Used 2007 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Unreliable
By Sam Mignoni

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We brought the mini new 2007 and have had it tow in 3 time, they have at this point with 27000 miles replaced the fuel pump,timing chain,exhaust manifold,throttle cable,tail pipe.It does not run well in cold weather and we live in Michigan.The car is a lemon and I have asked them to buy it back from me or extend the warranty due to the dependability.It is a shame as we really enjoy driving the car when it runs

Suggested Improvements

Improve the cars dependability.

Banana S
By banana

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Great little car. Harsh ride though. Lots of Rattles and squeaks. Never has let me down. Great mileage I'm getting 42mpg with my modifications.

Favorite Features

Power to weight ratio. Just had a dyno done. 300hp to the wheels.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the Ride and the rattle problems. Make a real automatic wiper function.

Fun/Frustrating!!!!
By bean

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have to agree that this is the most unreliable car ever! I have only owned since June 2009 From November - January 6 I have had the timing valve, fueld pump, and most recent intake manifold replaced. As above having to drive 2 hours for service and then also for the oil change and then the service light came on again and when we went in for the computer read NOTHING needed to be done, wasted trip. Everytime one of the parts needed replacing the mgr. of the service dept said oh yes, we've had problems with that part. When will it end?? MINI has been a dream car of mine and I am so totally disappointed in reliability!

Favorite Features

Beautiful organish leather interior, feels like a race car, everyone looks at the car at intersections and even peak in the windows in parking lots (proof if strange handprints on my windows lol). Corners like it's on rails, there are great MINI clubs.

Suggested Improvements

2007 seems to be a year many flaws with this car, corporate didn't even make excuses when I called about how many times it's been serviced. I worry about when the warranty expires if I can even afford to keep the damn thing.

Fun, but don't get the Turbo
By MartyJ

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had my 2007 Cooper S for 2 years and have over 48,000 miles on it. I LOVE to drive it, but I've had several issues with the turbo engine, mostly the turbo itself. It's been replaced twice and I also had to have the valve cover replaced, all under warranty. This is my third Mini, first was an '02 Cooper. Second was an '05 S with the supercharged engine, which I had NO problems with. I would probably still have that one, but a drunk driver took care of that for me! If I were to do it again, I would stick with the base Cooper, unless they bring back the supercharger. Was much more reliable. On top of that, the closest dealer is a 90-minite drive away.

Favorite Features

Driving fun, seats, seating position, safety, appearance, handling.

Suggested Improvements

Better engine, turbo needs to be more reliable or go back to the supercharger, better dealer network.

nickel and dime Fun
By chandeau

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Driving experience is fun fun fun. The reliability is not so fun. There is a design flaw where it won't start in really cold temps. My sunroof won't open when its really hot. I have it in the shop twice to get lights replaced and two other times for minor issues. The seats are great for short trips since they hug you in the seat...but for long trips my lower back aches terribly. Also, the center console opens on its own by merely brushing it with my arm, needs a better closing mechanism. The sunroom screen doesn't block enough sun.

Favorite Features

Great looks, performance and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Fix cold weather start issue, better seats for long trips, better center console, improve sunroof screen, better placement of drink holders, more user-friendly computer (need the manual every time there's an issue). In my opinion, if its only two years old, there shouldn't be any issues!