Used 2008 MINI Cooper Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Beware of water for Mini Convertible
By NotSoGreat

2008 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

To those of you considering buying the Mini Convertible. There is a design issue where water pours into the Mini on the driver's side when you open the door or window when it is, or has been, raining. I thought mine had a problem, only to find out after three visits that it's just the design that is an issue and thus can't be fixed. It's been fun driving it, but the water issue is a deal killer for me so I will be selling my Mini.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Tons: Fix water issue, make Nav system touch screen, fix counter-intuitive controls inside, get rid of the run flat tires...

Cooper MINI Convertible
By No Fun

2008 MINI Cooper Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I am very disappointed with the engine & automatic transmission design. There is a very bad dead zone in the acceleration in 1st from a dead stop. The top squeals when coming up. The maintenance is free but when they don't fix anything it's worthless. The repair shop isn't familiar with the car and can't fix problems. I have had to go back 4 or 5 times before something gets fixed. They have even lied, actually fixed something and said on the repair sheet that there was nothing was wrong. I would not recommend anyone buy this Car with an automatic. The rear view is cluttered and very dangerous to back up. The automation in the controls is stupid, mostly unnecessary and very annoying

Favorite Features

Handling is exceptional and fun. I like the convertible.

Suggested Improvements

Standarize the components of the driver controls. improve the rear view. teach the mechanics how to fix the problems with the car. don't lie to your customers. Improve the design of the engine automatic transmission assembly simplify the control design to automated.

No more sidewalk model
By marcia low

2008 MINI Cooper Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I love my British racing green convertible. The sidewalk package has all the bells and whistles esp the gorgeous brown leather interior. Now they won't make it any more. I am disappointed I wanted a new one only because I think the rear window visibility would be much improved with the retractable roll bars.

Favorite Features

How it handles on curves

Suggested Improvements

Repeat the sidewalk model

Mini at 50
By Mini at 50 - WOW!!!

2008 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I've had my Super Charged Mini convertible for 1 season and have driven it 14,000 miles as a daily commuter. No problems. Unless you call the attention you get from other drivers a problem. My kids think I'm nuts driving such a small car as a daily driver, but I respond life is short and my Mini convertible makes the daily ride an escape from the grind. Put my computer in the trunk, plug my Ipod into the stereo, and let the wind blow on my scalp (not much hair left). Motor on!

Favorite Features

Top opens partially to a sun roof configuration or fully open to a convertible mode.This thing coners like it's on rails and and accelerates with the 6 speed manual very nicely.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the blind spot. Need more dealers as they are few and far between.

2008 JCWorks, Sidewalk special edition
By MINIMAN55

2008 MINI Cooper Convertible S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Head turner, slick styling. The supercharger whine, exhaust note, and g-force experienced when I punch it are addicting, not to mention illegal. Rough ride on bumpy roads but amazing handling and control. The back seat is small (it's a MINI, duh!). Muscle car performance at 28 mpg and I ain't sparing it. For traveling fast and light, whether commuting or having fun, you can't beat it. Leather, stereo, ergonomics are excellent (I'm 6'3"). Automatic climate control works well and doesn't bog the engine at all. Looking up at Civics and Priuses in traffic took some getting used to, but if I don't want to look at them I don't have to - punch it and watch them get smaller.

Favorite Features

Performance and handling. The high beams will scorch paint. The stereo sound is awesome. A bag of chips, a bottle of water, and change from my $20 bill after filling up with no-lead primo is pretty cool too.

Suggested Improvements

I'm not sure the ride quality can be improved upon without compromising the handling (not worth it). I would have opted for a 6-disk CD player if it were available. You had better like the CD in the player, be prepared to pull over, or bring a passenger. You will not change a CD on the fly and live.