2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
2007 Mini Cooper S aluminum block
By Nelson on 03/31/10 18:43 PM (PDT)

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My daughter bought me this car because I am poor. With this car, I am poorer. Plus, the local mechanic can't fix it and the dealer is two hours away. In fact, I took it to the dealer for cold start problems, and they could not fix it or even find the problem. Either fuel pump or carbon on valves. How can a car with less than 50,000 miles have carbon build up? And this is evidently common, perhaps a congenital defect. Also the normal maintenance, for example, the tires, is every 25,000 miles and costs $800 for horrid run flats. This car is not for one without disposable income and need for reliability.

Laser Blue pocket Rocket
By Gauhog on 03/02/10 16:36 PM (PST)

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Purchased the Mini used after seeing them around for some time.Everyone knows all the cliches; go-cart handling, great brakes, etc. Fuel economy is excellent despite my heavy foot. I have taken numerous 1500 mile round trips with 35+ mpg @ 75-80 mph. The Mini rides well on the smooth interstates, but lousy roads in the northeast can beat you up a little; I guess a combination of the short wheelbase, run-flats, and inordinately high tire pressures. Overall though, the experience has been a good one so far. One other thing, no matter how many seats are physically in the car, the car is a two-seater.

Unreliable
By Sam Mignoni on 02/22/10 14:45 PM (PST)

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We brought the mini new 2007 and have had it tow in 3 time, they have at this point with 27000 miles replaced the fuel pump,timing chain,exhaust manifold,throttle cable,tail pipe.It does not run well in cold weather and we live in Michigan.The car is a lemon and I have asked them to buy it back from me or extend the warranty due to the dependability.It is a shame as we really enjoy driving the car when it runs

Banana S
By banana on 01/07/10 13:20 PM (PST)

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Great little car. Harsh ride though. Lots of Rattles and squeaks. Never has let me down. Great mileage I'm getting 42mpg with my modifications.

Fun/Frustrating!!!!
By bean on 01/06/10 18:34 PM (PST)

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have to agree that this is the most unreliable car ever! I have only owned since June 2009 From November - January 6 I have had the timing valve, fueld pump, and most recent intake manifold replaced. As above having to drive 2 hours for service and then also for the oil change and then the service light came on again and when we went in for the computer read NOTHING needed to be done, wasted trip. Everytime one of the parts needed replacing the mgr. of the service dept said oh yes, we've had problems with that part. When will it end?? MINI has been a dream car of mine and I am so totally disappointed in reliability!

Fun, but don't get the Turbo
By MartyJ on 01/04/10 20:39 PM (PST)

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had my 2007 Cooper S for 2 years and have over 48,000 miles on it. I LOVE to drive it, but I've had several issues with the turbo engine, mostly the turbo itself. It's been replaced twice and I also had to have the valve cover replaced, all under warranty. This is my third Mini, first was an '02 Cooper. Second was an '05 S with the supercharged engine, which I had NO problems with. I would probably still have that one, but a drunk driver took care of that for me! If I were to do it again, I would stick with the base Cooper, unless they bring back the supercharger. Was much more reliable. On top of that, the closest dealer is a 90-minite drive away.

nickel and dime Fun
By chandeau on 08/24/09 08:48 AM (PDT)

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Driving experience is fun fun fun. The reliability is not so fun. There is a design flaw where it won't start in really cold temps. My sunroof won't open when its really hot. I have it in the shop twice to get lights replaced and two other times for minor issues. The seats are great for short trips since they hug you in the seat...but for long trips my lower back aches terribly. Also, the center console opens on its own by merely brushing it with my arm, needs a better closing mechanism. The sunroom screen doesn't block enough sun.

23 Years of BMW
By S_Car_Go on 07/26/09 04:50 AM (PDT)

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Between my husband and I we've owned a BMW product since 1986. The Mini is truly a BMW and comes with all the benefits and the drawbacks. BMW is all about what's under the hood - great engine, handling and braking. BMW really doesn't care if your drink fits in the cupholder of if the interior uses materials that makes it look worse than an econo box. After all, you're having too much fun driving to notice! If it's anything like our other BMWs, expect that each visit to the mechanic will be about $1,000 - it will happen enough to be painful but not enough to hate the car. Go to a Mini car club dinner (yes, you women too) to meet other owners and find out the best mechanics, body shop etc

I like it
By Mini in VA on 05/20/09 06:00 AM (PDT)

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Owned my Mini for a year and a half and it's been a real treat. NO problems. Even after 8 years people still crane to look at them, so don't buy one if you don't want to be noticed. Although it is admittedly a toy we have taken in on long trips to the beach in South Carolina and skiing in Vermont and it surprisingly accommodated my wife and I and all our gear. The little thing travels really well and seems the longer you are in the seats the better they get. I do wish they had put an opaque screen on the sunroof as the Virginia summers get boiling hot, but the auto down windows on the remote helps that some. Drinks in the cup holders tend to unintentionally turn on the seat heaters too.

A blast to drive, even for a tall guy!
By Brian on 04/04/09 05:01 AM (PDT)

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

The Mini corners like a go-kart and is really fun to drive. I prefer it to my Mercedes 320 Kompressor. I have had absolutely no problems with it. Built 3x more rigid than the average car, and 5***** crash ratin, I feel safer in it than most cars. Get the dual sunroof if possible. Only downside is seeing the stoplights for a 6.6" guy, when the seat is set far back. I get 39.5 mpg 6-speed, the low EPA estimate is a joke!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.