2008 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
Beware of water for Mini Convertible
By NotSoGreat on 12/11/09 04:47 AM (PST)

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

To those of you considering buying the Mini Convertible. There is a design issue where water pours into the Mini on the driver's side when you open the door or window when it is, or has been, raining. I thought mine had a problem, only to find out after three visits that it's just the design that is an issue and thus can't be fixed. It's been fun driving it, but the water issue is a deal killer for me so I will be selling my Mini.

2008 Mini Cooper S
By ckranert on 11/13/09 09:18 AM (PST)

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought the car in May of 2008 and already have over 30k miles, so it is a great car to travel in. I am able to get my wife, son, golf clubs, and everything else that comes with having a toddler in the car with no problems. People complaining about space don't know how to use what they have! Got it for the gas milage first and performance second, it hasn't disappointed in either. My main concern is the constant rattling from the passenger side and the dealership's refusal to fix it. Aside from that it is a great car.

MINI Review
By EastCoastGirl on 11/02/09 14:31 PM (PST)

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had my 2008 MINI Cooper S for a year and half with zero issues. I have only had to have one part replaced on my coop - the recalled exhaust. (The tail-pipes were too long and were a burn hazard for the legs.) I love love LOVE to drive MINI's and can't imagine owning any other car. They handle well, have pep and are cute to boot!

disappointed
By kmbkat on 10/17/09 12:03 PM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought my Mini new in 2/08 and the fuel pump went out at 17000 miles. Although it was covered under warranty I can only guess what troubles lie ahead. I also had to replace one of the run flat tires to the tune of $249. The car is fun to drive and I have adequate space since I no longer have young kids to transport. But once I experience a major mechanical failure I start looking for a new car. I plan to buy a new Honda or Toyota in 2/10.

Beware of "Warranty"
By Unhappymotorer on 08/18/09 07:01 AM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my car brand new a year ago -- have loved it despite quirks with the windows (no fix for it yet...supposedly coming in late 2008). Drove it responsibly for 14,000 miles in the year to include a trip across country. Now the clutch is "burnt" and its not covered under the warranty. They are blaming me, which is ridiculous. I would be wary of buying one again.

Cooper MINI Convertible
By No Fun on 08/14/09 09:33 AM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I am very disappointed with the engine & automatic transmission design. There is a very bad dead zone in the acceleration in 1st from a dead stop. The top squeals when coming up. The maintenance is free but when they don't fix anything it's worthless. The repair shop isn't familiar with the car and can't fix problems. I have had to go back 4 or 5 times before something gets fixed. They have even lied, actually fixed something and said on the repair sheet that there was nothing was wrong. I would not recommend anyone buy this Car with an automatic. The rear view is cluttered and very dangerous to back up. The automation in the controls is stupid, mostly unnecessary and very annoying

Too much maintenance, too much time
By MAM on 08/13/09 09:25 AM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

It's a fun car to drive, great gas mileage, cute etc, but very expensive for repairs. In one year, I've spent $2500 out of pocket on a car I bought brand new from the dealer, in addition to the gas to get to the dealership (100 miles roundtrip in DC traffic) and taking time off work (they close at 7pm).

Mini cooper S
By ccs8c on 08/13/09 08:08 AM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My clutch went out at 14,000 miles, windows finicky (don't work all the time). Re the clutch: no explanation other than its my fault from Mini of North American and the dealer; I had to pay for the replacement less than a year after purchasing it. My previous clutches didn't burn out until 60,000-75,000 miles, so I don't understand this, but I won't buy another mini and will sell this one within the year.

Another Clutch failure
By Disappointed_in Mini on 08/11/09 15:57 PM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my second mini. The clutch went out in the first one after 2 1/ years years and only 22000 miles. The cause was determined to be a manufacture defect and was covered. My 2008 Mini S has only 10727 miles and is a standard transmission too. The clutch began slipping on this one. It is currently at the dealer and I am waiting to hear if the repairs are covered. I do not ride the clutch and do not drive aggressively or even need to shift that often (not a lot of stop and go traffic). I have read many posts on other sites about mini's and clutch problems. Buyer be ware!!!

No more sidewalk model
By marcia low on 08/10/09 07:26 AM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I love my British racing green convertible. The sidewalk package has all the bells and whistles esp the gorgeous brown leather interior. Now they won't make it any more. I am disappointed I wanted a new one only because I think the rear window visibility would be much improved with the retractable roll bars.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 MINI Cooper in NJ is:

$201 per month*