2007 MINI Cooper Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2007 Cooper Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Sort Reviews by

23 Years of BMW
By S_Car_Go

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Between my husband and I we've owned a BMW product since 1986. The Mini is truly a BMW and comes with all the benefits and the drawbacks. BMW is all about what's under the hood - great engine, handling and braking. BMW really doesn't care if your drink fits in the cupholder of if the interior uses materials that makes it look worse than an econo box. After all, you're having too much fun driving to notice! If it's anything like our other BMWs, expect that each visit to the mechanic will be about $1,000 - it will happen enough to be painful but not enough to hate the car. Go to a Mini car club dinner (yes, you women too) to meet other owners and find out the best mechanics, body shop etc

Favorite Features

I have the Mellow Yellow with the yellow line interior. Mini has line interior kits if you want a change. Also there are lots of internet sites for all sorts of customization. One of the best features are other Mini owners. Join the Mini club for more driving fun!

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade interior materials. Improve fit and finish.

I like it
By Mini in VA

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Owned my Mini for a year and a half and it's been a real treat. NO problems. Even after 8 years people still crane to look at them, so don't buy one if you don't want to be noticed. Although it is admittedly a toy we have taken in on long trips to the beach in South Carolina and skiing in Vermont and it surprisingly accommodated my wife and I and all our gear. The little thing travels really well and seems the longer you are in the seats the better they get. I do wish they had put an opaque screen on the sunroof as the Virginia summers get boiling hot, but the auto down windows on the remote helps that some. Drinks in the cup holders tend to unintentionally turn on the seat heaters too.

Favorite Features

Aux input for mp3 player, mood lighting, distinctive interior and exterior design (that's why we bought it), gas mileage, punch leather seats with seat heaters, quick warm up in winter. Panoramic sunroof is great.

Suggested Improvements

AC struggles in hot weather. Opaque screen for sunroof. Resetting computer for tire warnings is annoying (and yes you will get them if you corner hard or park sideways on much of a hill). Relocate drink holders to the bottom of the doors where there is more room for them.

A blast to drive, even for a tall guy!

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

The Mini corners like a go-kart and is really fun to drive. I prefer it to my Mercedes 320 Kompressor. I have had absolutely no problems with it. Built 3x more rigid than the average car, and 5***** crash ratin, I feel safer in it than most cars. Get the dual sunroof if possible. Only downside is seeing the stoplights for a 6.6" guy, when the seat is set far back. I get 39.5 mpg 6-speed, the low EPA estimate is a joke!

Favorite Features

Dual Sunroof, 2-tone colors (red & white) I-POD interface, heated seats, interior lighting LEDs can be set to different colors. The engine is quick but wonder if I should have bought the S-model. Outstanding resale value after 5 years (Best in US ?). Solid handling & Quiet--well tuned exhaust.

Suggested Improvements

The headlights could be brighter, daytime running lights would be good; I use the standard fog lights.

Fun, but not reliable or well designed

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Owned/driven my car for 15 months. Fun, but not reliable or well designed. Factory options only (no mods). Since owning, in for repairs SIX times (2x for turbo, 1x for audio amp, 1x for sunroof, 1x for tailpipe recall AND 1 week for replacing a factory built too-small transmission motor mount). My windshield has 3 stone chips and 2 big cracks due to stone hits & the high windshield angle. Engine has cold idle issue where it sounds like a diesel truck for 1-3 minutes. If you want a fun around-town car, are willing to overlook flaws/ major issues, can deal with repair trips to out-of-town dealerships (6 in 15 months), then buy this car. As for me, I'll be selling at the end of the warranty.

Favorite Features

Sporty & fast, good around-town car, easy to haul large boxy items (like 55 gallon drum).

Suggested Improvements

NEEDS better reliability and build quality. Change windshield angle or use better windshields. tires wear out faster than most sport tires despite adult driving style.

I love this car
By jules

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I love my Mini and will definitely get another. Amazing for zooming in and out on the highway, and also awesome for city driving. Our gas mileage is great- high 30's and sometimes even low 40's for pure highway driving. My husband and I are both very tall and find the cabin more than comfortable. I don't have any complaints about this car!

Best Buy
By Louis "GIR"

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my 2nd MINI and I love them. I have done a ton of upgrades and this car zooms more then I thought it could. I bought mine loaded all the perks. Its been worth every dollar. I have won car shows with this car. If you get one I recommend an "S" can do more with it then a Cooper. Bite the bullet and buy the "S". This is not a car for fuel economy its to have fun and drive. If you get one make sure you wave Hi to other MINI's. Don't be rude show some MINI love. If you are getting it for fuel economy buy a Honda. These cars are meant to be family not just to have, but to have fun in.

Favorite Features

Nav, built in bluetooth

Suggested Improvements

Tighter suspension, lower ride, and not stop using parts to slow up the engine. Get to the point with power stop limiting it.

Mini = Fun
By gabe

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I have had my Mini for about a year and a half. The car has been fantastic, perfectly reliable, a real blast to drive and is quite efficient. I had debated long and hard about getting the S version; however, I have no regrets. The car is super quick, very powerful, and I get about 38-42 MPG depending on how fast drive.

Favorite Features

Agility, acceleration, fun appearance, quirky interior, brakes, fuel efficiency.

Suggested Improvements

Quieter interior on rough road surfaces.

Fun and room for a tall guy

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I'm 6'6" tall and this car has more legroom that full size pickup trucks I have ovned. It gets much better mileage than the EPA estimates. I drive 30 miles to work each way, and average 39.5 mpg at an average speed of 37.5. It handles like a go-cart and is fun to drive. I have had Mercedes and Z3 convertables and currentl have a 230 compressor. The Mercedes stays in the garage!

Favorite Features

Radio, interior lighting, "fun button," double sunroof, looks and the looks I get! Cornering is exceptional.

Suggested Improvements

Headlights could be brighter.

Made our lifes interesting
By driving for fun

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Owned in Nov-2007. Never required any service and computer shows that it needs have service after next 8000 miles for my current driving conditions. I had Mazda 6 before this car which was fun to drive but this is way more fun asking for more and more all the way up to turbo boost when I floor the gas pedal. Neither powerful nor fastest but it is quick, agile, solid and builds confidence even at high speeds on irregular pavements and curves never fails to give feedback to the driver. Premium gas is recommended but not required. Plenty of cheers/curious looks/hand waving/questions from others and other Mini owners is something I've seen with Mini Cooper only but not with any other car.

Favorite Features

Fun factor, incredible gas mileage, doesn't require premium gas, 3 year free maintainance from BMW although it never required any in 1 year.

Suggested Improvements

Pushing hard elicits significant torque steer.

I love my MINI
By bbm

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is fun to drive and I love its looks. It will never get old. The turbo S had a lot of power especially when I press the sport mode button. I get about 38-40mpg freeway, and aprox 32 combined. The shifting is smooth.

Favorite Features

Panoramic sun roof, 6 speed, torque, handling, looks, nav system, comfy seats, rain sensors, xenon, 17 rims, and very fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Wipers sets to high in off position, thus slightly in my field of vision. Tried adjusting it but it lowers too low that hits the lower windshield rubber seals.