2007 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews 2

2007 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:
Fun to drive when not being fixed
By oliveb on 12/22/11 22:15 PM (PST)

2007 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my 2007 MC used with 24,000 miles. It was the perfect first car for me -- small, easy to park, fun to drive. However, around 50,000 miles the car's reliability took a turn. This year it was in for service 7 times, towed twice. Everything from steering wheel locks to o2 sensors has needed to be replaced. It has started to overheat, and make discontenting sounds. Alignment pins have started rattling (not covered in warranty - $700 to fix). After a recent service trip the service light was at 10,000 miles and two weeks later its at 7,000 - no possible way I drove 3k in two weeks. My mom and sister both have brand new minis and love them, so perhaps this is a car not to be bought used.

SERIOUS problems with this car - do NOT buy
By erica_mini on 12/20/11 19:24 PM (PST)

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my 2007 MINI Cooper S brand new, and I couldn't have been more excited to buy what I expected to be a high-performing, Germany car. I couldln't have been more wrong! I am on my SEVENTH major enjine repair in 107K miles. The vacuum pump for the turbo engine has failed TWICE (the first time for $6k), I have had 3 issues with carbon buildup - the most recent ($3500 repair) was all of 11 day after the dealer claimed that the carbon buildup problem had been resolved. In short, I have spent more than $10K repairing the engine problems in this car, and as 3 of these problems have been within 4 months - I have no confidence in this car and can't wait to trade it in for an AMERICAN car!!!!

Sell it before the warranty runs out
By iautox1 on 12/18/11 22:28 PM (PST)

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

MINI had and had multiple defects that it will not fix. Bad automatic transmissions. Bad clutches. Bad vacuum pumps that can cause the need for a complete engine review. And the problems I've had: death rattle dieseling. It's a noise the engine makes on start up. You can find countless posts on Mini forums on this issue. The noise is a symtom of the timing chain and tensioner failing. It usually just costs $1,550 to fix, but the change can jump timing or break causing the valves to contact the pistons and the need for a $8,000 engine replacement. My was replaced at 20,000 miles and now again at under 70,000 miles. It began making noise right after it was replaced the first time.

Timing Chain / Tensioner
By living_dino on 06/06/11 13:26 PM (PDT)

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I had owned a 2006 MINI Cooper S, and I was one of the first people to buy the second generation of New MINI. I LOVE the performance and driving experience of both cars. There are few cars on the road that offer such a great driving experience, with the kind of gas economy that they get. The first generation MINI was flawless in all respects. The second generation, at least my year, has a re-occurring timing chain issue. The technicians keep chaining it up, one year it is the chair, the next it is the tensioner (actually twice), and they they tell me it was an oil leak from the timing chain cover. I think there is a design flaw, and they won't admit it. In 4 years, 5 repair incidents.

Turbo replacement after 45,000 miles....really
By scottyp4 on 05/20/11 16:29 PM (PDT)

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is a cool looking car and a blast to drive but the service at the dealer is awful. We have only 45,000 miles on the car and we have already replaced the tires twice, replaced door locks that broke, and now we need a new turbo and a valve job. They claim it's because we don't change the oil often enough but it's funny that they don't tell you this when you buy the car, they don't tell you this when you bring it in, and they don't contact you (like almost every other high quality car manufacturer) when you are due for maintenance.

Unfortunately, I am on a 1st name basis with the members of the Maintenance Dept.
By cicirenne on 04/18/11 17:02 PM (PDT)

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love to drive it but it's in the shop all the time. I purchased my 2007 MINI COOPER S new in Dec 2007. the car has just passed the warranty period & yet another problem occurred that is not covered under warranty. I cannot continue to I make monthly payments & pay for repairs too so have decided to search for a new car and trade this one in. Since I purchased it the driver's side door locking mechanism fell apart, the tensioner has been replaced 2 times, the timing chain replaced, the water pump replaced, the air intake hose & clamps replaced , & the air conditioner fan motor replaced. It eats oil - I have to put 1 qrt of synthetic oil in it every 2500 miles.

Satisfied
By livelifelove77 on 04/08/11 23:46 PM (PDT)

2007 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I've had my mini for about 3 1/2 years; overall I still love it. I think it is unique and it does everything I need it to do; it just drives fantastic. Cons: the tires wear out extremely fast. I seriously have to rotate and get two new tires at least twice a year. I don't understand why they wear so fast, since I'm not a crazy driver and have low milage. I feel like my car turns on maintenance lights fairly often, even though it is never turns out to be serious ( airbag, check engine ) Also, after about and hour and a half the seats get very uncomfortable. Pros: everything else

Great car!
By qwika on 12/15/10 01:00 AM (PST)

2007 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my Mini used in March 2010 with 60,000 miles on it. I was really torn at the time between a Cooper S and a Cooper. I got a great deal on my Cooper and have to say it is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. This car is so much fun to drive, has great gas mileage, and looks. I drive 72 miles one way to work and usually get around 40 mpg on my trips. My trip is through a lot of back roads and highways, and is fun :) even in the snow here in central Pennsylvania. It is so hard to walk past this car without jumping in it a taking it for a drive.

Great Fun When Not In Shop
By Ron M on 09/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought our S new years eve in 2007 Had great experience with the handling and power. It's probably one of the coolest looking cars on the road today. However, my wife and I were discussing our dilemma last night deciding whether to pay the $1800 to repair rear gasket oil leak or trade it in. Now that we are out of warranty it looks like she'll be going. During first 50000 miles had fuel pump issue oxygen sensor,and numerous other problems. Has been in the shop a total of five weeks in the three years we had it.Too bad! We'll miss her but can't afford to keep her!Will trade her in on a Honda.

Reliability?
By used07? on 06/27/10 16:27 PM (PDT)

2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The first mini i drove was a 03 cooper S and i fell in love with it. I just purchased a 07 cooper S used with only 42,000 miles and figured it was a good deal. WRONG! Within the first 3 weeks it wouldn't start and the problem was a coolant temp sensor (warranty covered). The car ran great for about another 3 weeks and now the motor knocks badly and it needs a timing chain according to the service department. Also the transmission has a slow leak. I am terrified about when the factory warranty is up. Mini made a huge mistake in my opinion by letting BMW take control of the motors. I definitely wish i bought a supercharged model rather than the turbo, just way too many issues for my liking.