Used 2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Fun to drive comes with a Price!
By theminicooper

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased this car brand new! My dream car back then! Today, I am regretting it. Now at 100 000 miles, I already had a few major issues. Twice I had a coolant leak! Which cost near the 1000$ mark to get repaired. Now I have an engine had gasket leak. This car leaks from everywhere basically. Very expensive car to own! You need a special tool to remove sparkplugs! I also had electrical problems! Driving along and all of a sudden, Windows goes down and doesn't want to come back up, Headlights flashing like a police car.. car alarm going off as I unlock car... Very fun to drive!! Looooooove the driving experience but problems are becoming "unforgivable". Would NOT recommend!!

Favorite Features

-Window opening from keyless entry fob -Sunroof -handling -overall look

Suggested Improvements

Reliability!!!!! I talked to the guy who purchased the (2004)Toyota Corolla I had before this Mini and he was up to 180 000miles and had No issues at all except basic oil changes... Which also, an Oil change on a Mini, is very expensive and cannot be done anywhere (Full synthetic + unique oil filter)

Too many problems, excessive oil consumption
By bill_jones

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I owned a 2008 Mini Cooper S, until recently when I traded it in with 75,000 miles. I bought it new and it was a fun car to drive. It had lots of leg room for my 6' 4" body, but in terms of maintainability it was the worst car that I have ever owned. After 36,000 miles, I was continually plagued with either a "CHECK ENGINE" or "SERVICE" light and as a result I was forced to bring it to the dealer/car repair shop to get it analyzed. Furthermore, it had "run flat" tires...a terrible experience! To summarize my MINI experience: after 50,000 miles it turned into a lemon. To the future owner...stock up on SYN 5W-30 motor oil...you're going to need it!

Great Car - but here's what you need to know
By watermelon4

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car but the S models tires & susp R harsh except on smooth roads. When time to replace them, buy softer tires & the car will b so much more enjoyable. U feel every bump w/OEM tires. Recall for timing belt tensioner & they replaced w/main crank seal, no charge. Paid $60 for new timing belt. No chatter anymore like it did on really cold starts. The auto trans is a worry. Seems to not know what gear it wants when U slow & then accelerate-bucks like a horse - I expect it will fail one day but so far at 55k, ok. The computer tells you 2 have service at like 40k & dealer charges $200 just to check the vehicle over, no maintenance -I wouldn't recommend it if you can find someone else 2 check

Favorite Features

Great looking car and drives great especially with the softer replacement tires. If you live in Florida where the roads have no expansion joints, then you will probably be ok with the OEM tires. Great design interior and exterior but not 100% sure if the big speedometer in the middle is that great of an idea for function. Lots of room in the front seats and head room, so taller people can actually use this little car. Better legroom than my old Cadillac but person in back seat has to be a kid. Gas mileage is decent at about 30 mpg with mixed use, but mainly highway.

Suggested Improvements

Softer tires for sure. Also, the dealer will offer to replace your W/S wipers at about the 24 month mark & will ask around $80 to do it. Buy them yourself at Walmart for $15. Mini should provide a manual on how to get into the computer module and reset items for those who want that ability, but a lot of that stuff is on line on videos on Youtube. Windshield will collect very small rock chips through the years, maybe get some sort of wind deflector? Apparently Mini will charge $300 to replace the battery. I replaced it for $99 after watching some videos on Youtube. Seems like Mini is trying to make the maintenance non-owner friendly purposefully $.

Mini now, Maxi$$$$ later. Horrible resale value!
By wildmini

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My 08 Cooper S (6 speed auto) ran at 226 Degrees. The Thermostat is computer controlled and works to keep the temperature HOT. In turn, this cokes up the oil in the Turbo models, and causes a lot of build up in the engine from carbon. I found my Turbo model had excellent fuel economy until you factor in the amount of High-Quality synthetic motor oil I had to constantly replace. People try to say their Mini doesn't use oil, just look at the exhaust pipe on any of them, they use plenty of oil. I sold mine at 77K after a series of replacements. Heat kills & every trip is a risk after you get significant mileage on these.

Favorite Features

I loved the way it drove, quick & responsive. I wouldn't let a young inexperienced driver have the keys to the Turbo model without some close supervision. Extremely quick on the take-off. Steering is immediate and over-steering is possible. The car drives like a Go-Kart and then some. Holds the road well at high speeds & you can stop & turn on a dime, so to say.

Suggested Improvements

Make them to where they don't lose so much of their value in such a short period of time. Run flat tires cause the suspension to send you straight to the Chiropractors in town. You'll need spinal decompression if you drive on roads with bumps or potholes. It's a noisy vehicle, and the Panoramic roofs all seem to leak air and make a lot of noise as you drive. I've been in several different ones and that seems to be typical except when brand new. I took off the 17" wheels & tires and put on oversize 16" wheels & tires and then could really enjoy the ride. Lost a little on the corners but then you don't need to turn that sharply anyway.

Did I buy the right car
By kongsi

2008 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Well I was looking for a bigger car , but saw this MINI at BMW of Dallas and fell in love with it. I was surprised , how good the service was when I bought it , this Ali really went out of his way to help me choose the right car.Then usually I feel the car gets lesser as the time of purchase goes by , but they upgraded the car to certificated the car and replaced things that were getting worn , like the run flat tires. The car is a blast to drive ,the only thing I´m not sure of how hard the ride is and how loud the road noise is. It can wear me out . The price is a little high ,because some things are so much plastic , but there are allot of features on it .