Used 2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

A Very Bad Investment
By choulli

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought my Mini Cooper S, std shift, new in 2007. It was a fun & happy ride for a very short time. Since owning this money-sucking imp, I have spent approx $5K in repairs (not maintenance) including: new brakes new tires tailpipe recall coolant & water pump recall timing chain oil pump (1st tow) water pump & new seals thermostat (2nd tow) driver's side window mechanism driver's side visor Front suspension is shot & clutch is in need of replacement. Car is under 50K miles & less than 8 yrs old I am trading it in for a Subaru & I will not buy another.

it's cute & packs a punch on the highway

build a better car

2007 mini cooper S - run now!
By anita28

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought a used mini cooper S - it had 39000 miles on it and 5 owners before me. I ignored that warning sign because it was so cute and so fun to drive - big mistake. I loved that car and had it for 1 yr before I traded it in - too many problems to list but the last one was a recall. I knew from experience that Mini dealership would say it was something I did so I traded it in. They never covered anything - ever - it was always my fault. I spent over 2,000 bucks on it in a year. I love the car, always will but I can't afford the repairs. For a Mini car it has Major expenses, are you prepared to pay that price? I wasn't - driving a Toyota now and very very happy with it!

A blast to drive, so adorable and sporty. I'll miss it for that always.

Customer service!!!! Can't say that enough! Why does the Mini dealership not provide better service. Oh I know - because they know their product is faulty and it'll cost them lots of money. They wouldn't even cover things under warranty - said it was something I did even though it was a known problem - thermostat issue for instance.

Six years in, still love it
By adra21

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased this car brand new in the fall of 2007, and still really love it. It handles well, it's fun to drive, it's good-looking, and it does everything I need it to do. It fits into smaller parking spaces (a very nice perk in a city like Los Angeles). Overall great car and I can't recommend it enough. The thing to bear in mind about my feedback: my prior car was a 1988 Jeep Cherokee, so VERY different. And if you're thinking of transitioning from a bigger car to this car, be aware that you'll use your horn a little more, because sometimes people just don't see the car when changing lanes.

- the giant glass sunroof (option) - ipod/aux input - being able to control the stereo from the steering wheel (that might also be an option) - the digital readout behind the steering wheel that shows exterior temperature and the car's speed - keyless entry - the way it looks: I just think this is the cutest car - it fits way more cargo than you'd expect: you can put the rear seats down and fit a ton in the trunk and the back seat (if you're going to have more than one passenger, then obviously I don't recommend this, but the car does great on a road trip for two to wine country, carrying all the wine and all the luggage)

The only less-than-stellar thing about this car is how much it squeaks. There's just something about the materials used in the interior that's a bit cheaper and I notice that there's a lot of squeaking (like of plastic) as the car shakes from movement on the road. It seems to be worse in the heat.

I like it... when it works.
By moosamabob

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought the car used with all the bells and whistles of 2007. Except for a reliable engine. While everything looked great on paper, it just doesn't deliver on the reliability front. B/t 70k and 80k miles, it's been in the shop for the timing chain, high pressure fuel pump, exhaust manifold, and the oil filter housing, each of which cost at least $1000. Plus other misc repairs. In all I've dumped $2300 into it since I got it a year ago. Thankfully I bought a warranty, doesn't cover everything though. On top of this, it has a very harsh suspension w/ the 17" rims, it's pretty noisy inside, it consumes way too much oil, everything for it is expensive, and it's entirely a pain to own. Not happy.

The exterior design just looks fantastic. Grey and black is a good scheme for it. Sport mode is great, it opens the floodgates of torque and makes it so much more fun. The manual transmission is excellent: I heard was one of the best to learn from. Very smooth and easy to shift, despite the heavy clutch. The fuel economy is excellent, I'm averaging about 32mpg city. Unfortunately it requires premium gas. The panoramic sunroof is cool but squeaky when shut going over bumps. Auto a/c is also cool b/c the standard hvac controls are terrible. Great visibility.

Better, more reliable mechanical parts that don't cost an arm and a leg every time it breaks. Softer ride, quieter. More sound deadening material inside. A recall for the cold start shudder issue. Better oil life: it's just a small performance car, not a supercar. ... This car is way more of an enthusiast than I am, requiring all kinds of special parts and meticulous attention. And nothing is easy with this car. Every time I try to get the oil changed by a non-mini dealer, they screw it up. Even a simple tire rotation turned into a 3 day ordeal. Do yourself a favor, and, unless you have a ton of money you don't mind wasting, don't buy this car.

Cute but designed to fail
By garyenum

2007 MINI Cooper Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The time chain self destructed at 40k miles and the engine has to be replaced. The technician said that the parts how that there was a problem for a while, judging the wear marks on certain parts. He also said that timing chains only last 30 or 40k miles. Don't buy a Mini. If you own one sell it before the timing chain breaks and screws up the internal parts such that the engine has to be replaced to the tune of $8,000. Dumb design, I was a dummy for buying it.

Fun to drive, but the fun ends quickly.

Design an engine that does not self destruct to help keep your service department running.