one big thing, but a bunch of little things. Windows don't work properly, engine indication lights come on randomly, I needed a new valve cover gasket at 28,000 km and since getting the car back from the dealer, it sounds like a diesel. I tried to get it back in right away, but was told that I have to wait three weeks, likely causing further damage. I don't care if the repairs are fixed under warranty. It's the hassle of taking time from my day and having to continuously take the car in that is driving me nuts.

Unreliable go-kart
By Alex

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

DO NOT BUY A MINI!!! I was excited to pick up my Mini a couple of years ago; it had go-kart handling and almost 40mpg. However shortly after I picked up the car the problems started; engine overheating, windows not rolling up, various engine lights coming on, etc... Each time the dealer would help me resolve the issue, but as this wasn't scheduled maintenance, I had to arrange alternative transportation. In addition we live about an hour from the dealer so it was two hours of driving with my wife following me. This wouldn't have been such a big deal if it wasn't in the shop at least once a month. Moritz would not work with me, and I finally sold the car for a much more reliable Nissan.

35 - 37 mpg