Used 2007 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mini Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2007 MINI Cooper

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Expensive to Own
By mnw

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had a blast driving my S. It is a sports car noisy and stiff ride but you would expect this. We removed the back useless sets and installed Seat deletes.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

I bought my Mini Cooper S, 23 months ago it has averaged 13K miles a year , Paid $23K for it. The best offer I have had on it so far is $9700. That is a lot of depreciation. Would I buy another? No Way....... But my luck is I have 2 of them:(

Fun to drive when not being fixed
By oliveb

2007 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my 2007 MC used with 24,000 miles. It was the perfect first car for me -- small, easy to park, fun to drive. However, around 50,000 miles the car's reliability took a turn. This year it was in for service 7 times, towed twice. Everything from steering wheel locks to o2 sensors has needed to be replaced. It has started to overheat, and make discontenting sounds. Alignment pins have started rattling (not covered in warranty - $700 to fix). After a recent service trip the service light was at 10,000 miles and two weeks later its at 7,000 - no possible way I drove 3k in two weeks. My mom and sister both have brand new minis and love them, so perhaps this is a car not to be bought used.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, aesthetically appealing, stereo is decent, comfortable interior (although I'm 5'2). Mini Roadside assistance is extremely handy and simple to use.

Suggested Improvements

As said in other reviews, mini needs to recall certain problems that have been seen in their cars. Customer service is extremely poor - every time I take it in, I'm treated like an idiot and these are just common problems every car has. Sadly, I will not be buying another vehicle from Mini. Also, there is no temperature gauge, so the only possible way to tell if the car is overheating is if the area around your feet/pedals gets abnormally warm. There's also a surprising kick that lunges the car forward upon breaking at red lights, stop signs, etc. It's sporadic, but it has almost lunged me into a few cars.

SERIOUS problems with this car - do NOT buy
By erica_mini

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my 2007 MINI Cooper S brand new, and I couldn't have been more excited to buy what I expected to be a high-performing, Germany car. I couldln't have been more wrong! I am on my SEVENTH major enjine repair in 107K miles. The vacuum pump for the turbo engine has failed TWICE (the first time for $6k), I have had 3 issues with carbon buildup - the most recent ($3500 repair) was all of 11 day after the dealer claimed that the carbon buildup problem had been resolved. In short, I have spent more than $10K repairing the engine problems in this car, and as 3 of these problems have been within 4 months - I have no confidence in this car and can't wait to trade it in for an AMERICAN car!!!!

Sell it before the warranty runs out
By iautox1

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

MINI had and had multiple defects that it will not fix. Bad automatic transmissions. Bad clutches. Bad vacuum pumps that can cause the need for a complete engine review. And the problems I've had: death rattle dieseling. It's a noise the engine makes on start up. You can find countless posts on Mini forums on this issue. The noise is a symtom of the timing chain and tensioner failing. It usually just costs $1,550 to fix, but the change can jump timing or break causing the valves to contact the pistons and the need for a $8,000 engine replacement. My was replaced at 20,000 miles and now again at under 70,000 miles. It began making noise right after it was replaced the first time.

Favorite Features

Handles well, get great mileage, but is unreliable, very expensive to fix, and customer service is very poor.

Suggested Improvements

Mini should institute recalls to fix all the various common faults with these cars, but more importantly they should find a permanent fix for these problems rather than leaving them in the current models and alienating more buyers. These are very nice looking, handling, fast cars that are just wholly unreliable.

Timing Chain / Tensioner
By living_dino

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I had owned a 2006 MINI Cooper S, and I was one of the first people to buy the second generation of New MINI. I LOVE the performance and driving experience of both cars. There are few cars on the road that offer such a great driving experience, with the kind of gas economy that they get. The first generation MINI was flawless in all respects. The second generation, at least my year, has a re-occurring timing chain issue. The technicians keep chaining it up, one year it is the chair, the next it is the tensioner (actually twice), and they they tell me it was an oil leak from the timing chain cover. I think there is a design flaw, and they won't admit it. In 4 years, 5 repair incidents.

Favorite Features

Driving performance, gas economy, and fit & finish of the car.

Suggested Improvements

Fix this damn timing chain problem. Issue a redesign and recall before there is a class action suit.