2008 MINI Cooper Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
Beware of water for Mini Convertible
By NotSoGreat on 12/11/09 04:47 AM (PST)

2008 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

To those of you considering buying the Mini Convertible. There is a design issue where water pours into the Mini on the driver's side when you open the door or window when it is, or has been, raining. I thought mine had a problem, only to find out after three visits that it's just the design that is an issue and thus can't be fixed. It's been fun driving it, but the water issue is a deal killer for me so I will be selling my Mini.

Cooper MINI Convertible
By No Fun on 08/14/09 09:33 AM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I am very disappointed with the engine & automatic transmission design. There is a very bad dead zone in the acceleration in 1st from a dead stop. The top squeals when coming up. The maintenance is free but when they don't fix anything it's worthless. The repair shop isn't familiar with the car and can't fix problems. I have had to go back 4 or 5 times before something gets fixed. They have even lied, actually fixed something and said on the repair sheet that there was nothing was wrong. I would not recommend anyone buy this Car with an automatic. The rear view is cluttered and very dangerous to back up. The automation in the controls is stupid, mostly unnecessary and very annoying

No more sidewalk model
By marcia low on 08/10/09 07:26 AM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I love my British racing green convertible. The sidewalk package has all the bells and whistles esp the gorgeous brown leather interior. Now they won't make it any more. I am disappointed I wanted a new one only because I think the rear window visibility would be much improved with the retractable roll bars.

Mini at 50
By Mini at 50 - WOW!!! on 01/10/09 13:43 PM (PST)

2008 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I've had my Super Charged Mini convertible for 1 season and have driven it 14,000 miles as a daily commuter. No problems. Unless you call the attention you get from other drivers a problem. My kids think I'm nuts driving such a small car as a daily driver, but I respond life is short and my Mini convertible makes the daily ride an escape from the grind. Put my computer in the trunk, plug my Ipod into the stereo, and let the wind blow on my scalp (not much hair left). Motor on!

2008 JCWorks, Sidewalk special edition
By MINIMAN55 on 12/21/08 23:31 PM (PST)

2008 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Head turner, slick styling. The supercharger whine, exhaust note, and g-force experienced when I punch it are addicting, not to mention illegal. Rough ride on bumpy roads but amazing handling and control. The back seat is small (it's a MINI, duh!). Muscle car performance at 28 mpg and I ain't sparing it. For traveling fast and light, whether commuting or having fun, you can't beat it. Leather, stereo, ergonomics are excellent (I'm 6'3"). Automatic climate control works well and doesn't bog the engine at all. Looking up at Civics and Priuses in traffic took some getting used to, but if I don't want to look at them I don't have to - punch it and watch them get smaller.

'08 Cooper Convertible
By Marcel on 10/16/08 15:29 PM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

If I was going to buy an economical car, then I wanted a car that is fun to drive. The Cooper convertible is just that. Currently at 34 mpg around town and the 5-spd. is perfect for this car. The car is perfect except for the blind spot when the top is up. This is the rear quarter area, behind the back seat. Tough to see when backing up - however the rear sensors are helpful.

16 MPG
By Arzie on 10/12/08 11:29 AM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I've got 3000 miles on my Mini S convertible and I found out the hard way the marketing in better than the product. I'm getting only 16 mpg, horrible. The exterior styling is great, but the interior is lacking. The cup holders are useless in that they are too close to everything to put other than the smallest cup in it. And that is indicative of the entire vehicle, looks good but doesn't always work and it's usually too small to do the intended job. I thought this would be a great fun car to drive but it seems I'm always driving to the gas station. I had a Toyota before and boy do I miss it.

Total Recall
By Bismark on 08/29/08 13:08 PM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

The Mini S convertible is a cute and stylish car, with decent power and superior handling, but these are the only positives I can grant it. Ride on 17 inch runflats is appalling (and I have driven track-prep'd cars on the street for years, and ride motorcycles, so I am no 'princess and the pea'). Cannot adjust seats to my liking, knee rubs vs center console constantly. Ergonomics laughable (speedometer is a decoration as it's well out of the driver's vision, window toggles badly placed, climate controls non- intuitive), gearbox vague, rear- visibility non-existent/dangerous. Cute weekend toy car, but non-viable as modern commuter to anyone over the age of 25. Oh, and my mpg? Only 20 avg.

My Second MINI
By Michael Berliner on 07/04/08 23:08 PM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

My last MINI was a 2003 hard top, and this new convertible is much better than my old car. It was love at first sight when I picked it up at the dealer. I've had it for a month and it is past the 1250 mile break-in point, and it is more limber and willing. As far as I'm concerned, I'll be happy to drive this MINI for many years.

Race car
By Beth on 04/22/08 19:09 PM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have only had my mini convertiable for a week and it is the best car I have ever owned in my life.. this was a 40th birtday present from my husband and he really knows how to get brownie points, when I drive this car I feel like every road is my racetrack, this car corner's on rails, it handles like a dream, it is so much fun to drive, I traded a small suv in for my mini, and i was thought i might feel a little intimated on the road, but it just moves through traffic like a dream.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.