2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
Too many problems, excessive oil consumption
By bill_jones on 06/14/14 14:44 PM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I owned a 2008 Mini Cooper S, until recently when I traded it in with 75,000 miles. I bought it new and it was a fun car to drive. It had lots of leg room for my 6' 4" body, but in terms of maintainability it was the worst car that I have ever owned. After 36,000 miles, I was continually plagued with either a "CHECK ENGINE" or "SERVICE" light and as a result I was forced to bring it to the dealer/car repair shop to get it analyzed. Furthermore, it had "run flat" tires...a terrible experience! To summarize my MINI experience: after 50,000 miles it turned into a lemon. To the future owner...stock up on SYN 5W-30 motor oil...you're going to need it!

Great Car - but here's what you need to know
By watermelon4 on 01/20/14 10:30 AM (PST)

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car but the S models tires & susp R harsh except on smooth roads. When time to replace them, buy softer tires & the car will b so much more enjoyable. U feel every bump w/OEM tires. Recall for timing belt tensioner & they replaced w/main crank seal, no charge. Paid $60 for new timing belt. No chatter anymore like it did on really cold starts. The auto trans is a worry. Seems to not know what gear it wants when U slow & then accelerate-bucks like a horse - I expect it will fail one day but so far at 55k, ok. The computer tells you 2 have service at like 40k & dealer charges $200 just to check the vehicle over, no maintenance -I wouldn't recommend it if you can find someone else 2 check

Mini now, Maxi$$$$ later. Horrible resale value!
By wildmini on 08/27/13 18:13 PM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My 08 Cooper S (6 speed auto) ran at 226 Degrees. The Thermostat is computer controlled and works to keep the temperature HOT. In turn, this cokes up the oil in the Turbo models, and causes a lot of build up in the engine from carbon. I found my Turbo model had excellent fuel economy until you factor in the amount of High-Quality synthetic motor oil I had to constantly replace. People try to say their Mini doesn't use oil, just look at the exhaust pipe on any of them, they use plenty of oil. I sold mine at 77K after a series of replacements. Heat kills & every trip is a risk after you get significant mileage on these.

Did I buy the right car
By kongsi on 05/13/13 09:25 AM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Well I was looking for a bigger car , but saw this MINI at BMW of Dallas and fell in love with it. I was surprised , how good the service was when I bought it , this Ali really went out of his way to help me choose the right car.Then usually I feel the car gets lesser as the time of purchase goes by , but they upgraded the car to certificated the car and replaced things that were getting worn , like the run flat tires. The car is a blast to drive ,the only thing I´m not sure of how hard the ride is and how loud the road noise is. It can wear me out . The price is a little high ,because some things are so much plastic , but there are allot of features on it .

Fun to Drive, lots of limitations
By jasonbum on 08/15/12 18:34 PM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car used and I am perhaps the wrong demographic to own such a car. If it wasn't so fun to drive, I would hate it- if that makes any sense at all! Noisy on highway, base engine strains when pushed. Automatic trans is clunky on downshifts and has trouble making decisions. This car had some type of solenoid problem before I bought it and found that out later. Very finicky about fuel- Mini will almost spit out anything less than 93 octane. Carbon buildup problems exist and on such a tightly built engine, that becomes worrisome. The Mini, for me, is like someone that you just date but wouldn't marry.

Go GO Cart GO!
By MINI S POCKET ROCKET on 11/12/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is a blast to drive, there is no other way to describe this little Pocket Rocket!! Fast tight steering, just out and out fun to drive. I Have had many types of cars in my life over the years from Jags and Vettes to Mercedes and the like. The most fun car to drive ever. The radio is kind of lacking how ever should have bought the Better radio option!

Great Car
By mini coop on 09/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Has been virtually trouble free and I have 48,000 miles on the car in two years. I am 6'5" tall and it is very comfortable..tons of room. My 6'6" son can sit in the back seat behind my wife on the passenger side. We can fit 5-6 bags of grocery even with four in the car. It accelerates very well with 4 in the car even up hills. Ride is firm but has no rattles. The six speed manual is smooth and the engine improves with mileage. I like it better now than when I got it...smoother and quicker. Still gets tons of looks and comments. People pull up asking me roll down my window to say the car is great. Nothing performs as well for the money and 40+ MPG. Great in snow and cold. Strong heater.

This car is garbage
By Mike on 07/17/10 13:48 PM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my 2008 Mini brand new as I wanted a fun car to drive. I have been to the dealer for fixing things so often I am now on a first name basis with them. It's no one big thing, but a bunch of little things. Windows don't work properly, engine indication lights come on randomly, I needed a new valve cover gasket at 28,000 km and since getting the car back from the dealer, it sounds like a diesel. I tried to get it back in right away, but was told that I have to wait three weeks, likely causing further damage. I don't care if the repairs are fixed under warranty. It's the hassle of taking time from my day and having to continuously take the car in that is driving me nuts.

Unreliable go-kart
By Alex on 01/29/10 09:21 AM (PST)

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

DO NOT BUY A MINI!!! I was excited to pick up my Mini a couple of years ago; it had go-kart handling and almost 40mpg. However shortly after I picked up the car the problems started; engine overheating, windows not rolling up, various engine lights coming on, etc... Each time the dealer would help me resolve the issue, but as this wasn't scheduled maintenance, I had to arrange alternative transportation. In addition we live about an hour from the dealer so it was two hours of driving with my wife following me. This wouldn't have been such a big deal if it wasn't in the shop at least once a month. Moritz would not work with me, and I finally sold the car for a much more reliable Nissan.

My MINI Cooper S nightmare
By tdi owner now on 01/10/10 12:50 PM (PST)

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I thought when I bought my MINI Cooper S 2008, I was buying my dream car. I was proven wrong as soon as winter in New England came around. First morning below 0 it left me stranded on the side of the road for 4hours (until Roadside could get me). At that point, it was in shop x 3 weeks, they needed to get a modified "snorkle" part for the manifold. There was water in there. I thought doesn't it get cold in Europe..well yeh! The car come May and June wasn't any better. The car was at the dealer on ave. 1x every 6-8 weeks with less than 20000mi. I lost a ton of money when I traded in my completely unreliable MINI contrary to what the dealer says it does lose value!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.