Used 2007 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Reliability?
By used07?

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The first mini i drove was a 03 cooper S and i fell in love with it. I just purchased a 07 cooper S used with only 42,000 miles and figured it was a good deal. WRONG! Within the first 3 weeks it wouldn't start and the problem was a coolant temp sensor (warranty covered). The car ran great for about another 3 weeks and now the motor knocks badly and it needs a timing chain according to the service department. Also the transmission has a slow leak. I am terrified about when the factory warranty is up. Mini made a huge mistake in my opinion by letting BMW take control of the motors. I definitely wish i bought a supercharged model rather than the turbo, just way too many issues for my liking.

Favorite Features

when the car ISN'T at the dealer for its mechanical problems, it is a blast to drive. gets looks everywhere I go and handles like a Indy car

Suggested Improvements

mini should buy all of the 07's back and give us 08's! total waste of money and i cannot wait until i sell this car. i will NEVER EVER buy another turbo charged cooper.

Don't be fooled
By MC

2007 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I fell in love with my MINI at the dealership... Thought it was a great deal. A 2007 with only 20k on it! At a good price too. I had the car for no more than a month, only having added 800 miles to the ODO when... BAM! There goes my transmission! Luckily it was still under warranty. But then come to find out the engine has a whole load of problems too... And so ends my MINI Cooper experience. Traded it in for a prius. Idk if it was my individual car of the quality of 2007 mini's but beware.

Favorite Features

The Look, the fuel economy (35-45 avg on my automatic), the handling.

Suggested Improvements

Make a car that actually has an ounce of reliability. And a full sized spare.

Timing chain
By okyourway

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love my car but it started knocking when I started the engine, and the service light was on. I have had it almost 3 years. I was dismayed to find they needed to replace the timing chain. They said they "upgraded it." With the amount of money I spent on the car, why would they need to upgrade anything? I'm trying to sort things out before I give up the car I really love to call my own.

2007 Mini Cooper S aluminum block
By Nelson

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My daughter bought me this car because I am poor. With this car, I am poorer. Plus, the local mechanic can't fix it and the dealer is two hours away. In fact, I took it to the dealer for cold start problems, and they could not fix it or even find the problem. Either fuel pump or carbon on valves. How can a car with less than 50,000 miles have carbon build up? And this is evidently common, perhaps a congenital defect. Also the normal maintenance, for example, the tires, is every 25,000 miles and costs $800 for horrid run flats. This car is not for one without disposable income and need for reliability.

Favorite Features

Corners beautifully, is very powerful. and aesthetically pleasing.

Laser Blue pocket Rocket
By Gauhog

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Purchased the Mini used after seeing them around for some time.Everyone knows all the cliches; go-cart handling, great brakes, etc. Fuel economy is excellent despite my heavy foot. I have taken numerous 1500 mile round trips with 35+ mpg @ 75-80 mph. The Mini rides well on the smooth interstates, but lousy roads in the northeast can beat you up a little; I guess a combination of the short wheelbase, run-flats, and inordinately high tire pressures. Overall though, the experience has been a good one so far. One other thing, no matter how many seats are physically in the car, the car is a two-seater.

Favorite Features

Nav, humongous sun-roof, great fuel economy no matter how fast I drive.

Suggested Improvements

Sport button should default to the on position with the option to turn it off. Something needs to be figured out to do away with the run-flat tires. They give peace of mind, but give the car a choppy ride. A less gunky brake pad material would be appreciated.