Used 2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Don't be fooled
By MC

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I fell in love with my MINI at the dealership... Thought it was a great deal. A 2007 with only 20k on it! At a good price too. I had the car for no more than a month, only having added 800 miles to the ODO when... BAM! There goes my transmission! Luckily it was still under warranty. But then come to find out the engine has a whole load of problems too... And so ends my MINI Cooper experience. Traded it in for a prius. Idk if it was my individual car of the quality of 2007 mini's but beware.

Favorite Features

The Look, the fuel economy (35-45 avg on my automatic), the handling.

Suggested Improvements

Make a car that actually has an ounce of reliability. And a full sized spare.

Timing chain
By okyourway

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love my car but it started knocking when I started the engine, and the service light was on. I have had it almost 3 years. I was dismayed to find they needed to replace the timing chain. They said they "upgraded it." With the amount of money I spent on the car, why would they need to upgrade anything? I'm trying to sort things out before I give up the car I really love to call my own.

2007 Mini Cooper S aluminum block
By Nelson

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My daughter bought me this car because I am poor. With this car, I am poorer. Plus, the local mechanic can't fix it and the dealer is two hours away. In fact, I took it to the dealer for cold start problems, and they could not fix it or even find the problem. Either fuel pump or carbon on valves. How can a car with less than 50,000 miles have carbon build up? And this is evidently common, perhaps a congenital defect. Also the normal maintenance, for example, the tires, is every 25,000 miles and costs $800 for horrid run flats. This car is not for one without disposable income and need for reliability.

Favorite Features

Corners beautifully, is very powerful. and aesthetically pleasing.

Laser Blue pocket Rocket
By Gauhog

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Purchased the Mini used after seeing them around for some time.Everyone knows all the cliches; go-cart handling, great brakes, etc. Fuel economy is excellent despite my heavy foot. I have taken numerous 1500 mile round trips with 35+ mpg @ 75-80 mph. The Mini rides well on the smooth interstates, but lousy roads in the northeast can beat you up a little; I guess a combination of the short wheelbase, run-flats, and inordinately high tire pressures. Overall though, the experience has been a good one so far. One other thing, no matter how many seats are physically in the car, the car is a two-seater.

Favorite Features

Nav, humongous sun-roof, great fuel economy no matter how fast I drive.

Suggested Improvements

Sport button should default to the on position with the option to turn it off. Something needs to be figured out to do away with the run-flat tires. They give peace of mind, but give the car a choppy ride. A less gunky brake pad material would be appreciated.

Unreliable
By Sam Mignoni

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We brought the mini new 2007 and have had it tow in 3 time, they have at this point with 27000 miles replaced the fuel pump,timing chain,exhaust manifold,throttle cable,tail pipe.It does not run well in cold weather and we live in Michigan.The car is a lemon and I have asked them to buy it back from me or extend the warranty due to the dependability.It is a shame as we really enjoy driving the car when it runs

Suggested Improvements

Improve the cars dependability.