Used 2008 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews - 67 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

a blissful honeymoon led to a nasty divorce
By stanley m heath

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

BMW seems determined to make Mini owners tethered to their Mini dealership service departments. There are no instructions for owner maintainence and the instructions for resetting the stupid computer for things as simple as inflating the tires are either incomplete or unintelligible. Oil change intervals of 15,000 miles are too long and only contribute to more trips to the dealer in the long run as the engine wears out. Every Mini owner can attest to the utter worthlessness of the run flat tires. Harsh ride and expensive to replace I put conventional radials on and it made big improvement. For a "sports" car with all the electronics I"d expect and oil pressure gauge and a temperature gauge at the minimum, but apparently BMW engineers knew better. I bought my Cooper S with 13,000 miles and never got the Email regarding the recall for timing belt tensioner replacement until mine imploded at 30,000 miles. The local dealer was willing to replace mine, but up until that moment I'd never had oil consumption problems. Since then it burned through 2 qts. in 5000 miles. Coincidence? I think the fragments from the tensioner ruined the internal parts of the engine. The driving experience is indeed exhilarating, but beware the dealer cost for service can offset the fun factor real quick. I will not buy another Mini or any other BMW product or recommend them to anyone else. Run the other way

So much fun - and oh so not worth it in the end...
By Scott England

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Look I'll make this brief and simple. If you are reading this and other posts you should have an idea now that the Mini is a blast to drive. And you will pay and pay for the constant repairs to enjoy that go-kart feel. The reliability on these cars is abysmal - period. Something is always leaking, breaking or needs replacing. The little turbo simply just eats things up and you will be in the "repair" tunnel of hell once things go south. And they will sooner then later. I simply can't recommend these cars until BMW makes a significant commitment to improving quality. Save yourself heartache and go get a new Mazda Miata.

mini car with GIANT aspirations fulfilled!
By Chris

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This car is a great car ive driven both the type s and reg mini cooper and they are both fun but the type s is way more fun! Like the description on the page before says, " like a go kart for adults", NAILED IT! The car is absolutely a blast to drive yeah ok for the first split second there's a tttiiinnnyyy bit of lag(maybe til like 1200-1500 rpms) but after it pulls harder and harder, also noise complaints??? The only noise i heard was the great roar of this four cylinder turbo screaming down the road as if it were warning the other cars to get out of my way!!! This car has GREAT POTENTIAL compared to any other cars, whether price range or in its class! Lastly as for those who complained about the "stiff ride", one question for you?, Have you ever rode in a car with performance suspension before???, yeah its supposed to be stiffer for handling purposes!!! So quit being a stiff yourself and just drive the darn thing like its meant to be driven!!! Moreover this might be a "mini car" but its a GIANT KILLER that i feel has fulfilled GIANT aspirations!!! GREAT CAR!!! (In my own opine the only thing that would make this car better would be a blow off to hear that ppssshhh, to give the car a bit more attitude like pppsssshhhhh please get out of my way!!!)

Fun to drive comes with a Price!
By theminicooper

2008 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased this car brand new! My dream car back then! Today, I am regretting it. Now at 100 000 miles, I already had a few major issues. Twice I had a coolant leak! Which cost near the 1000$ mark to get repaired. Now I have an engine had gasket leak. This car leaks from everywhere basically. Very expensive car to own! You need a special tool to remove sparkplugs!
I also had electrical problems! Driving along and all of a sudden, Windows goes down and doesn't want to come back up, Headlights flashing like a police car.. car alarm going off as I unlock car...
Very fun to drive!! Looooooove the driving experience but problems are becoming "unforgivable".
Would NOT recommend!!

-Window opening from keyless entry fob -Sunroof -handling -overall look

Reliability!!!!! I talked to the guy who purchased the (2004)Toyota Corolla I had before this Mini and he was up to 180 000miles and had No issues at all except basic oil changes... Which also, an Oil change on a Mini, is very expensive and cannot be done anywhere (Full synthetic + unique oil filter)

Too many problems, excessive oil consumption
By bill_jones

2008 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I owned a 2008 Mini Cooper S, until recently when I traded it in with 75,000 miles. I bought it new and it was a fun car to drive.
It had lots of leg room for my 6' 4" body, but in terms of maintainability it was the worst car that I have ever owned. After 36,000 miles, I was continually plagued with either a "CHECK ENGINE" or "SERVICE" light and as a result I was forced to bring it to the dealer/car repair shop to get it analyzed. Furthermore, it had "run flat" tires...a terrible experience!
To summarize my MINI experience:
after 50,000 miles it turned into a lemon. To the future owner...stock up on SYN 5W-30 motor oil...you're going to need it!